Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.3 with QuickTime X, OpenGL improvements

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

You are correct, this is a kind of voodoo. Early versions of OSX had big problems with corrupting permissions ("permissions rot"). Repairing them periodically was a useful maintenance step. Not any longer.

Even Apple support has a long list of permission errors that you can just ignore.
  • Reply 162 of 172
    verlocverloc Posts: 7member
    Ah well, spoke too soon. Graphics glitches are STILL there. What a POS 10.6 is!
  • Reply 163 of 172
    Went perfect on my hack Pro_didn't even have to restore kexts!
  • Reply 164 of 172
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    I finally gave up.

Reinstalled SL (again) and then downloaded the 10.6.2 combo update. Installed that and the computer now runs "smooth as butter".
  • Reply 165 of 172
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I finally gave up.

Reinstalled SL (again) and then downloaded the 10.6.2 combo update. Installed that and the computer now runs "smooth as butter".

Sometimes that the way to go. with a wonky issue. You're not going to install 10.6.3, then?
  • Reply 166 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Sometimes that the way to go. with a wonky issue. You're not going to install 10.6.3, then?

Not now. I'm too busy to deal with any hassles involving wiping my drive.

I had already tried to reinstall SL and then 10.6.3 combo and that didn't work.

In the near future I'll be buying a new iMac. I'll be transferring data anyway so, at that point, I can wipe the drive, get everything updated to the latest, see how that goes... and then my Wife gets the computer (she's using a G5 20"/Tiger at the moment).
  • Reply 167 of 172
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    You should never have to wipe your drive. Never.
  • Reply 168 of 172
    Quote:

You should never have to wipe your drive. Never.

I agree. After 21 years and at least a dozen Macs I think this is the first time I've ever considered it to fix a software problem.

I can usually fix it "if" I have any problems.

I'm just not too keen on spending too much time to figure this out. It could be a printer driver, ram conflicts, font conflicts, flash conflicts... who knows. Everything has been fine up until now.

I'm absolutely positive that it has something to do with Adobe... flash causes it to go down quite quickly and my CS3 apps seem to take it down shortly thereafter.

A couple of bug reports were sent to Apple. Who knows if that will go anywhere.
  • Reply 169 of 172
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Did you try to remove the Flash plugin?
  • Reply 170 of 172
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

Did you try to remove the Flash plugin?

Yes.

... and then I only had Mail open and bang... it went down again. I think Flash just accentuates the problem.

Smooth as silk with 10.6.2

Thanks.
  • Reply 171 of 172
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

You answered my question. If you simply downloaded the update and applied it without running Disk Utility to at least check the condition of your hard drive then you have no business complaining about any problems you may have. If you failed to make a backup of your data you have no business complaining about problems either.*

Wiseguy. You like to show your the expert, don't ya? Except you aren't.

Ofcourse he trusts an official Apple update and the average Apple user expects that the update procedure does a self check beforehand (even if it doesn't), they don't 'prepare'! We all should expect a basic self integrity check anyway.

Even if you prepare, that doesn't mean the actual update procedure will just work fine. Because you are talking about hardware level here, or software permissions (the latter is being handled by the updater too). Disk Utility doesn't know about possible software update issues that become clear in an updater batch script! That's not its tasks and it couldn't know.

It's a myth that you need to do a Disk Uility HD check before updating. Not that it hurts ofcoirsr, but most of the problems arise when the updater shell script finds something unexpected and doesn't know how to deal with it.

Eg cross-dependency, conflicting software setup, exceptions. All stuff that is flagged okay in 'disk utility land'.

Lastly, who are you to decide wheter he has the right to complain or not? Are you the*the Chief Of Update Police?*

Quote:

Yes, you need to prepare for any update you apply to your system. How do you know your hard drive doesn't have issues that would foul up an update? How do you know your system is healthy and not corrupted? Applying any update to a system of unknown stability is asking for trouble.

Disk Utily doesn't hurt but mostly doesn't help either here. Instead, I'd recommend backing up precious files for convienence (eg when OSX can't boot after the upgrade).*
  • Reply 172 of 172
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    So far this update is just the nuts. Here are some good points.

The Graphics drivers or Quicktime is vastly improved. To which I say about time.

Sync through Mobile Me to me iPhone is somewhat better but they still have issues.

Overall the system is snappier. I know that is cliche but it is a fact and might have something to do with fixed graphics drivers. Whatever it is the system just feels faster once it is booted up.

Some of the bad points:

Finder has problems I've never seen before. This maybe due to responding to multi finger jestures.

Boot up seems to take longer.

While syncing is better it still isn't perfect.

Seems to be a very solid update overall. I've been installing a lot of software lately and generally find things do install quickly.