First sanctioned iPad reviews speak favorably of new device

Comments

• Reply 81 of 186
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    If you jailbreak the iPad, you can run Chrome OS or Linux Mint.
  • Reply 82 of 186
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There looks like there are several Flash blocking extensions for Chrome, although I think all bets are off once it gets incorporated into the OS.
    One thing I find interesting about Chrome OS is the potential of competition on tablets (along with Android OS). I think Google would be smart to market Flash in Chrome OS for competing tablets while also working to remove the need for Flash on their backend. It's a win-win for them.

I wondered about that-- I mean the chance that making Flash a component of the Chrome OS would make it unblockable.

For anyone used to using ClickToFlash, using a machine without is like stabbing yourself in the eye. If Chrome based machines can't use Flash blockers, that's actually going to be a negative for a non-trivial number of potential buyers, I would think.

It's one thing to trumpet the fact that your machine delivers "the full internet." It's another to discover that you can't shut the damn thing off.
  • Reply 83 of 186
    caljomaccaljomac Posts: 122member
    Wait till 'the rest' of the bloggers get it. Then it'll be hated for all the little things
  • Reply 84 of 186
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

For anyone used to using ClickToFlash, using a machine without is like stabbing yourself in the eye. If Chrome based machines can't use Flash blockers, that's actually going to be a negative for a non-trivial number of potential buyers, I would think.

This is why I start blocking things at the router.

You can use a DNS cache-poisoning script on your Tomato-based router as the preliminary ad-blocking defense. (No, this is not an April Fools hoax.)

http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=57556

I still use ClickToFlash on my Firefox browser based computers.
  • Reply 85 of 186
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member
    Quote:

all positive reviews will be evidence of being in the tank for apple. All negative reviews will be a refreshing example of "refusing to drink the koolaid." robust early sales will be because fanboys will buy anything apple makes. Delighted reports of early adopters will be evidence of the stupidity of apple's customers. Reports from people who "played with one at best buy and thought it sucked" will be proof of epic fail.

Being an apple basher means you never, ever have to acknowledge success.

+1
  • Reply 86 of 186
    grkhetangrkhetan Posts: 17member
    I read through all the 4 reviews -- and part from the "for the techies review" section from David Pogue's reviews -- all the reviews were full of praise.

People like us who have never felt the iPad in our hands (yet) can feel like its an iPod Touch -- whats the big deal...

But the people who have used it for a week -- are praising it. Basically whenever you want to browse the internet casually -- like appleinsider -- why do you need to use the laptop? You need a simple, sexy device -- easy to use, fast, fun, and beautiful, intimate -- thats what the Ipad is -- and it fits the bill perfectly. The apps only widen its scope of usage...

Amazing thing. I cant wait to get my hands on the 3G version.
  • Reply 87 of 186
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    I'm surprised the early reviews have been so favorable. I can't wait to try mine.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

Trolling this forum has gotten to be a chore. I come for good input and advice concerning apple's products and instead see the same 8 to 12 people ganging up on someone that (especially in THIS case) intelligently disagrees with them.

And these same people claim they are NOT mac Fanboys, are being non-biased, and that anyone that disagrees with them is a troll.

I read one entire forum wherein these same people wondered how long it would take the mods to ban someone that disagreed with them.

Apparently one cannot come here for advice or actual bi-partisan insight. That wasn't possible in grade school, high school, and apparently not here either.

This is sad.

The world run by hypocrites and those in the microcosm can't do their part to be a voice of reason.

Looks like I'll have to go o mac rumours to get my news from now on.

It's where AI gets most of their articles anyway......

See ya.

The problem is that many of the people who disagree with the so-called fanboys don't bring anything new to the forums. What I feel is that they post simply to incite other members here.

Let's face it, if you're a member here it's more than likely because you have an interest in Apple, and more than that really, you own an Apple product. I'd say a majority of the people who disagree with those people don't in both cases.
  • Reply 88 of 186
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Nevermind...
  • Reply 89 of 186
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Can't wait to get my 64GB iPad WiFi+3G
  • Reply 90 of 186
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    I've read all the reviews.... and what they're saying reminds me of an old joke:

What's the worst sex experience you've ever had?

... MARVELOUS!

Just substitute iPad for sex (figuratively, not literally)

BTW, AI... is there any way to enter strikeout text?

• Reply 91 of 186
    Quote:

I'm starting to worry about SpotOn-- he appears to be in an steadily mounting panic that the iPad might actually be well received and used and enjoyed by lots of people. How else to explain his constant posting about a device he doesn't much care for, with increasingly strained efforts to put a negative spin on what has primarily been pretty upbeat news?

I mean, quoting Woz to offset the uniformly positive early reviews, and having mischaracterize his remarks just to eke out even that little bit? How many ways are there to say "But it's just a big iPod!"? Grim.

SpotOn is an alias... his real name is SpoutOff.

• Reply 92 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

This thing will be ferociously killed by the critics. It will also be a runaway success (I predict). The thing is that MOST people don't give a flying fck what techies think. The iPad may have shortcomings and users may have to make compromises as a result but for MOST people a regular computer (including Macs) delivers an experience so poor that I am sure the iPad will be like a breath of fresh air. 'Normal' computers make most people feel stupid rather than empowered. The other important point already alluded to by other posters is that this is rev one iPad with a new OS waiting in the wings. Give it a few months.

I think my cousin's predicament will prove to be typical. He is buying one for his wife but is certain he'll get one, too, eventually. His kid s getting a Mac for his birthday but that's not until late summer. My cousin imagines there'll be much "who's been messing with my iPad" going on with everyone requiring their own sooner rather than later.

You nailed it!

