It's official. No MS Office for iPad.

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
April 1 (Bloomberg) -- Microsoft Corp., the world?s largest software maker, has no plans to make a version of its Office suite of programs to run on Apple Inc.?s iPad, said Stephen Elop, president of Microsoft?s business division.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...no-threat.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Docs To Go will likely fill the bill for those who want it. The real question is will Apple make a version of Pages for Windows? Once they taste it on the iPad, another revolution might be in the making.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    It is Microsoft's loss

Apple should offer iWork on Windows. It might cut into MS Office monopoly and help Mac OS X become less dependent on MS Office for Mac.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    undo redoundo redo Posts: 164member
    I guarantee MS will change their minds when they see millions of potential customers out there with iPads, clamoring for Office.

What I want is a copy of Pages for my Mac for $10, like is being sold for iPad.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

It is Microsoft's loss

Apple should offer iWork on Windows. It might cut into MS Office monopoly and help Mac OS X become less dependent on MS Office for Mac.

Better still. Apple should install all the MS fonts in Office into iWork by default. And Apple should build MSN compatibility into iChat.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

April 1 (Bloomberg) -- Microsoft Corp., the world?s largest software maker, has no plans to make a version of its Office suite of programs to run on Apple Inc.?s iPad, said Stephen Elop, president of Microsoft?s business division.

Corrected entry:

April 1 (Bloomberg) -- Microsoft Corp., the world?s largest idiota, said Stephen Elop, president of Microsoft?s business division....
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Provided Apple could provide conversion to MicroSoft systems, I could care less about MicroSoft anything. I only want the conversion in the event I send things to colleagues that still use MicroSoft machines. Try as I might, some still refuse to buck the corporate sway... I will be buying my iPad later this month to get the 3G.

Go Apple..... Lets get this iPad rocking and then get to iPhone 4 going..
  • Reply 7 of 16
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    why do you need office

what about

open office

google docs

iwork

bunch of other cloud based products
  • Reply 8 of 16
    undo redoundo redo Posts: 164member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

why do you need office

what about

open office

google docs

iwork

I don't but millions of others seem not to be able to live without it. It has become kind of a standard, I suppose. I don't know Office so that has made it harder to find a job.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

why do you need office

what about

open office

google docs

iwork

Because Apple fraks up my formating every time I try to open a Word document in there. It's horrible. Never mind that the file system on the iPad makes running a business with it on the fly almost impossible.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Broncsx3 View Post

Because Apple fraks up my formating every time I try to open a Word document in there. It's horrible. Never mind that the file system on the iPad makes running a business with it on the fly almost impossible.

What he said:

what about

open office <-- Not Apple

google docs <--Not Apple

iwork

bunch of other cloud based products <--Not Apple

So, the question is, why are you trolling against Apple in your response?
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

What he said:

what about

open office <-- Not Apple

google docs <--Not Apple

iwork

bunch of other cloud based products <--Not Apple

So, the question is, why are you trolling against Apple in your response?

Trolling? It's the problem I'm having right now trying to fix it. Relax kid.

I've used Google Docs, but that's not a workable solution and has the same issues. Never tried open office. Though when all your solutions involve "not Apple" don't you think you are the one that's anti-Apple?
  • Reply 12 of 16
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    No surprise.

MS can't even get a mobile version of Windows right yet.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    solareinsolarein Posts: 143member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

It is Microsoft's loss

I hope not, we don't need more proprietary formats becoming popular. MS is at least working on open formats for Office documents, but in their backhanded and reluctant way as usual. We need better adoption of open standards so the same documents can be used in your preferred Office suite without worrying about formatting and things messing up.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    gohackgohack Posts: 2member
    Quote:

MS was late to the internet, and it appears that they will be late to the iPAD as well.

With 1 million units already sold in the US, and figure at least that same amount to the rest of the world, here in May, then the surges in between with school and Christmas, Apple's goal of 10 million units could maybe be reached, which are a lot of potential sales for a MS Office package.

My guess is, they are looking into it.

• Reply 15 of 16
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    Also take a look at Quickoffice. They specialize in mobile office and they have a version coming out for the iPad. Link
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Kind of crazy, Microsoft could actually make a good chunk of change with offering Office on the iPad, but personally, I don't care. I just wish that Apple's Numbers would export to Excel.