Apple's iPhone 4.0 to support multitasking via Expose-like interface

Comments

• Reply 221 of 293
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

The only problem I have with the "double-tap the home button" idea that I haven't seen mentioned on the thread yet is that this exact feature has already been used for other things and lots of people will be a bit ticked off at it being removed.

Double-tapping the Home button was first added (1.1.1. I think), as a way of getting to the music controls. Then it was changed to something you could set in preferences to do pretty much anything, but the main reason was due to complaints form users about how many swipes and pokes it took to start the camera. Apple's advice was to add the camera app to the double-click, as a means of getting away from numerous people who wanted them to add a physical "camera" button to the iPhone.

Since it's been user assigned for so long now, lots and lots of people use the double-tap for the camera, or for another favourite program. Assigning it to multitasking is smart, but there is a down-side for people like me who've gotten used to being able to take a quick snap that way. There will be complaints certainly.

I'm inclined to agree, but as I see this as one of the easiest parts of the puzzle to deal with I don't care about using it in my example. Some other options would be to press and hold the Home button to get the Exposé. Perhaps this could have defaults, but in Settings you choose what you want the double-tap to do and what you want the tap-and-hold to do. This resolves those issues.

I'm not seeing Exposé as the best way to move between apps (only to see which apps are running and to kill them) when there is more than one press of anything involved. I'd love for the Menu Bar to be active for Exposé and/or a robust Notification System available anyplace the Menu Bar is shown.

PS: Very unlikely, but I'd still like it, is the ringer toggle switch to also be a button you can press in. Pressing the Home button to use voice commands or to silence a phone in your pocket isn't would be much easier with this enable.
  • Reply 222 of 293
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Someone ban this idiot.

Haven't you noticed? It's fine to play games and disparage Apple users as much as you want, because the mods actually kinda hate Apple users and are embarrassed by all the fan boys.

Maybe pretty soon we can get it to where this forum is mostly about terrible Apple is, how underpowered, overpriced and pointless their hardware is, and how stupid and sheeplike their users are. Get rid of all the idiots/anyone who is satisfied with their Apple stuff.
  • Reply 223 of 293
    gin_tonicgin_tonic Posts: 163member
  • Reply 224 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gin_tonic View Post

One more piece of lie from Prince

Right on! Good for you! This place blows! It's hilarious, isn't it, how the fan boys and sheep waste their time lying to each other! Apple Insider is a nauseating cesspool of sheep and idiots.
  • Reply 225 of 293
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Right on! Good for you! This place blows! It's hilarious, isn't it, how the fan boys and sheep waste their time lying to each other! Apple Insider is a nauseating cesspool of sheep and idiots.

Quote:

you're either not funny or really sad
  • Reply 226 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

Well, I guess, Apple and Wikipedia do differ on this point. Or Apple is just simplifying things by being imprecise and not writing 'Punctuation and Diacritics'.

In fact, the term 'Punctuation and diacritics' shows up quite a bit in web searches, indicating that these two are indeed separate categories.

But I am open, if you find a somewhat authorative text which explicitly includes diacritics as part of punctuation, I'd be happy to admit that there is at least some variation in the definition.

Enough! Hey guys, can we move this OT punctuation crap to a more pertinent thread... Say, a thread on Perl Regular expressions:

Code:

^[a-zA-Z]([a-zA-Z0-9-]{0,61}[a-zA-Z0-9])?\\.[a-zA-Z]([a-zA-Z0-9-]{0,61}[a-zA-Z0-9])?(\\.[a-zA-Z]([a-zA-Z0-9-]{0,61}[a-zA-Z0-9])?)?$

• Reply 227 of 293
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

It absolutely is not, which is why I'd prefer you to not endorse posts that tend this way.

I don't see how what I wrote there was an endorsement the post in question.

Calling people names is not a solution to the problem.
  • Reply 228 of 293
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Single-tapping the Home button has never been for QUITTING an app as Mail, Safari, Pod, Clock, still run in the background.

I understand that the iPod app can play music in the background, and that the clock can sleep the iPhone or play an alarm, but what evidence is there that Mail or Safari do anything similar?
  • Reply 229 of 293
    Quote:

The only reason the vast majority of people wanted multi-tasking was to use internet radio apps while doing other stuff, now they'll be able to do this.

The reason to get excited here isn't multi-tasking, it's faster app switching. I don't use internet radio apps, so it's kind of a "that'll shut them up" addition for me.

The main thing the next iPhone needs is a physically narrow size hardware shell. Like the way the 2G was narrower than both the 3G and the 3G S - even though the display itself isn't narrower. There's room to take it down to 59, even 57 mm wide without touching the display width. Case in point: The iPhone 2G is more comfortable and easier to hold.

