iPad a false solution to a minor problem?

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
We are often told now that the iPad will be an ebook reader, but we know already that
  • ebook readers are a tiny market

• ebooks are still a new technology with major problems to do with sharing rights and Big Brother surveillance.

• ebook readers MUST have e-ink screens to be readable for more than an hour or two.

All these things militate against the iPad (or similar clones) becoming an ebook reader of choice.

All that Amazon needs do is introduce a color screen Kindle and they will retake the top ebook reader position.

Furthermore, Apple's failure to include a physical keyboard (slide out or otherwise) with the iPad means that certain other usages like chatting, word processing, and using web forums like this one are effectively prevented.

What's left? Reading magazines. That's a joke.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Moloch View Post

We are often told now that the iPad will be an ebook reader, but we know already that

• ebooks are still a new technology with major problems to do with sharing rights and Big Brother surveillance.

• ebook readers MUST have e-ink screens to be readable for more than an hour or two.

All these things militate against the iPad (or similar clones) becoming an ebook reader of choice.

All that Amazon needs do is introduce a color screen Kindle and they will retake the top ebook reader position.

Furthermore, Apple's failure to include a physical keyboard (slide out or otherwise) with the iPad means that certain other usages like chatting, word processing, and using web forums like this one are effectively prevented.

Color E-ink technology is years away.

Apple didn't "fail" to put a keyboard on the iPad because it's primary input methodology is using your finger. The design goals for the iPad were in principal

1. Fast

2. Lightweight

3. Multifunctional

4. Network centric

What's left is up to the developers and probably beyond the purview of us ordinary blokes.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:

[*]ebooks are still a new technology with major problems to do with sharing rights and Big Brother surveillance.

Where has there been any indication that the government is going to be monitoring or conducting surveillance on our iPads? I must have missed that one. Aside from that, "sharing rights" is a dubious term.

PS: Ahh, I just noticed this was posted in the Temporary Insanity sub-forum. Now the original post makes more (less?) sense.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:

You're making me defend the iPad (and I really hate that), but your diatribe is way off base. Almost everything you said about the iPad could be said about the the iPod and iTunes Music Store back when they were new. The market has to start somewhere.

Additionally, the Kindle has the negative of being nearly as expensive as an iPad (if you want a comparable screen size) and only a one use machine. You can't exactly watch a movie or listen to music on it. On top of that, many people won't buy one until they can see it in person and Amazon doesn't exactly have many retail partners.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

You're making me defend the iPad (and I really hate that), but your diatribe is way off base. Almost everything you said about the iPad could be said about the the iPod and iTunes Music Store back when they were new. The market has to start somewhere.

Additionally, the Kindle has the negative of being nearly as expensive as an iPad (if you want a comparable screen size) and only a one use machine. You can't exactly watch a movie or listen to music on it. On top of that, many people won't buy one until they can see it in person and Amazon doesn't exactly have many retail partners.

Amazon is killing themselves by keeping their kindles at the same prices, everyone wonders what's so great about the ipad, then they look at the kindle DX at $469 and say " you know what, the Ipad is a Great Value! "
  • Reply 5 of 10
    molochmoloch Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Color E-ink technology is years away.

I just saw a demo of it on TV. They were playing videos on the screens, albeit at only about 5 frames per second.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

..., the Kindle has the negative of being nearly as expensive as an iPad (if you want a comparable screen size) and only a one use machine.

I know, Amazon is saying they're going to provide an SDK but they're dragging their feet yet again. It's just sad.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psylence2k View Post

Amazon is killing themselves by keeping their kindles at the same prices

Question is, what's the reason for the high cost. I heard there was a men's magazine that had an e-ink screen glued to the front cover a couple years ago. It's not like the screen are expensive to make.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    All your arguments assume that ebooks are the primary reason for the iPad's existence. In reality, the book reader software isn't even built into the iPad, users have to download it from the app store, that suggests to me that it's not a primary reason for the iPad.

While apple doesn't include a keyboard, but there are some available for it as an option, as a dock or as a wireless bluetooth device.

Maybe the tablet concept isn't going to go anywhere in the long term. But I at least like seeing it tried.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

While apple doesn't include a keyboard, but there are some available for it as an option, as a dock or as a wireless bluetooth device.

You should be able to pair any Bluetooth keyboard including Apple's Bluetooth keyboard with your iPad.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

One day you'll "get it."