What's your dream MBP?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

Apple makes 3 13" notebooks. There's no reason why the Air can't have CULV processors with an all day battery,

Some of us would say there is no good reason for AIR but that is another discussion. Given that you believe there is a market for AIR then what you need to do is find a way to increase the units performance while at the same time lowering its thermal demands the CULV processors might help there if the latest generation. Sadly I hear that Intel is a little behind with respect to the latest spins of CULV processors.

Quote:

the Macbook and Pro can't use i5s and i7s. We've already established that it's possible, for a price.

Well obviously not all MBPs would use the i5 and i7 series processors. The issue here is that Arrandale is a better fit on the smaller machines. With the 17" MBP we have a different story altogether.

The obvious thing is that it is a bigger machine physically. Also given that Apple has a couple of initiatives with respect to thin and light computing the top of the line MBP no longer has to be a thinnest benchmark machine. Rather Apple could go after the desktop replacement market with a more performance optimized machine.

So it isn't impossible to build a quad core eight thread laptop and slap an Apple label on it. No this won't be the 15" machine nor the current frame 17" machine but rather a 17 or 19" machine designed for performance over portability. Yes I believe there is a market for such hardware. In fact such a machine could easily live side by side with a very thin 17" model. It would be really impressive if Apple had a thin 17" model of say 5/8" thickness and a fatter high performance model. Mister thin could be freed of the Optical drive and other legacy hardware and the fat boy built to handle that legacy hardware and a quad core processor.

The way I look at it MBP can get a lot thinner if Apple would just take the bull by the horns. They would have to offer an optional machine of course for those that need the additional hardware but that ought to be a snap with their manufacturing methods.

All of this speculation is based on how I currently use my 15" MBP. One thing that is obvious is that I don't need a Optical drive built in. What I do need is an outstanding keyboard (the current one is wanting), thinnest, cool running and better performance. Yeah better performance as a spinning beach ball sucks. I'm even willing to give up Firewire to get that though I'm far more reluctant to give up the Ethernet port.

Dave
  • Reply 42 of 45
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yeah I'd trade an SSD for an optical drive. That'd be HUGE. Of course Apple would probably make you buy their THREE TIMES more expensive SSD rather than ship it to you with an empty bay. But whatever, as long as it's modular and you can swap stuff out easily, I'd ditch the optical and get an SSD. Otherwise I'm going to get a big HDD in my Arrandale MBP 15"...500 or 750 gigs 7200 rpm. I'll get an SSD next year when they're cheaper. OK now we just need the stupid thing released. NEXT TUESDAY. After that there is not even this lame "iPad can't have competition from products not even remotely related to it but whatever I need a reason to excuse Apple for sucking" excuse for being late on the MBPs. Longest...wait...Evar. 300+ days!?!?!
  • Reply 43 of 45
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Yeah I'd trade an SSD for an optical drive. That'd be HUGE. Of course Apple would probably make you buy their THREE TIMES more expensive SSD rather than ship it to you with an empty bay.

Yeah a SSD would be a huge improvement! Frankly it doesn't have to cost a lotto really benefit the users. A SSD of about 128MB would allow one to put your system and apps on it, with data going to a magnetic disk we would have a nicely performing system at relatively low cost.

In any event Apple and the industry in general could really hep things along by adopting an industry standard PCI-Express card for this storage. There is no go reason for a 9 mm thick SSD, an expansion card would allow for low profile mounting even on top of the logic board.

Quote:

But whatever, as long as it's modular and you can swap stuff out easily, I'd ditch the optical and get an SSD.

Swapping is huge, especially when I'm sitting here with an early 2008 MBP where that isn't easy at all. Fortunately the new Apple laptops are a fantastic upgrade from the old in that regard.

Quote:

Otherwise I'm going to get a big HDD in my Arrandale MBP 15"...500 or 750 gigs 7200 rpm. I'll get an SSD next year when they're cheaper. OK now we just need the stupid thing released. NEXT TUESDAY.

I'm actually thinking about upgrading mine. The goal would be a new magnetic drive and a SSD. I would put the SSD where the CDROM is now. On the other hand the laptop is aging real fast performance wise, so I will do nothing until the new machines come out.

Quote:

After that there is not even this lame "iPad can't have competition from products not even remotely related to it but whatever I need a reason to excuse Apple for sucking" excuse for being late on the MBPs. Longest...wait...Evar. 300+ days!?!?!

I'm not sure what Apples excuse is. I'm really hoping it is a case of them implementing new technology that will be compelling. As to next Tuesday, I'm not even sure of that as the rumor mill has heard nothing reliable.

I can wait anyhow as the cash position isn't good right now if you know what I mean.

Dave
  • Reply 44 of 45
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Quad Core IvyBridge / SandyBridge with FMA

28nm Mobile Fermi

Next Gen Intel / Sandforce SSD

15" OLED 1080P Screen

AutoFocus HD Webcam

Fanless Design

BluRay

LightPeak x 4

8GB DDR4 Ram

Bluetooth 4.0

Super Long Battery Life
  • Reply 45 of 45
    zurielzuriel Posts: 53member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pwalker85331 View Post

My dream MBP is one that actually comes out on its own schedule...not a schedule forced upon it by the intro of another product that is apples and oranges.

I know...I know...none of us really know why the MBP seems to be taking its sweet time coming out. It could be any number of things blah blah blah, but I believe it is seemingly delayed because of the imminent iPad-on-sale date. Bring out that stupid thing already so users can get the new MBP.

sooo true