Synergy Realized

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I remember in the 80's when Time was merging with Warner all the media goons and corporate types evangelizing about the synergy this type of merger would create. Well it took a while but it seems to me we're now living in fully "synergistic" times.

For example I was watching a little bit of Letterman tonight and it was basically just a big ad for Viacom. Some Survivor stuff, a Jack Black interview and a Foo Fighters performance.

Am I the only one who notices this stuff? Am I the only one who thinks its wrong? Should anything be done about this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Yeah, I hardly watch TV any more because it's hard to find anything worth watching between all the crap.

There's nothing wrong with this, per se, since they do own the networks and we live in a free capitolist society. If you don't want to watch it, that's fine. Just change the channel or turn it off.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    stimulistimuli Posts: 564member
    Yes, it's wrong.

**** TV, read a book, or rent a (good) movie.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    stimulistimuli Posts: 564member
    Oh, and it's "AOL-Time-Warner-Turner"
  • Reply 4 of 7
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    They should just rename the conglomerate to "SMW Inc" (Shameless Media Whores)

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: Moogs ? ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 7
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    This isn't really a content issue, but more who controls that content. The same four or so companies, Viacom, T.W./AOL, Vivendi Universal and Disney control most movies and books as well.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    There SHOULD be more actual content on the Time Warner-Turner-AOL channels. Good thing my parents don't use AOL or that company would control all of their media.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I haven't sought after a non-sports television program since the cancellation of Seinfeld. I'm not missing anything.