iPad "standby widgets" - how possible?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hi all,

I was just having a think about potential cool stuff for the iPad this morning, wanted to know if this would be possible...

The thing I found most disappointing about the iPad demo was the standby screen - okay so it's not so bad on the iPod, but surely scaling that up to iPad size is rather boring? A huge wallpaper and "slide to unlock"... surely there's scope for some really sexy stuff?

If anyone's seen stuff like http://www.mymojito.com/ or http://www.chumby.com/ - there's some great desktop web "stuff" aggregater ideas out there. I was thinking, since the iPod can take peripherals in the dock, that you could create a series of powered docks with IDs, one for work, one for your home office, one for the kitchen, one for your bedside table... And when you plugged in your iPad, rather than it showing the totally blank "slide to unlock" screen, it would show a widget of your choice... So by your bed it would be a nice big clock and alarm, at work it would show your RSS and Twitter feeds, in the kitchen it would bring up your recipe books or work as a television using streaming services, oh and plug it in to a dock on the side table in the lounge and it turns into a picture frame... All by assigning each dock to whatever you like.

If the iPad could be made to do this, then I'd definitely buy one.

:-Joe

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    It acts a picture frame when it is in standby mode.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

It acts a picture frame when it is in standby mode.

It actually pages through pictures, or is it just a screensaver like the iPhone with one picture?

I think it'd be nice to be able to download different "standby apps"
  • Reply 3 of 5
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Do you mean when it's plugged in? Because standby mode is meant to conserve power, right? What would be the point of shuffling through pictures or displaying widgets (that are presumably downloading info from the internet) if it's going to wear down your battery when it's supposed to be conserving it?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    Yes, I mean when it's plugged in.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

It actually pages through pictures, or is it just a screensaver like the iPhone with one picture?

I think it'd be nice to be able to download different "standby apps"

It flips through all your pictures when you place it in the dock, sort of like an OS X screen saver.