Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

No. It's "Apple is doomed?!"

But it is snappier.
  • Reply 23 of 293
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Prepare to be blown away in June. It's not about multitasking, it's all about Apple's particular implementation of it. Just like they way they handled copy and paste.

Brilliant.

June??? We'll see this in action on April 3rd, right?

Man, extremeskater is gonna be pissed!!
  • Reply 24 of 293
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    The rest of the industry will end up so far behind Apple.
  • Reply 25 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

... If I put Monopoly in the "background", i sure don't want it to actually be doing anything back there. I just want to be able to quickly switch back to it without having to restart the app and work my way through its menus to get back to my game.

If it's a well written app then it should behave in that way already except that you would actually be quitting and restarting it. In terms of the user interaction there should be no difference except for the possible (minimal) overhead of the quit and relaunch.
  • Reply 26 of 293
    Considering Apple's stance up to now that battery life supersedes the need for multi-tasking, I think we can safely assume they're not going to do a 180 and let people run their batteries into the ground whilly-nilly. There may even be a System Preferences selection for enabling/disabling multi-tasking dependant on whether you feel you need it or not, and whether you're willing to take the battery hit.

It would seem to me that all apps fall into certain categories. And in most cases you're not going to want two apps in the same category running at the same time. For example you're not going to be using the iPod and Pandora radio simultaneously. So the iPhone may prompt you as to whether you want to quit one before starting the other. And certain games probably won't be friendly with an audio application running either, but some might. So apps might have to submit a classification that infers where a conflict would occur. Book and audio app. AOK. Game and twitter app. AOK. Pandora and Fieldrunners. AOK. Pandora and iPod. Hold on- are you sure?

Just a thought.
  • Reply 27 of 293
    I held onto my iPhone v1 for as long as possible until it finally bit the dust last week.

I was pretty disappointed bec/ I knew there was a hardware revision on the way. And although thrilled with my 3GS due to the leap it is over the original, I am sure I'll be one of thousands selling their "near mint" 3GS on craigslist in a few months.
  • Reply 28 of 293
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

You're an idiot. It's a valid complaint. breaking terms of service has nothing to do with being a valid complaint.

I wish I could break into banks and steal a million without getting arrested. That's my complaint. Is it invalid? I think not.

So everyone who disagrees with you is an idiot? Even if I'm an idiot, at least I'll be in good company.

It could be a valid request from a certain perspective, but it isn't a valid complaint (or rant as you worded it). You are not justified in expecting Apple to knowingly allow an app that is designed to break the terms of service of a website.

Quote:

val·id (vāl'ĭd)

adj.

Well grounded; just: a valid objection.

Producing the desired results; efficacious: valid methods.

Having legal force; effective or binding: a valid title.

Logic

Containing premises from which the conclusion may logically be derived: a valid argument.

Correctly inferred or deduced from a premise: a valid conclusion.

Archaic Of sound health; robust.

That is more lip service that you really deserve. Grow up a little.
  • Reply 29 of 293
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    I just love all the little subtle jabs at the other platforms.

Classic!
  • Reply 30 of 293
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    Quote:

Other platform vendors do not mandate rigid security for their software libraries, with Android permissively allowing users to install apps from any source, something that will likely serve as a welcome mat for malicious hackers once that platform gains enough visibility.

Do you mean to tell me that Android does not verify authentic app installs (pirated)?

Quote:

Meanwhile, Microsoft is planning to roll the clock back with Windows Phone 7 later this year, erasing its existing multitasking support for third party apps in Windows Mobile to deliver a model patterned after iPhone 2.0.

Gee, what do you think will happen now when they catch wind of 4.0's expose?
  • Reply 31 of 293
    istudistud Posts: 193member
    Quote:

You're an idiot. It's a valid complaint. breaking terms of service has nothing to do with being a valid complaint.

I wish I could break into banks and steal a million without getting arrested. That's my complaint. Is it invalid? I think not.

• Reply 32 of 293
    The iPod and iPhone have 128MB-256MB of RAM (and no virtual memory) and a CPU between 400MHz and 533MHz. Further, apps have been built for years assuming all of that is available to them.

There is, in fact, a huge technical problem with running multiple modern applications at once.

What Apple probably has waiting in the wings (if anything) is an Expose-like UI that switches between recently-used applications smoothly enough that it looks like they're running simultaneously. If it's very ambitious, it will actually page the application to flash storage when switching. But I think it's more likely that Apple will just make properly saving/restoring state part of the approval requirements, and somehow technically discriminate existing apps in a way to make it obvious to the user that they're using a legacy app.

If you're counting on multiple simultaneous GUI apps, you're going to be disappointed.
  • Reply 33 of 293
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

No. It's "Apple is doomed?!"

Vizzini: APPLE DIDN'T FAIL? INCONCEIVABLE.
  • Reply 34 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Just hopping off the Pedant Express at Grammar Central to point it out it really should be Exposé. All right all right I'm going.

You do mean 'Punctuation' Central?

(Only since it was the Pedant Express!).
  • Reply 35 of 293
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    hitting the Home button twice makes sense

this is going to be awesome.
  • Reply 36 of 293
    rco3rco3 Posts: 76member
    Quote:

There may be an idiot in this conversation, but my guess is that it's the one who doesn't know what the word "valid" means in this context. You may have noticed that personal attacks violate the ToS for this site; you can complain that you should be allowed to call anyone you want to an idiot on here, but it's not a valid complaint. HAND.
  • Reply 37 of 293
  • Reply 38 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GordonPrice67 View Post

Hmmm, the complaint is technically valid, the complainer is a @$#% twit? Jailbreak your bloody phone and do whatever you want, but to bitch and moan that Apple doesn't provide you tools to be a douchebag is just moronic.

Gordon

Wow.... such anger..... go take a walk or something.......
  • Reply 39 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

June??? We'll see this in action on April 3rd, right?

Man, extremeskater is gonna be pissed!!

Clearly you don't really read my posts. The lack of multitasking was the only thing holding me back from getting an iPad. Now that has been resolved I will be getting a 3G model.

Sorry but I am the happiest one here.
  • Reply 40 of 293
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

It's a valid complaint. breaking terms of service has nothing to do with being a valid complaint.

First, you didn't need to do the name calling.

It's not Apple's job to help you download videos from YouTube, YouTube might even have the right to cancel their service to Apple's app. I don't know why you think your examples are valid.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GordonPrice67 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RCO3 View Post

There may be an idiot in this conversation, but my guess is that it's the one who doesn't know what the word "valid" means in this context. You may have noticed that personal attacks violate the ToS for this site; you can complain that you should be allowed to call anyone you want to an idiot on here, but it's not a valid complaint. HAND.

Guys, there's no need to reciprocate the name calling.