I'm curious! Why a narrower iPhone? we have every gen iPhone, some with Mophie JuicePack cases.

I have very small hands and never noticed the difference until you brought it up!

• Reply 230 of 293
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gin_tonic View Post

One more piece of lie from Prince

That's not appropriate, especially without pointing out specifics of how you know he's wrong, no thanks.
  • Reply 231 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

The only problem I have with the "double-tap the home button" idea that I haven't seen mentioned on the thread yet is that this exact feature has already been used for other things and lots of people will be a bit ticked off at it being removed.

Exactly. By default:

Double-press when the phone is locked produces the iPod controls, which is super-handy.

Double-press when the phone is unlocked produces the phone Favorites list, which is super-handy.

Seems unlikely that they'd add multi-tasking into the double-tapping mix. I'll believe it only when I see it (or Steve Jobs personally tells me in advance).
  • Reply 232 of 293
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    As long as multitasking is optional and you can shut it off I would be all for it. If all opened apps will continue to run in the background until you manually shut them off (like safari, ipod and mail apps do already) it would be a big resource hog.
  • Reply 233 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

you're either not funny or really sad

I submit that it is possible to be both "funny" and "really sad" simultaneously; see also Smokey Robinson.
  • Reply 234 of 293
    cimcim Posts: 197member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

As long as multitasking is optional and you can shut it off I would be all for it. If all opened apps will continue to run in the background until you manually shut them off (like safari, ipod and mail apps do already) it would be a big resource hog.

It?s a good thing that Apple isn?t going to do that.
  • Reply 235 of 293
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

This makes so much sense on the iPad, because it does not have a camera! On the iPhone my double home opens my camera, please do not tell me I will have to choose multitasking or the camera? Is something amiss?

There are other things a double press can open on an iPhone that are shared with the iPad. in OSX there are user configurable settings for the F keys, hot corners, and trackpad gestures. The home button exhibits some of that functionality in iPhone OS. I would expect Apple to expand upon that in 4.0.
  • Reply 236 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Push notification isn't going anywhere. In a lot of instances it is better than multitasking, and that will remain true even if multitasking is implemented.

I just fear that backgrounding will be easier to implement programming wise so developers will just implement the easiest thing not caring about the performance ramifications compared to the notification scheme. It would be very disappointing to see that happen because it could limit the amount of apps that I currently use.

Not that it matters what I think. Apple and developers will do what they want regardless.
  • Reply 237 of 293
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

I understand that the iPod app can play music in the background, and that the clock can sleep the iPhone or play an alarm, but what evidence is there that Mail or Safari do anything similar?

Well, Mail has timed Fetch and Push options. You can also click on the refresh button in Mail and then leave the app while it downloads any new mail. Same goes for composing; you can leave the app before it's sent knowing it will still run the appropriate services in the background.

In v1.0-2.x Safari was often a nightmare, you'd leave the app and come back and it would refresh the page you had already loaded to read or that you had partially composed a message in. This was especially problematic with the iPod app running and multiple pages open. There just wasn't much RAM.

With v3.0 Apple made Safari, at least on the 3GS, maintain the pages without a reload and even allowed it to run in the background. You can go to any number of web-based music streaming sites, start streaming music and and press the Home button to keep the audio playing. This has been a common workaround for the lack of streaming audio App Store apps running in the background for a year now.
  • Reply 238 of 293
    Quote:

You're amiss.

iKid

Took your poll... I'm in the plurality (2 out of 4 votes).
  • Reply 239 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

Well, I guess, Apple and Wikipedia do differ on this point. Or Apple is just simplifying things by being imprecise and not writing 'Punctuation and Diacritics'.

In fact, the term 'Punctuation and diacritics' shows up quite a bit in web searches, indicating that these two are indeed separate categories.

But I am open, if you find a somewhat authorative text which explicitly includes diacritics as part of punctuation, I'd be happy to admit that there is at least some variation in the definition.

Nah.... my interest or knowledge does not extend that far. Apple's is good enough for me.

We can, however, agree that Pedant Express's 'Grammar' reference was incorrect!
  • Reply 240 of 293
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I'm curious! Why a narrower iPhone? we have every gen iPhone, some with Mophie JuicePack cases.

I have very small hands and never noticed the difference until you brought it up!

I noticed it myself for a while, and then I saw Gruber talking about it. Since my 3G was sold I've been using my old 2G and noticed how much nicer it was to hold, leading me to investing the matter. It turns out the issue is the width of the iPhone, which is 1.1 mm thinner, and nicer in the hand.