Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Hooked on Fonix werkd four me to!

The big one is the sun!
  • Reply 283 of 293
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

I think you missed his invisible <sarcasm> tags. Now re-read, then go do a Homer.

No I didn't. Ask around others will inform you.
  • Reply 284 of 293
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleRulez View Post

The real underlying problem is that AppleInsider uses crappy software for this forum.

As an example, the word "AppleInsider" has a squiggly red line under it, indicating a misspelling. Same with iPhone! And iPad!

How does you inability to work the spellcheck in your own computer have anything to do with the forum software?

This is just the latest example of your just posting without putting your brain in gear, showing either significant ignorance of basic computing or a complete disregard of facts when you post. My bet is on the latter, as if it was the former you probably couldn't post in the first place.

Come on, if you are going to troll at least do it in a sustainable and logical manner. These idiotic completely incorrect posts just reflect poorly on your handle du jour.
  • Reply 285 of 293
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The only reason the vast majority of people wanted multi-tasking was to use internet radio apps while doing other stuff, now they'll be able to do this.

The reason to get excited here isn't multi-tasking, it's faster app switching. I don't use internet radio apps, so it's kind of a "that'll shut them up" addition for me.

I think that one of the more important use cases enabled by multitasking (or faster app switching) is the ability to have Safari and Keynote or Pages open at the same time so you can more easily cut and paste from one to the other without having to quit, pause, open, pause, search, pause, select, cut, close, pause, open, pause, paste. Or from my GPS app to copy location data over to Numbers or something.

In terms of pure multitasking, there are many apps in specialized domains that want to always be running in the background. A simple GPS location logger is an easy example of this. I used to have a step counter that would have been nice to leave running in background mode.
  • Reply 286 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sdfisher View Post

VM is limited to physical memory deleted for brevity

I wonder what the failure rate for a SSD is these days when VM is turned on. The wear leveling in the iPhone flash is likely not quite up to snuff for use with VM. I'm thinking size of the flash is a limiter too. With a relatively large SSD (64GB+) you have more spare cells I would think.
  • Reply 287 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Bannings rarely happen for a single incident unless it was way out of line.

I recall one user that stopped lurking to say he joined just so he could put one of our village idiots on ignore. And got banned. I thought that was funny from a "moderation on this board is completely borked" kind of way.
  • Reply 288 of 293
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sdfisher View Post

VM is limited to physical memory deleted for brevity

I wonder what the failure rate for a SSD is these days when VM is turned on. The wear leveling in the iPhone flash is likely not quite up to snuff for use with VM. I'm thinking size of the flash is a limiter too. With a relatively large SSD (64GB+) you have more spare cells I would think.
  • Reply 289 of 293
    djdjdjdj Posts: 74member
    One correction: The "multitasking" in Windows Phone 7 is actually going to be a lot more sophisticated than what any version of the iPhone OS has. Applications will be put to sleep when you switch away, so if you come back they'll pick up right where you left off instantly. The apps won't have to re-load and re-initialize. If the OS determines that it needs the memory resources used by an app, it can close it and its state will be preserved. Currently the design won't allow 3rd party applications to run in the background, but it does allow them to be paused in the background for quick wake-up. Not a perfect solution, but better than any other non-fully multitasking phone OS that is available now.

On to Apple...

Apple could come up with a clean way to do multitasking on the iPhone if it really wanted to. The concerns about battery life and poor performance can be addressed, and the iPhone OS already has the tools to make it happen. Up until now it has just decided that they don't want to do that.

One potential solution to this is to require app developers to put processes that they wan to run in the background in their own threads that don't get closed when a user goes back to the Home screen. Restrictions could be placed on those threads, such that they are only allowed to use a certain percentage of available CPU resources, and a certain amount of RAM. These would address both battery life and performance concerns.

Most of the time when people talk about wanting to do multitasking on a phone-sized device, they're not talking about having multiple apps on screen at a time; they want to do things like listen for incoming instant message conversations (or keep them active while using another app), listen to music in the background while doing something else, making a VOIP phone call, or something similar. Those things don't require a full screen GUI or 100% of system resources to keep them going. A small, lightweight thread could pretty easily handle these tasks in the background while a user performs other tasks on the device.
  • Reply 290 of 293
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djdj View Post

One correction: The "multitasking" in Windows Phone 7 is actually going to be a lot more sophisticated than what any version of the iPhone OS has. Applications will be put to sleep when you switch away, so if you come back they'll pick up right where you left off instantly. The apps won't have to re-load and re-initialize. If the OS determines that it needs the memory resources used by an app, it can close it and its state will be preserved. Currently the design won't allow 3rd party applications to run in the background, but it does allow them to be paused in the background for quick wake-up. Not a perfect solution, but better than any other non-fully multitasking phone OS that is available now.

To the end user that's almost the same thing. you still can't do apps like Pandora in the background, just like the iPhone. The rest is just Microsoft's way helping developers to save state. And most iphone apps already do save state on exit very well.
  • Reply 291 of 293
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Those familiar with the design of iPhone 4.0 said that the user interface will resemble Apple's desktop Expose feature, in that a key combination -- reportedly hitting the Home button twice -- will trigger an expose-like interface that brings up a series of icons representing the currently running apps, allowing users to quickly select the one they want to switch to directly. When a selection is made, the iPhone OS zooms out of the Expose task manager and transitions to that app.

It should be something like navigating through the first home screen/search screen upon having pressed home button. Many use true double-clicking home button to go to favorite list.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Two other features seen in pre-release builds of iPhone 4.0 are a global mailbox view and the ability to add individual contacts to the iPhone's home screen, such as a button that will call "Mom" or "Dad" directly. Since the software remains under active development, there's always the possibility that either or both of these enhancements could be chopped in the coming months.

That's true.
  • Reply 292 of 293
    Have you guys ever been right about anything? Your Expose-like multi-tasking turned out to be bunk, like most of your predictions. How embarrassing for you.
  • Reply 293 of 293
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GodsHand View Post

Have you guys ever been right about anything? Your Expose-like multi-tasking turned out to be bunk, like most of your predictions. How embarrassing for you.

Looks like they got it all right except the part about Exposé and who's to say that Exposé wasn't a choice during the Alpha stages or that AI's source was BSing, not AI. What's embarrassing is your parroting another blogger's comment.