Bonds signs in Frisco

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
5 years, $90 million.

im a bit surprised that san fran put that much out, but i suppose that barrys earned it. and its not too extreme that its gonna destroy the payroll. a decent contract, especially considering other crap like pay-rod, etc.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    No matter how great he was last year how could anyone give someone Bonds' age that much money?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>No matter how great he was last year how could anyone give someone Bonds' age that much money?</strong><hr></blockquote>

very true. this contract could lock him up through his mid 40s, but he does keep himself in great shape, and could be productive til the end. oh, and i fergot to mention that the last year of that contract depends on how many at-bats he had in previous seasons. so if he gets hurt or loses productivity, then he would be done after 4 years.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by _ alliance _:

<strong>5 years, $90 million.

im a bit surprised that san fran put that much out, but i suppose that barrys earned it. and its not too extreme that its gonna destroy the payroll. a decent contract, especially considering other crap like pay-rod, etc.</strong><hr></blockquote>

are they now responsible for destroying baseball along with the other half of the teams in the major leagues?

• Reply 4 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>

are they now responsible for destroying baseball along with the other half of the teams in the major leagues?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

no, cause as i already said earlier, the teams' overall payroll will remain reasonable despite this big contract. unlike some teams, the Giants keep their own payroll limit and stick to it. also, he is by the far the highest paid player on the team. the giants only have one player being payed higher than 10 mil/yr, compared to other teams like the yanks, ranger, dodgers, etc..

nice try though, but as always, yer point proves to be baseless...
  • Reply 5 of 6
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by _ alliance _:

<strong>

oh, and i fergot to mention that the last year of that contract depends on how many at-bats he had in previous seasons. so if he gets hurt or loses productivity, then he would be done after 4 years.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well I guess that's better than 5 guaranteed years.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    His original contract with the Giants was how many years? A lot. And the last few years, he was being paid pennies for what he was doing. I'm not surprised Barry got a cushy contract that should last him to the end of his career.