Apple iPad and Reading PDF eBooks?

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
The iBooks application looks great, but I can't see anywhere whether or not it reads PDFs in the same way as it does ePub-formatted eBooks.

Is this information available yet?

I would be surprised, and disappointed, if it was exclusively ePub-only.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post

The iBooks application looks great, but I can't see anywhere whether or not it reads PDFs in the same way as it does ePub-formatted eBooks.

The books app will probably only use ePub.

But there are a bunch of apps which allow you to read PDFs.

It's not like the Kindle.

C.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    It appears the iBooks app is US-only, too. Hmmm, FAIL.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Every ebook format out there can be read on the iPhone in one app or another... Shouldn't be a feat of engineering to re-work those apps to support a larger screen. I'd bet the more popular ones are ready to go by the time the iPad (why does saying that give me that not-so-fresh feeling?) is available.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Quote:

pay $15 for it and apple will let you read whatever you like on it.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Quote:

It appears the iBooks app is US-only, too. Hmmm, FAIL.

Music, TV shows, movies all started as US only as Apple had to negotiate with rights-holders in each country individually. Some countries took much longer than others, so I would be surprised if books didn't follow suit. As mentioned, PDF, ePub, and possibly other formats will probably be available through other avenues, probably as soon as the iPads go on sale.

And who knows, the iBooks app may have the rights in (some) other countries by then as well.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Converting to ePub. Some PDF may be an issue...like those with vector images.

http://www.lexcycle.com/faq/how_to_create_epub

Calibre and Stanza Desktop are two free choices.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Just read on gizmodo that it will read epub, pdf, html & doc. Which is the first time I've come across any reference that it will read anything other than epub.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Hi, registered just to reply to this thread.

Even if the iPad doesnt rock PDFs or other ebook formats there are a couple of online converters that can change PDF to epub.

So it will all be okay!
  • Reply 9 of 22
    woohoo!woohoo! Posts: 291member
    Stick to a real computer, e-books are here for the Mac with Kindle for the Mac, CourseSmart for textbooks and more will be coming, computers are a larger market than e-book readers anyway, which the iPad is sort of.

The iPad depends upon a computer, so your just duplicating functionality one already has.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

The iPad depends upon a computer, so your just duplicating functionality one already has.

Yeah... i just love carrying an iMac around with me to read from... (no, a MacBook is not much better for casual reading.)

If you don't like the iPad, don't buy one... for some of us, it's going to be a nice device.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

Stick to a real computer, e-books are here for the Mac with Kindle for the Mac, CourseSmart for textbooks and more will be coming, computers are a larger market than e-book readers anyway, which the iPad is sort of.

Thank you so much for that CourseSmart name drop. I had no idea they existed. That's what I was waiting for before getting an iPad.

I'm a med student. I read a LOT. I love ebooks, but reading on a laptop form factor isn't good for a number of reasons (screen not the shape of a book page, posture, HEAT, etc). Most of the books I'll need for my final 2 years are available on CourseSmart, and with the ability to highlight, take notes, copy, print...SIGN ME UP.

I'm geeking out a bit. Awesome.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    isomorphicisomorphic Posts: 199member
    In the Mail iPad Guided Tour video:

http://www.apple.com/ipad/guided-tours/#mail

...it shows the (well-manicured) user opening a PDF attachment (a chart) in the mail app.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    [QUOTE=Isomorphic;1604255]In the Mail iPad Guided Tour video:

http://www.apple.com/ipad/guided-tours/#mail

okay, and what about the 50mb or even bigger magazines converted to pdf?

I can not send such big files to email addresses...
  • Reply 14 of 22
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    [QUOTE=davidberes;1605966]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Isomorphic View Post

I can not send such big files to email addresses...[/B][/B][/B]

So you think that the only way to get a file onto the iPad is to email it to yourself? Um-m-m-m.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidberes View Post

I can not send such big files to email addresses...

My point was that PDF support seems to be baked into the OS. I'm sure you will eventually get a standalone PDF-reader app, if there isn't one out already. I don't know because I'm waiting on the 3G model.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ipadfans View Post

OK, I think you need a PDF to iPad ePub Converter.

iPad Converter PDF to ePub step by step:

Works perfect!

Ewww.

That user interface does not exactly inspire confidence!

How does one pronounce "Lanuage" ? Lan-oo-argay?

C.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    [QUOTE=Mr. Me;1606589]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidberes View Post

So you think that the only way to get a file onto the iPad is to email it to yourself? Um-m-m-m.

Pdf is now included in ibook. The only problem is telling ibook where to find your pdf book! Im writing mine in pages. The only way to open it in ibook is to share the document by email, choose pdf format and then send it (doenst matter where - you will see it in your sent messages). Open the message, click the attachment and tell your ipad to open it using ibook.

Its the same with print central (if you ever want to print a document from your ipad). You have to use mail as a file manager!

All apple needs to do is add open with to pages and we will all be able to get on with useful stuff. In the meantime - its the mail-cheat for us all.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Davehindle View Post

Pdf is now included in ibook. The only problem is telling ibook where to find your pdf book! Im writing mine in pages. The only way to open it in ibook is to share the document by email, choose pdf format and then send it (doenst matter where - you will see it in your sent messages). Open the message, click the attachment and tell your ipad to open it using ibook.

Its the same with print central (if you ever want to print a document from your ipad). You have to use mail as a file manager!

All apple needs to do is add open with to pages and we will all be able to get on with useful stuff. In the meantime - its the mail-cheat for us all.

All you need to do is add the PDF to iTunes and sync. Works a charm...

Something like this link... But just remember, slightly different, it is not a Book as such... I don't think you need to change the type to "Book" explicitly it willl show up as a "Book" to sync when you connect your iPad to sync in the iPad "tabs" choosing what to sync ... http://www.simplehelp.net/2010/06/22...uch-or-iphone/
  • Reply 19 of 22
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member
    Yeah, the iBooks 1.1 update added PDF support, complete with a PDF bookshelf. I have tons of books and other materials in PDF format, and was previously limited to using a third-party PDF app to read them on the iPad. Good to have a first-party solution that is more convenient.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vandil View Post

Yeah, the iBooks 1.1 update added PDF support, complete with a PDF bookshelf. I have tons of books and other materials in PDF format, and was previously limited to using a third-party PDF app to read them on the iPad. Good to have a first-party solution that is more convenient.

Although iBook added PDF support, I prefer epub to PDF as well.