Exclusive: Apple to hold 7AM training, all staffers may get iPads

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

Actually, yes: If they weren't sure they could get the cameras they needed/wanted in time for mass production.

From a marketing POV: Uh, Apple wasn't going to hurt for publicity one way or the other - or didn't you notice? Adding the camera at the last hour before the things ship will only add a fresh wave of buzz.

There's absolutely no downside to giving journalists a device this new without a feature or two. None, zip, zero. Not for this product, which launches a sort-of new category, and especially not for Apple.

This is not some simulation or business class we're talking about. Corporations don't make changes at the 11th hour because it's cool want to get extra buzz. Doing so, simply makes them look like amateurs who cater to the whim of nerds who cry over missing features.

Apple has it's reasons for excluding it at this point. But they only look indecisive and incompetent if they flip flop on this. That's not to say future iPads won't have a camera. In fact, they more than likely will. Plus, it's not like this iPad hasn't received it's share of publicity already.
  • Reply 22 of 46
    i dunno about the camera but i was leaning more towards multi-tasking in the OS?
  • Reply 23 of 46
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Can't wait till that UPS truck pulls up tomorrow. This thread has to be one of the funniest of all time. One more thing.....hahahahaha. Uhhhhhh. No.
  • Reply 24 of 46
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Did I miss something? What in this story implies a previously unadvertised feature?
  • Reply 25 of 46
    A camera doesn't seem like something Apple would disclose at the last moment.

Surely a feature like that would be a significant decision maker for those who considered the 3G model at one point, but decided to only get the WiFi version.

By the way, first post here at AI, although I've been following for years
  • Reply 26 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

I would imagine that for the iPad to have a camera, it would have to be included in the iPad Manual that Apple is required by law to submit to the FCC.

As we see, it was not in today's last piece, i.e., the "User Manual final"* or anything other document submitted to the FCC.?

*https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/oet/f...ive_or_pdf=pdf

?https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/...7BCG-E2381A%27

First sober post in this thread (incl. the article).
  • Reply 27 of 46
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Did I miss something? What in this story implies a previously unadvertised feature?

Simple... AI readers simply aren't happy unless 11th hour news over inflates their hopes only to get tragically slapped back into reality in the final moments of the release/unboxing/keynote/etc day. I remember being sucked in consistently over the years... but just like the saying goes, 4312 times bitten twice shy...
  • Reply 28 of 46
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Simple... AI readers simply aren't happy unless 11th hour news over inflates their hopes only to get tragically slapped back into reality in the final moments of the release/unboxing/keynote/etc day. I remember being sucked in consistently over the years... but just like the saying goes, 4312 times bitten twice shy...

Can't argue with that logic except in this case it's not news. It isn't even a rumor. It's just a fabrication of over-active imaginations.
  • Reply 29 of 46
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    software maybe, hardware, unlikely. one more thing is Steve-o's fun.

though all units with 64gb/3G would be hilarious. $499
  • Reply 30 of 46
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaronsullivan View Post

@isaidso

The rest of us just like to call that system "hands". You see yourself in a little box in the corner and make sure your face is in it, then you don't move it too much. If it drifts you adjust an inch or so. It's quite magical.

Guaranteed to drive you nuts.

I gather you don't do much video conferencing, because if you did, the camera is made stationary and as any good director will tell you, "look directly into the camera."

The problem with computer video cams is that they tend to force you to look either at the image of the person to whom you are speaking or yourself. May not seem like much, but it looks as if you are talking to someone else. And that can get quite annoying, and worse if the camera is bobbling all over the place.
  • Reply 31 of 46
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Can't argue with that logic except in this case it's not news. It isn't even a rumor. It's just a fabrication of over-active imaginations.

News? Rumors?? Why muddy the waters with those silly and clearly unnecessary notions... This is the internet after all, if you want to inject some random afterthought as quasi-sensational rumor you just DO IT man!

