How to set up multiple profiles for an Express?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My wife is visiting her mother for a couple weeks and the idea is for her to take one of our Expresses with her so she can use wifi while she's there. I was told that the best way to do this is to set up a second profile for 'Travel' on the Express that she'll be taking with her, so she can use that, and not have to change the settings we have for it at home.

I can't figure out how to do this. Anybody know?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    The person giving you the advice was not talking about setting up a profile on the 'Express, but rather a "Location" on the computer. Locations allow you to have multiple sets of networking setups, and to change from one group of setting to another. They meant that you would setup the computer with the information required before you left, and then have your wife set the Location to the one you setup.

In all likelyhood everything is DHCP on both ends, so you don't have to take this step. If your mother-in-law already has WiFi, and it does not have an usual setup, then you are done. If they have a wired connection, then just send the 'Express as-is (assuming that you use DHCP on your end) and plug it in. Anything more complicated than that is going to have to require specific setup information that we don't have.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    I can see how my post could be misintrepreted. Sorry! My mother in law doesn't have wifi, just her computer hooked up directly to a modem. So the idea was for my wife to bring the express so that she can hook that up to the modem and connect wirelessly.

In addition, I'm hoping that she'll be able to use a netgear ethernet switcher so both the desktop and my wife's macbook can be online at the same time, and not have to be switching wires around all the time.

I've figured out how to create another profile for the Express, using airport utility. But all I did was create one, didn't go into it's preferences or anything. Since I don't know the particulars of the modem and ISP at my mother in law's house I'm hoping I can just switch it to the new profile before I power it down here, then when she get's to her mother/s house, she hooks it up to the modem, turns it on and configure it with Airport Utility, and most of the settings it will detect automatically???

Does that sound right?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karl Kuehn View Post

The person giving you the advice was not talking about setting up a profile on the 'Express, but rather a "Location" on the computer. Locations allow you to have multiple sets of networking setups, and to change from one group of setting to another. They meant that you would setup the computer with the information required before you left, and then have your wife set the Location to the one you setup.

In all likelyhood everything is DHCP on both ends, so you don't have to take this step. If your mother-in-law already has WiFi, and it does not have an usual setup, then you are done. If they have a wired connection, then just send the 'Express as-is (assuming that you use DHCP on your end) and plug it in. Anything more complicated than that is going to have to require specific setup information that we don't have.