Apple predicted to sell all 200K-300K iPads built for launch weekend

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It's all fun and games until the HP Slate hits the shelves. At least you're getting a real OS with that, not some watered-down, crippled phone OS. Apple was too lazy to scale down OS X so we got another iPhone, but you can't make calls on it. Awesome.

It's all fun and games until the HP Slate flops. This has been tried and tried before. Full desktop OS interface does not work on a small form factor, let alone touch based. Although you can run native applications on it, don't expect developers to optimize their apps for the HP slate.

For a multitouch slate device to work well, the OS has to adapt a new paradigm of user interaction for that specific form factor. Just look at the consoles like Wii; the clutter is tucked away. All fullscreen, no windowing, large buttons.

You stated that a real OS is better than the watered down version then say that Apple was just LAZY to scale down it's desktop OS is contradictory.

If they were lazy like Microsoft, they would never scale down the OS altogether, just port it directly.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

He has compared the introduction of the iPad to the iPhone debut, when Apple sold handsets for $499 without contract in 2007.

Never happened.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleRulez View Post

It DOES have uSB, Troll. You just need an adaptor.

I'm glad that nothing will connect directly to the iPad, except for Apple's authorized dock-connector equipped devices.

If you could connect just anything to the iPad, there would be total chaos, like W*nd*ws.

I can't tell if you're joking or or what. But if you think I'm a troll maybe you should visit my web site: http://murphymac.com
  • Reply 24 of 36
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

It's all fun and games until the HP Slate hits the shelves. At least you're getting a real OS with that, not some watered-down, crippled phone OS. Apple was too lazy to scale down OS X so we got another iPhone, but you can't make calls on it. Awesome.

1. iPad OS is actually a watered-up iPhone OS

2. iPhone/iPad OS is a scaled down OS X

3. It's no more or less lazy to scale up a phone OS into a tablet form factor than it is to scale down a desktop OS. It's just a different direction.

It is however a lazy point to make. 2/10 for trolling effort, 0/10 for originality. Watered-down troll.
  • Reply 25 of 36
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Are you just being provocative

Of course he is.

He pre-ordered two and will stand in line Saturday to get another.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Did Apple ever issue a press release on pre-sales numbers? I don't remember one. If this device sold out fast, they would have announced it to the world...

it's not Apple's style. Because someone can cancel a preorder or not pick up a reservation.

Once the opening weekend numbers are locked in then they will announce. Sometime next week is likely. Or they might wait until they hit some particular high number so they can say they sold X in Y days and add Z of that was on opening day. Whatever makes the best PR headline.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I think he's been possessed by the ghost of teckstud.

I think it's just that he's enjoying April Fool's
  • Reply 28 of 36
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Windows 7 on tablet...hmmm.... I don't trust OS which is not designed specifically for the job and I don't think 7 is able to handle touchscreen as good as iPad.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

Maybe, but if you click on the Audio button next to his post, it certainly sounds like demonic possession to me.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I think he's been possessed by the ghost of teckstud.

My thoughts, too.

Quote:

Ah, I wondered what the heck was happening.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    Quote:

Spot on.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Who said you can't make calls from it ?? ... of course you can.

Not that that is the reason that I or most people would get one, but Skype should work just fine ...

Quote:

... so we got another iPhone, but you can't make calls on it. Awesome.

• Reply 33 of 36
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Maybe, but if you click on the Audio button next to his post, it certainly sounds like demonic possession to me.

Audio button?
  • Reply 34 of 36
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Audio button?

Yes, the audio button, right next to the post number, so that when people record a version of their forum comments you can click it to listen to them.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Audio button?

nope, it's another april fool's joke
  • Reply 36 of 36
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

nope, it's another april fool's joke

Arrrggghhh, I have been fooled!