Amazon Kindle iPad app approved, Netflix working on iPhone app

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's mobile devices are cross-pollinating: Amazon's Kindle ebook reader was just approved for iPad, while Netflix' iPad app for viewing Instant Streaming videos is being ported to the iPhone and iPod touch.

The existing, free Kindle app in the App Store is now universal, meaning that it can be downloaded and used on either the handheld iPhone or iPod touch, or the larger form factor iPad, where it has been optimized to present the company's library of 450,000 ebook titles.

Amazon's new iPad version of the app (below) competes with Apple's own new iBooks app for iPad, which is not yet available for the company's small screen devices.

Apple's iBooks app is not bundled on the iPad, leveling the playing field for third party competitors in a novel way. The company has been criticized for implying to developers that they should not bother to submit apps that replace the functionality of core bundled apps, an issue at the heart of the Google Voice controversy.

Ten days ago, Opera tested the limits of Apple's approval policies when it submitted an iPhone version of its Opera Mini browser, which technically replaces Mobile Safari for web browsing, but does so using a quick and novel but SSL security impaired proxy mechanism. The app has not yet been approved or rejected.

Separately, Netflix has noted on its blog that interest in its new iPad app for watching Instant Streaming videos was also piquing the curiosity of subscribers about a small screen version.

"For those of you asking whether Netflix will be on the iPhone and iPod Touch: We wouldn't invite you to dinner without planning to serve dessert. In other words, we're working on it so stay tuned," wrote Steve Swasey, VP of Corporate Communications.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Might wanna put the right screen shot in for the netflix app... It seems you've got the ABC app up in its place.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    I have a wait-and-see attitude about new products and their potential impact. But I would say, if it is true that a Kindle app and a Netflix app will be available on the iPad, that impresses me a great deal.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:

Amazon's Kindle ebook reader was just approved for iPad, while Netflix' iPad app for viewing Instant Streaming videos is being ported to the iPhone and iPod touch.

Amazon's Kindle program is also available on the Mac, unlike the iBookStore content.

Netflix also is available to stream to a Mac, requires installing Silverlight.

Thing about Netflix is there is a lot of content able to be streamed, but some stuff is only available via DVD's in the snails mail.

Real cross pollination will occur when Apple allows App Store apps to run in Dashboard with a slight UI change to accommodate the cursor OS.

And the next issue of MacBook Pro's should have optional GPS.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Might wanna put the right screen shot in for the netflix app... It seems you've got the ABC app up in its place.

If you're going to quote Prince in your signature at least give the man credit with a "- Prince" or similar.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BertP View Post

I have a wait-and-see attitude about new products and their potential impact. But I would say, if it is true that a Kindle app and a Netflix app will be available on the iPad, that impresses me a great deal.

Why would you say "if it is true" when they are already in the iTunes iPad app store? You can buy 'em now.

Hope this shuts up those who were quick to complain and question why there was/is no Netflix app for the iPhone. Geezz - folks sure are quick to complain about something at launch without waiting to see how it pans out and is even released. Also, shuts up those complaining about iBooks pricing and Apple forcing their products and pricing down consumers throats. Again - "Geeezzzz!!!!!"
  • Reply 5 of 25
    So Apple allows Amazon Kindle books on the iPad. Does this mean Amazon will let Apple iBooks on the Kindle? No, I don't think it does. Will anyone give Amazon crap for this? No. Why not? Because you only get crap for "locking people into your eco-system" when you make desirable hardware.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    kingkueikingkuei Posts: 137member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by franktinsley View Post

So Apple allows Amazon Kindle books on the iPad. Does this mean Amazon will let Apple iBooks on the Kindle? No, I don't think it does. Will anyone give Amazon crap for this? No. Why not? Because you only get crap for "locking people into your eco-system" when you make desirable hardware.

I believe the lack of iBooks compatibility on the Kindle has more to do with FairPlay DRM than Amazon's refusal to add support to the Kindle. I can't recall Apple licensing FairPlay to anyone, ever.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Look like it's time to search for "How to convert Kindle format to ePub without....."
  • Reply 8 of 25
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Personally, I'm more excited about the Kindle app than I am the Netflix one.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    Will GM allow Toyota to sell cars on GM showroom? I don't think so. Why does Apple allow Amazon to sell books on iPad and iPhone? I guess it goes to show that Apple is not in the book business.

If I buy books from Kindle Store, do I read it on my Kindle or my iPad? Very strange indeed.

Amazon and Apple; very strange bedfellows!

Way to go Steve and co.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Look like it's time to search for "How to convert Kindle format to ePub without....."

