Exclusive: Apple to hold 7AM training, all staffers may get iPads

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

All this excess secrecy is just silly. Two hours to train their staff on the product? No wonder the Apple employees are so often completely clueless...their company doesn't give them time for proper training. Is all that matter is getting the product out the door as fast as possible?

How many hours do you think it will take to learn how to use a iPod Touch Maxi? I bet within the first 30 minutes the staff will have a pretty good idea of what this thing can do. If anything I bet you the employees are mad they have to come in so early for something as stupid as this.
  • Reply 42 of 46
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

How many hours do you think it will take to learn how to use a iPod Touch Maxi? I bet within the first 30 minutes the staff will have a pretty good idea of what this thing can do. If anything I bet you the employees are mad they have to come in so early for something as stupid as this.

I would think it's more of reviewing sales/feature script (so there is message uniformity), and likely demonstrating the sample/test content that the staff should use to show the iPad to customers - again, to maximize the first impression experience.

Knowing Apple, they will tell staff how to answer a variety of questions so there is consistency in information dissemination, reaffirm the "don't guess, ask" rule if you're not sure how to answer, and give them updates as to accessory availability, Applecare, and any sales attachment metrics they are trying to achieve.

In general, they are simply prepping for a very big and very busy day.
  • Reply 43 of 46
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Anyway, my take is Apple's requiring the phone hand-in so employees actually pay attention to the meeting (versus trying to post the first Facebook photos).

this is likely the reason. That and security. With so many folks working I would imagine that means a lot of stuff in lockers,more so than usual. And they might be shared lockers at smaller stores. Why cause an issue cause you have your big laptop bag with you.

Quote:

When your "most important product ever" is in short supply on its debut, why would you give it away in-house & leave your own customers waiting?

exactly. even if they give these things to the employees it will likely be in a few weeks. I heard that employees couldn't order the i7 imac until like 3 weeks ago because of the demand.

and if they include the ipad a back to school promo this year I bet employees won't get a discount or a free one until like October.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Two hours to train their staff on the product? No wonder the Apple employees are so often completely clueless

the OS is the same that they have been working with for almost 3 full years. They have the videos we have and probably more.

This morning thing was likely so they could just put hands on and get the feel for it plus take a look at how the email, which is different, works. Probably doesn't even take 2 hours. they would also have folks walking the line, checking off reservation names etc with those ipod touches they are always carrying around. likely have half the morning crew doing that while the other spends 45 or so playing and getting the scoop on the flow for the day. then switch.

then from like 8:40 to 8: 55 everyone takes their morning break and then they do this.
  • Reply 44 of 46
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

You know something easy to use that is self discoverable is desireable. Or do you enjoy spending hours downloading and reading manuals before using your electronic devices. Have you ever seen the Onion's take on this phenomenon?
  • Reply 45 of 46
    rtdunhamrtdunham Posts: 428member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

...Esp. with stores putting the iPad on sale at midnight? ...

did some stores do that? did not know that. cincinnati store opened 9 am.

the staffer who guided me thru purchase (i had one reserved) said he'd been working since midnight. but i was there when the store opened at 9.
  • Reply 46 of 46
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thrang View Post

In general, they are simply prepping for a very big and very busy day.

I hear ya. I'm sure there was sometime spent hanging the new signs and whatnot. Since it was a big day I would value every extra minute I had in bed, knowing what a zoo everything was about to become...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

You know something easy to use that is self discoverable is desireable. Or do you enjoy spending hours downloading and reading manuals before using your electronic devices. Have you ever seen the Onion's take on this phenomenon?

That's the beauty of Apple products. From my first iPod to now, the only Apple related manual I've ever looked at and just read from was Aperture. I enjoy self discovery, and Apple makes it easy to do.

I'm sure there are some new tricks to show the employees, but for the most part there was nothing groundbreaking here. I could see spending a few hows back when the touch OS was first introduced as Charlituna put it, three years ago.