Research in Motion ships record 10.5M BlackBerries, shares slide

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
BackBerry maker Research in Motion reported strong sales for its fiscal Q3 2010 but saw its shares slip some 7% as both revenues and shipments fell short of Wall Street's expectations.

The Canadian smartphone maker said it shipped 10.5 million units during the three-month period ended February while adding 4.9 million net new subscribers. Analysts, however, had expected closer to 11 million units.

By comparison, Apple shipped 8.7 million iPhones during its first quarter of 2010, which ended in December. The fiscal quarters of the two rivals are always offset by two months, which means there's never been precise data available to the public for a direct comparison of iPhone and BlackBerry sales over a set three-month span. RIM's Q3 ended in February.

Apple only sells the iPhone on AT&T in the US and has not dramatically discounted its smartphones in "buy one get one" offers. RIM has expanded its sales largely through lower priced models such as the popular BlackBerry Curve. Even so, RIM's profit margins came in at 45.7%, higher than many analysts has expected.

Despite lots of good news, it appears RIM's earnings reports triggered a selloff due to unrealistic expectations.

Shaw Wu of Kaufman Bros said, "the results frankly were a little disappointing in light of the guidance," noting that although RIM's profit margins were above many forecasts, unit shipments still missed Wall Street's targets. "Expectations got a little out of hand."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    So 5.25 million of those were/will be given away from free then.
  • Reply 2 of 53
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Could have been 10.5 million iPhones if Apple seized their surprise touchscreen advantage and invaded the business market.

Missed opportunity or deliberate avoidance, guess Apple doesn't deem themselves good enough for the enterprise space. Oh well, back to fruity phones, colorful icons and cheap games instead of serious business tools.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Could have been 10.5 million iPhones if Apple seized their surprise touchscreen advantage and invaded the business market.

Missed opportunity or deliberate avoidance, guess Apple doesn't deem themselves good enough for the enterprise space. Oh well, back to fruity phones, colorful icons and cheap games instead of serious business tools.

I've read this post several times now, and still can't discern its meaning.
  • Reply 4 of 53
    katonahkatonah Posts: 95member
    Apples 1st Q 2010 ended in December 2009?

No wonder this stuff is confusing!

• Reply 5 of 53
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prince McLean

Apple only sells the iPhone on AT&T in the US and has not dramatically discounted its smartphones in "buy one get one" offers.

Holy shit, not that retarded argument again.

The iPhone is available in many countries for free. International sales now make up well over half of all iPhone sales. Since it's free, that means that there's effectively a "buy one get a billion free" offer on iPhones!

No, wait, that's stupid logic. You still have to pay the contract for several years. In both instances. Buy one get one free isn't. Remember those "total cost of ownership" graphs that Prince McLean used to trot out on a regular basis? Now he's using the opposite logic.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    istudistud Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

You are certainly spot on, SpotOn! If apple is good at something is at being focused and keep their products aimed at a specific target market. The consumer market and perhaps an ad hoc hybrid consumer/business market (but this seems to be a bonus, a "halo effect" it you may) is what they are targeting with the iPhone.

The cheap games are reserved to flash, and the fruit logos, they're yummy, especially with yogurt in the morning. Fancy some?
  • Reply 7 of 53
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    People still use those things?
  • Reply 8 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Yes, people still use iPhones. But the market is dramatically changing. Here is what Prince McLean doesn't want you to know: http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...the-way-up.ars (the first chart).
  • Reply 9 of 53
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    They probably meant Q3 of 2009

"Research in Motion reported strong sales for its fiscal Q3 2010"
  • Reply 10 of 53
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Katonah View Post

Apples 1st Q 2010 ended in December 2009?

No wonder this stuff is confusing!

It's not uncommon for corporations to have fiscal years that do not coincide directly with calendar years. If I recall correctly, Apple's fiscal quarters don't even end on the last day of the month; I think it's the last Saturday. All of Apple's fiscal quarters are thirteen weeks long, except for the infrequent fourteen week quarter to make up for the slippage.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

They probably meant Q3 of 2009

"Research in Motion reported strong sales for its fiscal Q3 2010"

No, the fiscal year determination is based on when it ends. Research In Motion's fiscal year ends in May 2010, hence they are in the last quarter of fiscal 2010 (Q4FY2010).

I should point out that the US federal government's fiscal year ends in September (edit: oops!). If you ever took a civics class here in the United States, you would know that. The US government is in fiscal 2010.
  • Reply 11 of 53
    roboduderobodude Posts: 273member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TiAdiMundo View Post

Yes, people still use iPhones. But the market is dramatically changing. Here is what Prince McLean doesn't want you to know: http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...the-way-up.ars (the first chart).

Sorry mate, but that doesn't prove anything in terms of sales. RIM outsells both the iPhone and Android if I recall, but is at the bottom. Most of the stuff Quadra says is tongue in cheek.

Also, everyone these days seems to have a Blackberry.
  • Reply 12 of 53
    Apple's quarters occur at times that are different from those of others.
  • Reply 13 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

I should point out that the US federal government's fiscal year ends in June. If you ever took a civics class here in the United States, you would know that. The US government is in fiscal 2010.

The federal government's fiscal year ends Sept. 30.
  • Reply 14 of 53
    Quote:

Apple sells only two models.

When you flood the market with a bunch of models (because you can't produce any ONE that is an iPhone-Killer) it's pretty easy to boost growth.

Come June, these also-rans will be in for quite a shock. Again.
  • Reply 15 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

Sorry mate, but that doesn't prove anything in terms of sales.

That is absolutely right. I just tried to point out that the market moves very fast and that the importance of some platforms change fast. Market share is one indicator and traffic share may be another.
  • Reply 16 of 53
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

The federal government's fiscal year ends Sept. 30.

Fat-fingered fumble + end-of-day brain fart = fail.

I guess I was thinking about my company's fiscal.

• Reply 17 of 53
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

What's interesting is that you wanted the other charts ignored.

It's foregone conclusion that Android will surpass the iPhone is ad stats, mobile site stats, and unit sales. There are just too many vendors pushing out too many cheap phones.

What isn't certain is whether these vendors can make more money than Apple, the only thing these companies care about. I still nothing to suggest that the Apple will be outclassed or out-profited by Motorola, HTC or Nokia, etc.
  • Reply 18 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Yes, the IT industry isn't exactly on cutting edge productive technology.

If IT had it their way, they would still be forcing employees to use DOS systems.
  • Reply 19 of 53
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I should point out that the US federal government's fiscal year ends in September (edit: oops!). If you ever took a civics class here in the United States, you would know that. The US government is in fiscal 2010.

It probably depends on the curriculum. I did know that they had started around that time of the year, but I don't remember civics covering it. But it's been a few years for me too.
  • Reply 20 of 53
    Quote:

Fat-fingered fumble + end-of-day brain fart = fail.

I guess I was thinking about my company's fiscal.

Not intended to embarrass, just to set the record straight for those who collect trivial information. I guess that would include me.