Apple exploring head-mounted display in form of glasses

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    I am sure this guy will defend his IP(hone).

• Reply 22 of 43
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Apple should focus on cleaning up the App Store and putting full OS X on their MaxiPad, never mind more ridiculous patents.

Take a deep breath. Companies patent their wild ideas years before they use them so if someone wants to step up first,at least they get royalities. Besides typically there's two groups dealing with new ideas and current products so the two don't affect each other.

And get over the whole 'full OS x on the ipad' thing. it's not likely to ever happen and certainly not for a long time. the hardware is not there yet, in power or price. No one is making you get an ipad so don't. No one is making you read the articles about it, so don't. So how about you stop making every unrelated article into a forum for ranting about your ipad hate.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

An augmented reality type device may be the next big thing from Apple after the iPad, but it's better not look like this.

and it likely won't. initial sketches are merely the idea. it will likely end up being some aviator style thing that's also sunglasses, designed by some fashion guy that is a friend of steve's and so on.

Quote:

This has got to be an April Fools joke.

it's not. you can find the patent in the proper databases.

Quote:

This reminds me of the laptop patent that slides in to the side of an iMac.

actually a lot of folks are still waiting for that display dock, so much so that they were sure the ipad was going to work in just such a way.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maciekskontakt View Post

Aprils fools ;-) Did they figure out eyelash gestures?

Looks like someone is watching the new 'V' series.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    I heard from an inside source that this is an actual product that uses augmented reality to utterly erase the device from existence. The final version will actually have eye tracking and lasers that will shoot the image straight into the eyes of everyone present. This technology will render the glasses invisible or change the environment for everyone present (or turn TekSTUD in to the troll he is).
  • Reply 25 of 43
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Apple should focus on cleaning up the App Store and putting full OS X on their MaxiPad, never mind more ridiculous patents.

Your signature is hilarious!!! LOL
  • Reply 26 of 43
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Filed for on Aug. 30, 2008, the application is credited to Quin C. Hoellwarth.

That is not me.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    zeromeuszeromeus Posts: 182member
    Let's look at the "gadget" and think about it.... putting an iphone into the slot would cover up half the glass.. according to that picture. This means you'll be using TWO iphones to use up the entire glass there. Who in their right mind would wear TWO iphones on their head? Have you try holding your iphone up to your eyes? Can you SEE anything that close? Try it now... ok.. now have fun with the rest of the April Fool's day jokes.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BB Sting View Post

Well, if anyone's gonna invent a holodeck it'll be Apple, unfortunately the brains AND the balls behind Apple's aggressive strategies won't be with us forever

As Steve Jobs said at the D5 conference years ago: I want Star Trek. Just give me Star Trek!
  • Reply 29 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

Apple did it again! It is just sooo stylish! I want one of those, the day they come out!

Me too! I hope that they will only work with iProducts. But watch Palm try to make them work with the Pre! All they ever do is to steal from Apple.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andyapple View Post

iSaw.

iEyes!
  • Reply 31 of 43
    hypermarkhypermark Posts: 152member
    If interested in some of the application scenarios, I wrote a post last year envisioning just such a direction for the iPhone:

3D Glasses: Virtual Reality, Meet the iPhone

http://radar.oreilly.com/2009/06/iph...l-reality.html

Excerpt: Framing the point a bit further, 3D Glasses are a kind of "meta" platform built to embrace and extend the iPhone Platform vis-Ã*-vis application specific libraries, open APIs, custom tools and of course, the glasses themselves, to enable third-parties to create their own 3D/VR-powered applications. The clearest way to think about the 3D Glasses Meta-Platform - let's call it X-Ray Specs - is as being a composite of a Runtime Layer, a Physical Glasses Layer and a Cloud Service Layer.

Check it out, if interested.

Mark
  • Reply 32 of 43
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zeromeus View Post

Let's look at the "gadget" and think about it.... putting an iphone into the slot would cover up half the glass.. according to that picture. This means you'll be using TWO iphones to use up the entire glass there. Who in their right mind would wear TWO iphones on their head? Have you try holding your iphone up to your eyes? Can you SEE anything that close? Try it now... ok.. now have fun with the rest of the April Fool's day jokes.

The first time I saw it I thought the phone was just communicating with the glasses. I didn't really examine the drawings carefully enough to see that the phone actually was to go IN the glasses. OMG (facetiously), I have been punked. Thanks for making me take a second look, I was totally taken in by this. I am indeed an April fool.

Judging from some of the earlier posts, at least I am not the only one.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

HUD Glasses, huh?...

It's not a head-up display. It's a head-mounted display. An HMD.

This is yet another thing that dovetails with Apple's hiring of Richard DeVaul last month. Wearable computers are the next big thing.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    Stuff like this is intriguing, and in the long run, inevitable, but I think it's a way off yet, firstly this display has to be able to be al but fully transparent så you still can look outside.

The information displayed should be super imposed over reality and for full effect react to reality just like the uagmented reality apps for the latest phones, the real breakthrough will be when we get technology to construct displays with wireless communication in a contact lens.

I'm waiting eagerly for those kinds of devices...
  • Reply 35 of 43
    woodewoode Posts: 67member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

An augmented reality type device may be the next big thing from Apple after the iPad, but it's better not look like this. This has got to be an April Fools joke. This reminds me of the laptop patent that slides in to the side of an iMac.

Uh, you do remember Apple's Duo Dock, right? :P

Besides, this headmounted display would look so freakin' awesome that only Lady Gaga could wear it. Or maybe P. Diddy.

• Reply 36 of 43
    iGlasses

get it?
  • Reply 37 of 43
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    I would love to see how Apple would innovate in this space. This is the limit to what I can imagine happening in the next 3-5 years.

Current implementations don't do HD resolutions well. With the push ftrend towards 3d displays, you Gould do some interesting things with iGlasses.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    podlifepodlife Posts: 23member
    The viewer part of this has been worked out by myvu.

http://www.myvu.com/

It's the tracking that could make the Apple version unique.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by podlife View Post

The viewer part of this has been worked out by myvu.

http://www.myvu.com/

It's the tracking that could make the Apple version unique.

Have those become good, yet? I tried the original Myvu and it wasn't a worthwhile experience.

What do you mean by tracking? That worked fine with the demo I used.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maciekskontakt View Post

Aprils fools ;-) Did they figure out eyelash gestures?

Hope it is April Fools!

Can't imagine it.