• Reply 93 of 186
    Quote:

I agree with the Boing Boing review-- the thing that will really seal the deal for the iPad are apps we haven't even imagined yet.

From day 1 I've thought that one of the most interesting things about the single app, full screen model when applied to a device as big as the iPad is that it makes into sequentially different devices, for all intents and purposes. When it's running the ebooks app, its not a computer running an app, it's a book. A very clever and flexible book, sure, but in terms of how you hold and deal with the thing, it's a book.

Or a map. Or a musical instrument. Or a day planner. Or a video viewer. Or..... we haven't seen yet. A drawing tablet? A sophisticated touch synth? Something no one has thought of?

I just don't think you can overestimate the psychological impact of having the entire device be turned over to the UI of a given application, with nothing on the hardware betraying the sense of dedicated appliance. I think it will be very different from simply running an app on a computer in full screen mode, because that still has a bunch of "computer" UI and hardware cues and a bunch of "computer OS" cruft that you can't get rid of.

The iPhone pioneered the idea of the screen being the UI, with as little hardware as possible to get in the way. The iPad takes that idea and (literally) expands it, to a size that's analogous to any number of real world objects that we're used to interacting with.

I believe the future of computing is just this: abandoning the "container" of the "computing experience" and letting the technology work invisibly to create the illusion of a perfectly adaptable, endlessly changeable blank slate.

Wow! Well said!

It's not a computer, not an appliance... it's an experience(s)!

• Reply 94 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by harleighquinn View Post

I won't name names.

All I will say is that on any given article forum on AI I have seen that over 3/4 of the actual comments are a litany of attacks on someone labeled as a "troll".

By definition, I would be a troll. I come, I read the articles, I read a few comments and if I feel the need or require extrapolation, I comment myself.

The term "troll" is another work of bastardization of the english language morphasized to mean what those in the consensus elected it to mean, when it already had a well documented definition.

In any case, it is the same offenders always ganging up on the same people.

If someone disagrees with you, deal with it. Move on. It's like a critique in creative writing class.

But ganging up on someone? That's pretty childish. And hypocritical. Especially when those doing it have been witnessed crying foul when it has been done to them.

Let me take a stab at explaining it. I usually avoid feeding or discussing the trolls... this thread is an excepption.

To the point: This is a site to present Apple-related articles and forums to discuss the details pro and con. Some of the articles are biased, but most are fine

Most of the people (evidenced by their posts) come here to discuss the topics in a reasoned, intelligent and polite fashion.

Others (evidenced by their posts) come here to disrupt the discussion. An example is to take a completely arbitrary (usually contrary) position. For example, the iPad is shit because...

Then a few posts later, take the complete opposite position: the iPad will be a great success.

Often these flip-flops take place multiple times during the thread.

The attempt appears to be to educate us and protect us from ourselves... or just stir the pot!

After reading a few threads containing posts of this type, others notice who is doing the posting, and usually ignore the posts.

However, after several days of the same disruptive behavior... the mods will usually ban the offender.

Not, detered, the offender assumes a different alias and renews the spew.

Its gotten so that others can recognize the troll by his MO. For example: SpotOn has the same MO as IGenius who was banned a while back.

Like I said, most serious members usually ignore the troll. But, after being called names, being told what to think and whats good or bad, ad infinitum over and over... it makes intelligent discussion impossible.

At this point, most reasoned people just abandon the thread.

Sometimes, though, it becomes too much and some (me included) will gang up on the troll and ridicule him.

I guess that this just satisfies an inner instinct!

Guilty as charged.

• Reply 95 of 186
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Let me take a stab at explaining it. I usually avoid feeding or discussing the trolls... this thread is an excepption.

Geez, why on earth are you guys trying to explain anything to anyone that claims that this forum suxxors and is full of bullying fanbois but won't bloody leave after having his little tantrum and saying he was off for the greener pastures of MacRumors?

The most amusing thing? His line about how the world is run by hypocrites and folks that can't do their part to be a voice of reason and folks here are childish.

OMG...we need a new smiley where tears are running down the face from laughing so hard.

Oh, and he needs to look up the word agnostic.

Good luck and Godspeed buddy!
  • Reply 96 of 186
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    @ Dick Applebaum (above)

Very succinctly put. I would just add that this concerted effort at wilful disruption is working. Threads are sidetracked, become clogged with ignored posts and the people who fall for the bait and respond to them, and the whole forum has become disjointed, petty and fractious. The management of this site really need to get on top of this soon, because these forums have less and less value every day.
  • Reply 97 of 186
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I want to hear what Rob Enderle and John Dvorak have to say. Two totally unbiased experts in the field that should present intelligent perspectives.

What did I just say?!
  • Reply 98 of 186
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What SpotOn has conveniently not addresses and odd spreads out with separate quotes is Pouges dual-review which first got out of the way all the negative points "techies" would say. It seemed a bit tongue-in-cheek to me. His review for consumers is exactly the tone AI quoted in the article.

Yes, he was definitely mocking the "techies".

EDIT: And the comments from the "techies" in response to Pouge's review are predictably hilarious in that context.
  • Reply 99 of 186
    applerulezapplerulez Posts: 108member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

But why your anger and why here? Is it that:

1) you just love a fight?

2) someone is paying you to spew FUD?

3) you truely believe it is your mission in life to save Apple fans from their Apple products?

4) ...I don't know, is there another possibility that would make you seem less annoying?

Please dont feed the troll's.
  • Reply 100 of 186
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Hmmm?

'Favorably' is all good and well, but it's hardly the 'magical' device that Stevie J so enthusiastically proclaimed it to be.

We'll See How This Plays Out...

I just want to highlight this post and reinforce why you are, and continue to belong on, the Ignore List.