Ask and you shall recieve, though I have no idea if Adobe has altered the DRM since last November...
    Also, those that want to get their learnin' on can read up on the different eBook formats. EPUB was clearly the only available option worth considering and it's a foregone conclusion a richer eBook format will emerge but I still wish Apple could have figured out a proper multimedia option for textbooks, magazines, comic books and others from the get-go, instead of having each company make individual apps.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Ask and you shall recieve, though I have no idea if Adobe has altered the DRM since last November...
    Also, those that want to get their learnin' on can read up on the different eBook formats. EPUB was clearly the only available option worth considering and it's a foregone conclusion a richer eBook format will emerge but I still wish Apple could have figured out a proper multimedia option for textbooks, magazines, comic books and others from the get-go, instead of having each company make individual apps.

Thanks for the link, Sol... Can I call you Sol?

I had no idea that there were so many formats.

Especially interesting were the comments under the EPub format about Adobe's DRM algorithm called ADEPT... and the reverse engineered version, called INEPT

I am hoping that Apple will do something for books that allow annotations similar to Preview on the Mac. I think this could be done with metadata to avoid DRM. modifing the original, etc. A similar approach could be used to add multimedia to books.

The ability to overlay, or insert annotation, multimedia, in a "presentation layer" may be the solution. Recent changes to the SDK have made this more practical.

If you look at Pages on the Mac (and hopefully on the iPad) it contains much of what you are asking for.

• Reply 12 of 25
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    I'm stoked, lots of great moves by Apple for this launch. Cant wait til 9 am
  • Reply 13 of 25
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by franktinsley View Post

Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft Gaming all have desirable hardware but lock you in. The thing is though, those are even more focused designs, they aren't marketed as or used as personal computers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingKuei View Post

I believe the lack of iBooks compatibility on the Kindle has more to do with FairPlay DRM than Amazon's refusal to add support to the Kindle. I can't recall Apple licensing FairPlay to anyone, ever.

Yeah, Apple has always refused to license FairPlay. You're not going to be playing FairPlay videos on the Roku, not necessarily because of Roku, but because of Apple. Apple's business model is still the hardware, the media is a secondary game. Amazon's model is selling media, their Kindle hardware was a vehicle to carry that business model.

I don't know if Kindle has any kind of general purpose use paradigm. It's even more of an appliance than the iPad is in my opinion. iPad's use case is very close to that of a computer, Kindle is very focused as a book reader. It does other things, but

Outside of the Windows OS, I don't think Apple has supported a non-Apple platform.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

If you're going to quote Prince in your signature at least give the man credit with a "- Prince" or similar.

Sure ... right away! Is it better now?
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Thank you for the link. Sound like it'll be as easy as converting video format. This site has given me some good links. First how to create an US iTune accont and now this.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

Will GM allow Toyota to sell cars on GM showroom? I don't think so. Why does Apple allow Amazon to sell books on iPad and iPhone? I guess it goes to show that Apple is not in the book business.

If I buy books from Kindle Store, do I read it on my Kindle or my iPad? Very strange indeed.

Amazon and Apple; very strange bedfellows!

Way to go Steve and co.

I think it's a smart move. Kindle users now can buy iPad with confidence and can test iBookstore which is open format themselves. Unfortunately, Kindle still beat Apple on one thing. Look like it can take notes.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:

I think it's a smart move. Kindle users now can buy iPad with confidence and can test iBookstore which is open format themselves. Unfortunately, Kindle still beat Apple on one thing. Look like it can take notes.

Something that will likely be remedied in an update*.

*I can not and will not speculate as to the day, week, month, year, decade, century nor millennium when this software update may or may-not take place. For advice please speak to the iPhone users who are still waiting for AT&Ts activation of tethering aka 'available soon'.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Sure ... right away! Is it better now?

Yes, I approve that signature and now Prince can't sue you for not giving credit (which he's been known to do)! (hahahaa)
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Quote:

I think it also keeps the critics off Apple's back from complaining about fair competition and monopolies. Similar to when ppl an governments complained about MS only highlighting IE in their OS years ago.

Also, gives people one more reason to buy the iPad, "don't read your Kindle/B&N books on that gray-scale piece of junk, read the same books at the same price on our nice LED full color iPad and get more out of it."
  • Reply 20 of 25
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Why would you say "if it is true" when they are already in the iTunes iPad app store? You can buy 'em now.

Not a big deal. I am a skeptical fellow who had not verified what had been posted by AI.

What I left out in my comment was the iPhone or iPod Touch and Netflix. Some people might like that, but I would pass on that.