Apple releases iTunes 9.1 with support for iPad

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
With a few short days before Apple's iPad goes on sale to the masses in the U.S., Apple has released iTunes 9.1 bringing the ability to sync with the new device.

The update is available direct from Apple or via Software Update. It weighs in at 102.1MB. iTunes 9.1, according to Apple, has "several new features and improvements," including the ability to:

Sync with iPad to enjoy your favorite music, movies, TV shows, books and more on the go

Organize and sync books you've downloaded from iBooks on iPad or added to your iTunes library

Rename, rearrange, or remove Genius Mixes

On Monday, details of iTunes 9.1 were revealed, as the new software replaces the existing "Audiobooks" section in the iTunes Source list with the more broad "Books" category. Users will can sort and sync books they purchase through the iBookstore on the iPad when connected to the iTunes desktop client via a USB cable.

The update also improves the "Genius Mixes" feature introduced with iTunes 9 last September. The feature automatically creates a playlist of content using the results of over 27 million music libraries featuring more than 54 billion songs submitted and analyzed by Genius.<

The last update for iTunes, version 9.0.3, came in early February. It provided a number of bug fixes, including the resolution of problems recognizing when an iPod is connected and issues with syncing some smart playlists and podcasts.

Last October, iTunes 9.0.2 added compatibility with the Apple TV 3.0 update, allowing users to share their content with the set top box device. The update also disabled the ability of the Palm Pre to sync with the iTunes desktop client.

Also released Tuesday was QuickTime 7.6.6 for Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard and Windows 7, Vista, and XP. It features a number of security-related fixes and can be downloaded direct from Apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    What about an iPad app catagory? Or are the iPad apps just mixed in with iPhone/ iPod apps?
  • Reply 2 of 44
    Looking forward to synching my iPad with iTunes.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Option booted from my Leopard Clone on a external hard drive.

Leopard users are not left out in the iPhad cold, in case anyone is concerned.

Quicktime 7 gets a update to 7.6.6 too.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I have to wonder if iTunes will become Apples Mac OS e-book reader. I'm busy now, will have to download later. Right now though I could easily leverage a Mac e-book reader that works with Apples new store.

In other words I'm not rushing out to buy an iPad

Dave
  • Reply 5 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

With a few short days before Apple's iPad goes on sale to the masses in the U.S., Apple has released iTunes 9.1 bringing the ability to sync with the new device.

The update is available direct from Apple or via Software Update. It weighs in at 102.1MB. iTunes 9.1, according to Apple, has "several new features and improvements," including the ability to:

Sync with iPad to enjoy your favorite music, movies, TV shows, books and more on the go

Organize and sync books you've downloaded from iBooks on iPad or added to your iTunes library

Rename, rearrange, or remove Genius Mixes

On Monday, details of iTunes 9.1 were revealed, as the new software replaces the existing "Audiobooks" section in the iTunes Source list with the more broad "Books" category. Users will can sort and sync books they purchase through the iBookstore on the iPad when connected to the iTunes desktop client via a USB cable.

The update also improves the "Genius Mixes" feature introduced with iTunes 9 last September. The feature automatically creates a playlist of content using the results of over 27 million music libraries featuring more than 54 billion songs submitted and analyzed by Genius.<

The last update for iTunes, version 9.0.3, came in early February. It provided a number of bug fixes, including the resolution of problems recognizing when an iPod is connected and issues with syncing some smart playlists and podcasts.

Last October, iTunes 9.0.2 added compatibility with the Apple TV 3.0 update, allowing users to share their content with the set top box device. The update also disabled the ability of the Palm Pre to sync with the iTunes desktop client.

This sounds like the best version of iTunes EVER.

Thanks, Steve!!!!!!!
  • Reply 6 of 44
    When I click on Get iBooks in the Books category, nothing happens.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JasonQ13 View Post

I havnt downloaded it yet, but I presume that that's because there's nothing in it yet, or at least no one has an iPad to read them on yet.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:

Probably isn't "active" yet.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    mrkoolaidmrkoolaid Posts: 106member
    I look forward to buying my new iAppsHD and iAppsXL on Saturday. It just keeps getting better!
  • Reply 10 of 44
    mrkoolaidmrkoolaid Posts: 106member
    Quote:

I thought iBooks was a new application?

Doesn't matter as I look forward to buying all my iBooks, iMagazines, and iNewspapers on Saturday. It's a whole new world awaiting!
  • Reply 11 of 44
    I just downloaded and installed iTunes 9.1 and it still displays Audiobooks, with no mention of "Books." Where are you seeing this new category?
  • Reply 12 of 44
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arthur Greenwald View Post

I just downloaded and installed iTunes 9.1 and it still displays Audiobooks, with no mention of "Books." Where are you seeing this new category?

Mine says Books. Did you verify that you are running v9.1 by going to About iTunes?
  • Reply 13 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Mine says Books. Did you verify that you are running v9.1 by going to About iTunes?

Yes. I also selected "Check for Updates" and it said I'm using the most current version.

Is the "source list" the left-hand column of the screen (that contains Playlists, etc.)? If so, there is not even an Audiobooks category there possibly because I don't have any. Or is the source list the top horizontal menu bar of the iTunes Store? There the label still reads "Audiobooks."
  • Reply 14 of 44
    gleepgleep Posts: 3member
    You can also drag-and-drop epub books to iTunes. They show up in your iTunes library and you can edit their metadata. Unfortunately, there is no reader functionality.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    Quote:

Yes. I also selected "Check for Updates" and it said I'm using the most current version.

Is the "source list" the left-hand column of the screen (that contains Playlists, etc.)? If so, there is not even an Audiobooks category there possibly because I don't have any. Or is the source list the top horizontal menu bar of the iTunes Store? There the label still reads "Audiobooks."

I am in Canada and only see Audiobooks. Any chance this is country-specific?
  • Reply 16 of 44
    Never mind. I switched the app store country to USA and didn't see any difference - still says Audiobooks....
  • Reply 17 of 44
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

check your preferences. I had audiobooks turned off as a library category.

if that's not the case, try taking one of your music tracks and relabeling the media type to be audiobook and see if that makes the category appear.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Propofol View Post

I am in Canada and only see Audiobooks. Any chance this is country-specific?

iTunes and the iTunes Store are two completely different things. The update is for iTunes.

You'll see the new 'Books' category in the source list (the left-hand column where your playlists are listed). If you don't see the 'Books' category you have it turned off. Turn it on by going to Preferences and clicking the box next to 'Books.'

The iTunes Store will not show an iBooks category because iBooks can only be read on an iPad. iBooks are only available through the iBookstore on the iPad. You'll need to download the free iBooks app on the iPad to shop the iBookstore and read iBooks.
  • Reply 19 of 44
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I have to wonder if iTunes will become Apples Mac OS e-book reader.

The note in the new "Books" section in your iTunes Library says: "To play an audiobook, just double-click it. To read a book, sync it to an iPad."

Apple could change that line after the iBooks Store goes live, obviously, but I'm not optimistic that they intend for iTunes to function as a book reader.

I'm sure the licensing agreements between Apple and the publishers makes clear whether iTunes can or can't display downloaded books.
  • Reply 20 of 44
    Is the iPad currently available to the "non-masses"?

If not, then the iPad is just going on sale, not "on sale to the masses".