ABC, Netflix streaming iPad software available in App Store

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by STecchino View Post

I'm just sitting here, rolling my eyes at the people complaining about the shortcomings of having to go to an ABC streaming app here for free iPad content, NBC.com for free content there...who could possibly keep track of it all? You didn't even know you had these until today, you still don't actually have your iPad yet, and you're already resigned to accepting this "compromise."

"Everything's amazing and nobody's happy."

I agree. I have never seen so many ungrateful spoiled people in my life. If someone told me I could see free streaming movies for my netflix account while sitting on my back patio, I would say thank you Jesus. Or to watch ABC shows for as little as as downloading an app, I would think I must be dreaming.

Are we that spoiled that we ignore the work the people have gone through in making so many wonderful things cone to us on the iPad at no additional cost to us. Maybe I'm a bit angry, but its time people stop finding ways to complain and start appreciating what a wonderful change we have in this new development. Stop whining. Stop complaining. Start to learn to appreciate life.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

So now we are supposed to install an app for each TV network. I wish they would have worked out some sort of deal with iTunes so I can have them all in one place. Maybe work in ads in there somehow, kind of like Tekzilla and other Rev3 shows do. I thought Hulu would become a one stop solution, but I guess comedy central pulled out and now everyone wants their own apps.

It's gonna get confusing cause I would have to know what network each show airs on, something I don't always know, epeically for newer shows I got into on Hulu.

Well, here, perhaps I can explain helpfully. The networks are completely separate business entities. They are in competition with each other. They want you to watch their programs, not someone else's. That's why, oh, THE PLANET might totally get it when they hear each network is going to be making its own app.

Have you ever seen the film Idiocracy? I didn't think so. What you just said above is something that until this point, could only come out of Frito's mouth as he stares at the TV gobbling paste from a bucket. You are brain-dead.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

This is great news. Can't wait to get my hands on one and try it out. Waiting to see what the trolls will complain about now, they are meeting now to come up with a complain strategy.

Well, there is always the lack of third party multitasking--oh wait!

Glossy screen? AT&T? Don't worry, a good troll will find something to harp on!
  • Reply 24 of 39
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Netflix maybe good for iPad adoption but seems to fly in the face of iTunes expansion. It will be interesting to watch how this plays out.

It's "game on" now for all tablet computing. It had to be done. This and more of it, will dampen the NO FLAsh peeps. A good move and streaming is better anyway. You only have to sit through five :15 to :30 sec spots. Of course adding a program player as an app that played flash to xvid or converts, could one day be possible.

In addtion to ncis and some of the csi programs, abcs lost followed by the V's is pretty good programming.

Playing aside, my Father/Dad is in the hospital with a infected pace maker and is scheduled for surgery today. The last time he went under, they had to jump start his heart so he prefers local anistetic so PRAYER'S GREATLY APPRCIATED. I just got married a few years ago and want to have my own family and have them have a grandfather, my Wifes father passed away in a work related accident. And I have low bone density and testosterone along with back pain and want and am having FAITH it goes perfect but also that I can get my back fixed with a chiroprator and get off the medications.

Thanks for the prayers and support.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That's why it's can't be the only solution and why iTunes Store (and illegal downloads) will have their place.

What would be interesting is to see a site like Hulu offer a paid service with DRM content that is cached within the app allowing you to play offline for a short time. Even a handful of hours would be sweet right now.

I think that is a good thing now, but I find it interesting that two posters have already suggested that it be added to iTunes app. It seems to me there is already a lot of bellyaching over the bloat in both the iTunes desktop app and the iTunes Store (the latter I agree with) but we want all sites that stream video to instead add to iTunes instead of making an app? I don't get it.

How would this work? Would Apple then have to regulate them like it does for its App Store? Could they still charge you and alter rates as they see fit? How would Apple, their network partners, and customers feel about having free and paid TV shows and movies next to each other?

i don't think any do, but I think most stick with only a few. Hulu was great because it did consolidate sites. That seems to be changing slowly as networks realize they can make more money with their own sites. Maybe someone can make a unified app that all networks and services agree with and will allow you to signup to each one through the one app with them still getting the revenue and saving on maintaining their own apps. I doubt Apple could swing that deal.

I'd just love them to work on the AppleTV, though this would be best solved, IMO, with a new AppleTV with an A4 based on iPhone OS sans Cocoa Touch and an SDK that allowed Netflix et al. to port their apps to.

some random 7 am thoughts

Hulu cross links with many major TV sites already like the Syfy channel .