As you can see it works quite brilliantly...
  • Reply 32 of 46
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    All this excess secrecy is just silly. Two hours to train their staff on the product? No wonder the Apple employees are so often completely clueless...their company doesn't give them time for proper training. Is all that matter is getting the product out the door as fast as possible?
  • Reply 33 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

All this excess secrecy is just silly. Two hours to train their staff on the product? No wonder the Apple employees are so often completely clueless...their company doesn't give them time for proper training. Is all that matter is getting the product out the door as fast as possible?

I wonder if Apple hired the security guards that also work for the De Beers diamond company again, as they did for the first iPhone shipments?

Marcus
  • Reply 34 of 46
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I just don't get the people still expecting a camera. Wishing one had been included is another thing, but holding out that it will still arrive when you wake up tomorrow makes no sense to me.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Secrecy has nothing to do with it. Managing an orderly product introduction is everything. It's going to be a one-of-a-kind busy day and the store folk need to be prepped for handling the eager throngs and sending them away happy..

What experiences have you had to state that Apple employees are clueless? Among store experiences, I'd say they're exceptionally competent and helpful, and I've never left their store without all my questions being fully answered and issues fully resolved. Independent consumer surveys back that up. Perhaps you're confusing Apple people with your visits to Best Buy and RadioShack.

Using an iPad isn't meant to be complicated. If it's going to take more than five minutes for a user to learn how to use an iPad or an employee to learn how to explain it, Apple will have failed in its design goals. Read Andy Ihnatko's comment in that regard in this week's Chicago Sun-Times review: "The most compelling sign that Apple got this right is the fact that despite the novelty of the iPad, the excitement slips away after about ten seconds and you?re completely focused on the task at hand ... whether it?s reading a book, writing a report, or working on clearing your Inbox."

Finally, the employees are going to make sure to help buyers download every app or function that they want or need before they leave the store. The list can include connecting through WiFi or downloading Pages, Numbers and Keynote as well as iBooks, MobileMe and even Kindle if they want. They need a short meeting to review those selling and fulfillment procedures.

So now, perhaps, you're the one who is just a little less clueless?
  • Reply 36 of 46
    undo redoundo redo Posts: 164member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Secrecy has nothing to do with it.

Using an iPad isn't meant to be complicated. If it's going to take more than five minutes for a user to learn how to use an iPad or an employee to learn how to explain it, Apple will have failed in its design goals.

I agree with lamewing that all the secrecy up to the last minute is stupid. Training employees on an unseen product during the two hours before opening the store on intro day is ridiculous.

And you overestimate the average non-tech person's ability to learn how to use a new device in five minutes. I don't care if it's an iPad or a toaster. Some people just don't get it very quickly.
  • Reply 37 of 46
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Could just one person explain to me how one is supposed to use a conference camera that is built into a device that is a free floating; always constantly moving (to some degree); handheld-hand controlled device?

Please? Anybody?

Is this camera supposed to be mounted in some fluid filled - auto aligning - face tracking - auto focusing - multi gimbaled housing??

I mean; it could happen. But for all the talk about it over these many months, I've not heard one person describe how it would be practically used. I mean how it would function and actually be usable in a tablet.

I completely agree. That's what I was thinking as well - how practical is such a camera in reality. I am not keen on watching someone constantly adjusting his iPad.
  • Reply 38 of 46
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

I completely agree. That's what I was thinking as well - how practical is such a camera in reality. I am not keen on watching someone constantly adjusting his iPad.

On top of that, people will want the camera for shooting images and video, which is only slightly more practical if on the backside.

I assume that some of the mockups we've seen of early prototypes are real and the camera was included at some point, along with other screen dimensions to see how these might work but excluded because tech to make them viable just doesn't exist yet.

I'm always baffled by anyone who thinks a company should add a feature simply because it's technically possible and double baffled when think that company should be Apple.
  • Reply 39 of 46
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

A lot of modern cell phones with video conferencing use software-based image stabilization. They track objects, especially faces, and show a stationary image.
  • Reply 40 of 46
    gotapplegotapple Posts: 115member
    All McDonalds workers are given hamburgers.