When is Apple Insider going to start to put their foot down?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
There are some users registered here (with multiple accounts) that are purely around to distract from the topic at hand. They are either very anti-Apple or "EXTREMELY" pro-Apple. They are so obviously over-the-top in both directions it's fake. You can spot a fake as they say. It's clearly put on, quite distracting, annoying and "repetitive".

Needless to say one name comes to mind, but I think there's more than simply "him". There are likely others. It's time something was done about this.

Please take the poll.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 92
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Here is my take:

If someone is violating posting guidelines by directly insulting other posters (i.e. calling them "morons" or "assholes" or whatever), report them and they will be dealt with.

If they are expressing an opinion that you don't agree with, deal with it. If it's getting tiring for you, add that person to your ignore list (click poster's handle->view public profile->user lists (found under user's name)->add to ignore list.
  • Reply 2 of 92
    dayrobotdayrobot Posts: 133member
    How about a fourth option?

Not now, not today or even this year, but a YouTube-style "vote the comment down to hide" would probably benefit the discussion. +3, -18...etc, etc..

An IP address could be limited to just one vote per post. Any subsequent votes by the same person will simply reset his old input, and cause the server to recalculate the average...

Of course, i could see some of the trolls sitting there and rebooting their DSL modems till they are a blue in the face, just to sign up again and cast another vote. But the system can be made to flag accounts with constantly changing IP addresses

Now, back to work for me

Dan

P.S. And to add to that, users will be able to set their own "ignore" threshold, whether that will be 5 negative points, or 15. A subscription-based, always updated ignore list would be good too. Or, better yet, make trolls' posts visible to registered users, but not to those who are logged out. Reg'd users can always subscribe to trolls list, but trolls themselves will believe their posts are visible, and will only talk among themselves.

P.P.S I hope i have not gone overboard
  • Reply 3 of 92
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Moderators know who is posting under other names and have their ways of dealing with those who abuse the system.

Having the option for other names comes in handy, because one builds a profile of themselves as they post, they can use the alternate name to post some juicy information.

I do agree a Slashdot vote up or down comment system would help some, but because of the small and dedicated group here, could wind up be used as a weapon of sorts, especially if one states a unfavorable political position. Or shocking, a bunch of trolls mod down good commentators.

The person who seems to get on everyone elses nerves hasn't gotten to me any, I'm busy searching for relevant and factual information and skip over all the meaningless stuff.

The ignore list works alright, but also ignoring the ignored quotes by others would be a nice addition.
  • Reply 4 of 92
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    The trolls are driving me to Ars.

They don't put up with that shit there.

Many of the 'good' users in this community don't post anymore. I posted a thread about VmWare and Win 7 and none the older users in the community who are knowledgeable posted a reply.

Its a shame because I've received some invaluable advice here in the past. More than I've been able to return to others.
  • Reply 5 of 92
    dayrobotdayrobot Posts: 133member
    BacktoMac, I really agree with you on that point.

But, I remember the purge/bust-up that happened sometime in mid to late '05. I used to lurk here on a daily basis but left at that point as the place became somewhat boring. I think a lot of the problems might have roots in what happened then. But it's hard to believe it's really been that long. Time flies...

There was even a "Nazi" troll at that point, but i think he got bored and left. I what i actually wanted to say, was, after that guy stoped posting, I remember seeing a discussion where some members lamented that, and said something along the lines of homegrown trolls were not nearly that interesting. I was stunned, and due to some other circumstances, work being one of them, stopped coming here at all.

I really do miss the old AI... good Outsider discussions, plus Dr Anders' (or who was it?) secret forum (#13)...

The boobies thread there was a real laugh, as some guy got tired of it, and photoshopped one of the nudes to have two sets of breasts plus another set on the knees.

Anyway, i only came here for the community. I don't own a mac, but really enjoy the more educated, eloquent discussions that people here are mostly capable of. That's all

Dan
  • Reply 6 of 92
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Each forum has its own flavour, its own character. AI became my Mac forum of choice because it worked well for me. Reasonably intelligent posters including some people with real knowledge who would take the time to post lengthy explanations of technical matters, and generally speaking a lively and civilised discussion board. For a while now one or perhaps a few posters have taken over the board with deliberately disruptive and pointlessly argumentative posts. Quite what motivates this is unclear, other than the obvious conclusion that the behaviour is pathological.

Mr.H: your reply above is complacent, and if it is representative of the management of this site it is disappointing. I've lost count how many I have put on the ignore list in the last few weeks, but people keep falling for it and responding to their provocation. Not only does this clog up the threads and make them disjointed, but the whole tone has become petty and fractious. Therefore the value of this site is diminishing week by week, and the downward effect becoming cumulative.

I'm going to hang on for a bit, partly because I'm loath to let the negative posters win, partly in the hope that the people with the authority do something to remedy the situation. If things don't improve, well there's a whole world wide web out there, there would be no point hanging round a place that had lost its function.
  • Reply 7 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Mr.H: your reply above is complacent, and if it is representative of the management of this site it is disappointing.

I don't mean to be complacent and I do think it's important not to become overrun by trolls. However, at the same time there are some around here who it seems would not be happy until every single post was ravingly pro-apple and no-one ever said anything negative or disapproving. As a moderator I need to ensure that I'm not banning someone just because they have an opinion at odds with some of the rest of the membership.

I guess the deciding factor should be how articulately the opposing viewpoint is made.

You guys make a list of problematic posters (post it in this thread please, no need to mention iGenius, TEKSTUD, AppleRulez or mrkoolaid) and I will investigate further.
  • Reply 8 of 92
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Here is my take:

If someone is violating posting guidelines by directly insulting other posters (i.e. calling them "morons" or "assholes" or whatever), report them and they will be dealt with.