And Net Flix has inside its media player a miniworld of goodies like MLB .

and Amazon rentals and downloads .. plus a million crappy starz movies . and many cool TV shows

ITunes is nice for the fact that its hd gives 2 copies of each show for small p[layer and large tv .

yet 3 weeks later i can get the same show for free. the video/audio podcasts are great .

I use itune's to rent great movies cheap ..

outside the usa itunes is the only game in town

peace

APPLE TV has a steep mountain to climb to top what already out their .
  • Reply 26 of 39
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    I may just have to look into this device since I already have Netflix.

If you get the 3G version you could use it on a train.

Some aircraft have WiFi - not sure how wel 3G would work at 30,000 feet - there have been rumors of cell phone use being allowed on aircraft - maybe a critical mass of iPads would get enough people interested to get the FAA to take a serious look at whether there is any risk whatsoever to allowing cell phone use is flight.

Or perhaps Netflix and other services will figure out a way to cache the content.

For TV shows - maybe someone will come up with a TV Guide App that will help you manage all the channels.

If only the iPad had an option for hi-rez output to a TV - HDMI for example - then at my parents house for example - I could hook it up to their TV to do Netflix easily on their WiFi - then they could use it on the road when needed - might even be a reason to have more than one - but then for $499 I could just drop a Mac Mini in - except for the fact that operating the computer would be far more complex than operating an iPad.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

It's "game on" now for all tablet computing. It had to be done. This and more of it, will dampen the NO FLAsh peeps. A good move and streaming is better anyway. You only have to sit through five :15 to :30 sec spots. Of course adding a program player as an app that played flash to xvid or converts, could one day be possible.

In addtion to ncis and some of the csi programs, abcs lost followed by the V's is pretty good programming.

Playing aside, my Father/Dad is in the hospital with a infected pace maker and is scheduled for surgery today. The last time he went under, they had to jump start his heart so he prefers local anistetic so PRAYER'S GREATLY APPRCIATED. I just got married a few years ago and want to have my own family and have them have a grandfather, my Wifes father passed away in a work related accident. And I have low bone density and testosterone along with back pain and want and am having FAITH it goes perfect but also that I can get my back fixed with a chiroprator and get off the medications.

You got it. Your father, family and you have been included in the prayers!
  • Reply 28 of 39
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

If only the iPad had an option for hi-rez output to a TV - HDMI for example - then at my parents house for example - I could hook it up to their TV to do Netflix easily on their WiFi - then they could use it on the road when needed - might even be a reason to have more than one - but then for $499 I could just drop a Mac Mini in - except for the fact that operating the computer would be far more complex than operating an iPad.

For that an AppleTV is probably your best bet, preferably an updated AppleTV with access to the ipad app store aps. My 81 yr/old father in law who refuses to learn computers took pretty quickly to the Apple TV this past Xmas. Actually considering an ipad for him so he won't have to overcome the Mouse to Screen gap.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    andyappleandyapple Posts: 152member
    The ABC app requires Wi-Fi, as mentioned by AI and under the description in the store. How about Netflix, will that be available for streaming over 3G? Doesn't mention any restriction to Wi-Fi in the App Store description, but neither does it specifically state that it will work over AT&T. Anybody have any further info? Thanks.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andyapple View Post

The ABC app requires Wi-Fi, as mentioned by AI and under the description in the store. How about Netflix, will that be available for streaming over 3G? Doesn't mention any restriction to Wi-Fi in the App Store description, but neither does it specifically state that it will work over AT&T. Anybody have any further info? Thanks.

Can't speak to the iPad - but I use NetFlix over my AT&T 3G card in my notebook whenever I travel.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Each family member will have his own personal virtual TV (DVD/CD player, NetFlix, AppleTV, Cable Box TiVo, Movie Theater ,Wii...)

Not only will it be personal, but it will be personalized!

Billy is watching Sponge Bob in the family room, Suzy is in her room watching a Miley Cyrus Vid (and doing her homework); Tommy is on the back porch playing a video game between bits of piano practice; Dad is out in the shop watching Norm Abrams and reading plans for those bunk beds (while listening to the ball game); Mom is in the kitchen watching Rachel Ray and reading recipes, and that new James Patterson novel; grandpa is in the den watching Maria Bartiromo (or Glenn Beck) while reading the WSJ.

Or, they could all be in the same room!

All doin' their own thing, at the same time, time shifted... regardless of when the content was created or broadcast.

Oops, its family time. Mom IMs the others, and they gather 'round the big screen for a communal game of scrabble, or monopoly, or bowling... or they just select their instruments and have a Jam Session.

