Who on Earth would buy the keyboard dock?

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
With the iPad Keyboard Dock:

? No horizontal orientation text input. Ever. No text input into Keynote.

? Odd shape makes it unportable. The dock sticks out at an angle, and it doesn't fold, so it's not an easy thing to fit into a briefcase or backpack.

With the Apple Wireless Keyboard and an Apple iPad Case, you have neither of these limitations. Plus the keyboard works with your Mac.

It just doesn't make sense to buy the integrated dock/keyboard.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Yup

My setup will be

BT Apple Keyboard

Arc stand & iPad.

Nice and

Clean.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    I plan to buy one. I can imagine it residing on the dining table. First thing in the morning, turn on and browse news, read and respond to email, AI. The dock will support the iPad in a perfect viewing position and will allow typing, even with one hand while I hold my third cup of coffee in the other. When not using the iPad, the dock will hold it up showing my extensive photo collection. When breakfast is finished, the iPad is fully charged.

Indeed, I'm going to order all of the accessories. The case will be used extensively. Ditto the camera connector. Ditto the video connector. The basic dock will be used to present the iPad when we have house guests.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    (double posted)
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I plan to buy one. I can imagine it residing on the dining table. First thing in the morning, turn on and browse news, read and respond to email, AI. The dock will support the iPad in a perfect viewing position and will allow typing, even with one hand while I hold my third cup of coffee in the other. When not using the iPad, the dock will hold it up showing my extensive photo collection. When breakfast is finished, the iPad is fully charged.

Indeed, I'm going to order all of the accessories. The case will be used extensively. Ditto the camera connector. Ditto the video connector. The basic dock will be used to present the iPad when we have house guests.

Now look at what Murch posted. Couldn't you imagine having that and the BT keyboard instead? To me it would seem more presentable on the living room table than the keyboard dock. Just sayin'.

Do you not already have an Apple BT keyboard? Are you going to get both? If you don't have one and don't plan on getting one, what if you want to go to Starbuck's and work on a letter or report or something? Are you planning on using the software keyboard for that? Seems to me the BT keyboard would simply make more sense, because it's flat so you can just throw it in your bag with the iPad.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    The big point to me would be when I finish breakfast (usually ten minutes after I need to have left for work ) the iPad will be fully charged.

Also might make a small folding wooden stand for it and paint it to match. I nice Sunday afternoon DIY project!
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

The big point to me would be when I finish breakfast (usually ten minutes after I need to have left for work ) the iPad will be fully charged.

Also might make a small folding wooden stand for it and paint it to match. I nice Sunday afternoon DIY project!

So you have a power outlet at your dining table? What do you do? Run an extension cord?

I prefer not having wires running on my floor where people can trip on them.

Or is your dining table along a wall? Maybe I don't get it.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Snug against a wall for daily use (pulled out for guests); four outlets right under it, two beside it.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    I suppose I could see using the kb dock at my job. I have generous cube space and plenty of outlets. I have already purchased Pages as I sometimes do long-form writing. BT drains the battery while the kb dock charges it. Still I want to see if I can be proficient with the on-screen keyboard before immediately jumping to another solution.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    stevegmustevegmu Posts: 539member
    I bought a Joule stand. It is fantastic. Stable, good viewing angles, sleek design and very portable.

I get almost as many comments about the stand as I do the iPad.