If they are expressing an opinion that you don't agree with, deal with it. If it's getting tiring for you, add that person to your ignore list (click poster's handle->view public profile->user lists (found under user's name)->add to ignore list.

Yep done that.

The problem is that other members quote the people I've banned.

Also ...

When I joined this site. I thought it was about Apple related topics, and generally pro Apple.

While I don't mind thoughtful criticism, what I'm seeing are obvious Apple haters who post messages simply to fan the flames. It's not just about differences of opinion.

Within about two posts of any article with comments the thread becomes a flame war.
  • Reply 9 of 92
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Each forum has its own flavour, its own character. AI became my Mac forum of choice because it worked well for me. Reasonably intelligent posters including some people with real knowledge who would take the time to post lengthy explanations of technical matters, and generally speaking a lively and civilised discussion board. For a while now one or perhaps a few posters have taken over the board with deliberately disruptive and pointlessly argumentative posts. Quite what motivates this is unclear, other than the obvious conclusion that the behaviour is pathological.

Mr.H: your reply above is complacent, and if it is representative of the management of this site it is disappointing. I've lost count how many I have put on the ignore list in the last few weeks, but people keep falling for it and responding to their provocation. Not only does this clog up the threads and make them disjointed, but the whole tone has become petty and fractious. Therefore the value of this site is diminishing week by week, and the downward effect becoming cumulative.

I'm going to hang on for a bit, partly because I'm loath to let the negative posters win, partly in the hope that the people with the authority do something to remedy the situation. If things don't improve, well there's a whole world wide web out there, there would be no point hanging round a place that had lost its function.

Quoted For Truth
  • Reply 10 of 92
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

The trolls are driving me to Ars.

They don't put up with that shit there.

Many of the 'good' users in this community don't post anymore. I posted a thread about VmWare and Win 7 and none the older users in the community who are knowledgeable posted a reply.

Its a shame because I've received some invaluable advice here in the past. More than I've been able to return to others.

Well your wrong, I'm a older user and I responded to your post.

Going by post count is no measure of the age or experience of the poster, even trolls get high post counts.
  • Reply 11 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Well your wrong, I'm a older user and I responded to your post.

Going by post count is no measure of the age or experience of the poster, even trolls get high post counts.

I'm referring to registered users that have been here longer than a year. Most of these people are real users who are sort of dedicated to this community.

I'm NOT saying that you aren't a real person and I do appreciate your response to my thread. But most of the trolls who have 'poisoned the well', have started here within the last 6 months.
  • Reply 12 of 92
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

I wrote a longish rebuttal to this kind of moderation a while back to mel.

The fact is these kinds of rules can be gamed to death and make a forum a cesspit anyway. The whole driver for these folks is to frustrate normal people who want to discuss and/or exchange opinions and push them over the edge and get banned. Or simply leave for somewhere else.

Worse, as the number of disruption increases I have less and less of a desire not to call these morons an asshole like they deserve. I couldn't care less about being banned since they prove I can just come back as VINEA. Then when someone finally determines I was too lazy to use a VPN I can come back as ViNeA with some random IP. Or perhaps Aeniv. Or Fred. Or whatever.

The fact that they flaunt their bans so openly makes you guys completely toothless. Worse, some of you support those morons and defend them. When called on that they claim "oh, we're just here to kill spam...we're not real moderators so we don't really represent the forum". Mkay.
  • Reply 13 of 92
    And still no list of unruly posters?
  • Reply 14 of 92
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    2 of the 5 people who voted "I don't see an issue" just happened to join the forums on the exact same date!? Sherlock Holmes might say: "how convenient?"
  • Reply 15 of 92
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

And still no list of unruly posters?

You guys haven't done anything about "iGenius, TEKSTUD, AppleRulez or mrkoolaid". Try starting there before we bother helping build some list you're going to dismiss as a non-problem that can easily be solved by using ignore.
  • Reply 16 of 92
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

you guys haven't done anything about "igenius, tekstud, applerulez or mrkoolaid". Try starting there before we bother helping build some list you're going to dismiss as a non-problem that can easily be solved by using ignore.

+1...
  • Reply 17 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

You guys haven't done anything about "iGenius, TEKSTUD, AppleRulez or mrkoolaid". Try starting there before we bother helping build some list you're going to dismiss as a non-problem that can easily be solved by using ignore.

Those people need to go. I'm with you and Ireland on this one.
  • Reply 18 of 92
    You know, asking when we're going to "put our foot down", i.e. get rid of users you don't like, and then being rude to the only moderator who's shown any sign of even being interested, is unlikely to get you very far.

Shall we try again?
  • Reply 19 of 92
    applerulezapplerulez Posts: 108member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

2 of the 5 people who voted "I don't see an issue" just happened to join the forums on the exact same date!? Sherlock Holmes might say: "how convenient?"

You voted three times. How convenient.
  • Reply 20 of 92
    Quote:

You know, asking when we're going to "put our foot down", i.e. get rid of users you don't like, and then being rude to the only moderator who's shown any sign of even being interested, is unlikely to get you very far.

Shall we try again?

Sorry it came off that way but I don't think anyone here is being rude. Are we being critical? Yes. But frankly you're going to need thicker skin to be a mod if this level of criticism is bothering you.

I offer this suggestions to make AI better. Trolls who 'poison the well' are diminishing the value of this site. I appreciate that being a mod is a thankless job and this problem has really only become an issue here over the last 6 months. But I think its time that you and the other mods had a talk about how to weed out trolls. They are an issue now and they may drive your loyal users to other sites. That's what it's doing to me.