Later, they each go back to what they were doin' (not necessarily where), right where they left off... as if nothing ever interrupted them.

Or they can start a different activitry, knowing that they can come back to where they were at any time.

Think of it! They could all be watching the same movie or reading the same book at the same time, (in different languages and subtitles). Each could be at a different pace and place in time and space.

Who's gonna' pay for all that?

... I'll tell ya' who, the content providers, the advertisers... and to some extent the consumers.

And, that's just for starters!

• Reply 32 of 39
    veblenveblen Posts: 201member
    I'm wondering what bells and whistles these streaming applications will have when hooked up to an external monitor/projector through an adapter. Andy Ihnatko the Sun Times Tech columnist who had an ipad for a few days stated that the ipad doesn't mirror it's display to the monitor/projector. The application has to be aware and handle the monitor/projector. If the netflix app supports a monitor/projector I wonder what interface and content will be on the ipad itself.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:

I'm a grandpa! Yours has my prayers and support.

• Reply 34 of 39
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:

I'm sure he'll pull through just fine. Best wishes.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Surprised everybody focuses on streaming. See many more people using iPhone/touch on planes and trains where streaming wouldn't work.

Also sad it isn't managed through iTunes, but I imagine that will get better over time. Can't imagine what kind of user wants to have 20 different applications for content based on the media provider.

Wonder if Apple and Netflix would work together on iTunes integration, or if licensing terms preclude download-and-play.

I think the next Rev. will be a bit better so I might sit this one out. What Apple is going to get surprised about is I know a lot of mbp owners who are thinking of selling it, getting an iMac and ipad so I wonder how that will work out? Gotta get those four core or even eight onto them. That should stop some of the bleeding.

With regard to Abc and netflix, that seems preety cool but I thought I read netflix doesn't get the streaming until two months out on DVD? The other interesting thing will be to see what the hackers do and if someone develops a player that plays codecs such as xvid. Then the torrent programs and all that vies with it. You know it's going to happen, especially since the jb iPhones have flash players. Might also give other designers ideas but I forsee a jb ipad being preety slick if it offers a lot that rev 2 does not address. Flash excluded.

I also think the courier will do really well if it's a msft ONLY product and not sent out via oems, especially with education and enterprise.

Who knows how this will all work out as there are quite a lot of people that prefer the stylus.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Great news indeed!!

They're running out of talking points real fast. Being confined to Apple's iTunes for media content has been yanked from their playing deck. Time to reshuffle the deck.

Indeed. This time around the networks are calling the shots. This way they can offer it free while controlling all the advertising. The iTunes model was too small for the networks and they didn't want to fall apart like the music buisiness did.

I think this is very good for us, the consumers. If we don't want commercial, iTunes is still there to sell it to you.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estyle View Post

Thanks. After nearly Zero meals in three days. He didn't eat at all today was told 12:00 eastern they would do it so he stopped eating the 2nd time at midnight. Brought him down at 3PM. Didn't get to him until 7PM. He came out at 6:30 or so Pacific time. Thats all I cared about. Not the food of course. Me. Talking to a few music supervisors and might join forces. Everyones telling me, put us together and we have something going on big time. Then to chiropractor and get off pain meds. Raise bone density and testosterone then start a family so my dad can take our yet to be born kids deep sea fishing with a few ipads running off of satilites. No more weak. Wimpy cell towers. Lol.

Was really worryied. ThNks fir the prayers and support in all things. Wife also has just one ovary so say a prayer it's a nesting ground for children. No endometritis. Thank you, thank you thank you. Went to bed at 4 AM. Up at 7 AM on phone all day. Kept being told he could go down (our Father/Dad) at any time for the operation. Will know more tomorrow.

Go God, Go Dad, Go Iur lives starting/Family. Go Apple and Go Anwsered Prayers!!!

Thank You ALL!!!!
  • Reply 38 of 39
    Quote:

My Father, wife, mom, brother and sisters, all thank you.

May it be returned to you and your loved ones, anwsered prayers.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    Quote:

Thank you All who have kept Him in Your prayer but The Prayer are still needed.

The are not giving him any pain medication until He is more lucid and He doesn't even know He had the operation plus they have to put an I.V. On His right side as His left side insides, are infected but they can't find a place to do it. I am 3200 miles away. All of my family is and I did not get one call today and found out when I called one if my Sisters. Not sure why I am not getting calls. Worry? Afraid I'll jump on a plane?

Not sure. Just keep Him in Your Prayers.

THANK YOU ALL!!!