WSJ: After strong initial demand, some lines for Apple iPad 'thin'

Comments

• Reply 81 of 203
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

With iPads still available in some stores, it looks like the iPad is flop

depends. if they made 500k ipads and 450k of them have sold, that's hardly a flop. we'll see come the first press release.

Also I I wonder if it being Easter weekend had an effect on lines. many folks might have decided to just wait until next weeek or even were simply busy with other things
  • Reply 82 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Lol... "the ZR1 won't sell, it's just a more powerful corvette", who would want that?

FLOP!

Well... I bought one of THOSE ! (and yes, it's just a more powerful Corvette... but what a difference a few extra HP make!!)... and I've also ordered a 3G iPad ... headed out the door now to see if Royal Hawaiian has any display models to "fondle".
  • Reply 83 of 203
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

depends. if they made 500k ipads and 450k of them have sold, that's hardly a flop. we'll see come the first press release.

Also I I wonder if it being Easter weekend had an effect on lines. many folks might have decided to just wait until next weeek or even were simply busy with other things

Hardly a flop if Munster's new estimates are correct:

http://blogs.forbes.com/velocity/201...partner=alerts
  • Reply 84 of 203
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Well... I've been to every Best Buy/Apple Store in the metro Las Vegas area today, and N O N E of them came remotely close to selling out of the iPad, and only two of them had a few (less than 10) people waiting at the door at store opening (as per the sales associates).

I spent a bit of time observing people 'playing' around with the demo devices, and the most oft asked questions were:

1. Is it a 'stand alone' computer ? (Answer: No, one must sync it to an actual computer like an iPhone/iPod to take full advantage of the device's capabilities)

2. Does it have a built-in web camera ? (Answer: No it doesn't)

3. Can it output HD video to a TV ? (Answer: No, it doesn't support true HD video, or built-in video output)

4. Does it have a built-in media card or thumb drive (UBS) reader for transferring pictures etc.? (Answer: No, that requires a Us 30.00 add-on, and it only support MMC/SD/SDHC cards)

It appears that a lot of potential buyers will be waiting for iPad 2.0...
  • Reply 85 of 203
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Well... I've been to every Best Buy/Apple Store in the metro Las Vegas area today, and N O N E of them came remotely close to selling out of the iPad, and only two of them had a few (less than 10) people waiting at the door at store opening (as per the sales associates).

I spent a bit of time observing people 'playing' around with the demo devices, and the most oft asked questions were:

1. Is it a 'stand alone' computer ? (Answer: No, one must sync it to an actual computer like an iPhone/iPod to take full advantage of the device's capabilities)

3. Can it output HD video to a TV ? (Answer: No, it doesn't support true HD video, or built-in video output)

4. Does it have a built-in media card or thumb drive (UBS) reader for transferring pictures etc.? (Answer: No, that requires a Us 30.00 add-on, and it only support MMC/SD/SDHC cards)

I'm waiting for a positive post from you. Your opinions and "surveys" are well off center to everyone else's experience.
  • Reply 86 of 203
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Oy vey!
  • Reply 87 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I'm waiting for a positive post from you. Your opinions and "surveys" are well off center to everyone else's experience.

I find it hard to believe he went to every Best Buy and Apple Store in Las Vegas just to survey people about the iPad, yet he can't seem to ever find a single decent thing to say about an Apple product. So odd.
  • Reply 88 of 203
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

What could be more 'positive' than the fact that I long ago ordered a 64gb/3g for myself, and picked up a 64gb WiFi for my nephew's graduation present next month.

Frankly, I really have no concern for 'the experiences' of others in this case, as all I was doing was posting what I saw over the last 9 (or so) hours.
  • Reply 89 of 203
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    It's interesting that in the various iPad discussions I've read today some people are very defensive of the new device when anything negative is said about it. I'd think they were on Apple's payroll if I didn't know better.

No one here has a lot of experience with an iPad (some, just over a half day) and many of us are trying to determine the pluses and minuses of using or buying one. If we want nothing but a rosy picture, we'll look at Apple's website.
  • Reply 90 of 203
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    I hate carrying around my MacBook because it's quite heavy. In fact it's very heavy IMO. Especially when you add up everything else in my bag. The long train rides in Japan can especially be a bummer with a 15kg bag. But I sometimes go to cafes after work or on the weekends because I work better in environments that are bustling and have more energy than a quiet house. I want to get an iPad because it's so light. A dream really. But I cannot imagine how I'm going to stand this device up on the coffee table and effectively type on the screen. A vertical orientation for typing won't work. I'll need a USB keyboard which totally defeats the purpose of buying a small easy to carry around device. It means you're using the iPad, the stand and an external keyboard. Forget about laying it down flat for 2 hours typing Word docs too because you're forced to look down at the screen. Laptops have good ergonomics because your hands are flat but you're looking straight ahead.

This is the only reason I might not buy an iPad. I think if others don't pull the trigger this may also be their reason. It can't quite replace a laptop.
  • Reply 91 of 203
    sfoalexsfoalex Posts: 22member
    I placed my pre-order for the iPad 3G with 64 GBs of storage. However with all the hype going on I wanted to get my hands on an iPad today. I went to the Apple Store at around 9:30AM. The line went clear around the block at the downtown San Francisco store. I went home. Later around 4:30PM I was reading the Wall Street Journal online and an article that caught my attention was that the lines had dissipated. Well with that in mind I decided to return to the downtown store. The line was virtually non existent. I waited for about 4 minutes in total fro line to iPad in my hands and walking out of the store.

I have to say that I had been worried. I travel several times a year and have tried to not bring a laptop. The iphone isn't enough to allow me to leave the laptop home.

When I got home I started to download apps for the iPad. After a few hours of use I'm convinced the iPad is a whole lot better than people expect. I for example started sending emails and reading the Wall Street Journal right away. I bought a Robin Williams comedy album directly in the itunes store and started listening while writing more emails.

After 5 hours I picked up my iPhone to check the name of my IM client and the phone felt dated to me since I had been using the iPad. I've been using this for 6 hours now and the one thing that truly sticks with me is how instant this is and how much it feels like a great tiny computer. It's very modern and accessible. The battery is only 49% used so far. Simply amazing technology.

I think you're going to see this start slow in terms of adoption but then pickup in a viral way. I can't wait for the 3G model to arrive. Hopefully in time for my trip to New York at the end of month. I'll be taking this with me and using it as much as possible between then and now. If I can get away with not carrying a laptop on every trip I'll be one happy guy.

Give the iPad a little time. I think word of mouth will work its magic soon enough. You see this catch on.
  • Reply 92 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sfoalex View Post

If I can get away with not carrying a laptop on every trip I'll be one happy guy.

If you read my post above yours you'll see that I want the same thing but don't think it's possible.
  • Reply 93 of 203
    djdjdjdj Posts: 74member
    At my local Best Buy where I got my iPad there was no line whatsoever until 15 minutes before the store opened. I waited in my truck until 9:45 and I was third in line. When the doors opened at 10 there were maybe 15 people waiting. Considering that the store got 60 units, nobody really even needed to wait in line at all.

I talked a friend in Texas who didn't decide to get one until 3pm, and he had no trouble getting one.

Demand wasn't nearly as heavy as anyone anticipated.
  • Reply 94 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

I hate carrying around my MacBook because it's quite heavy. In fact it's very heavy IMO. Especially when you add up everything else in my bag. The long train rides in Japan can especially be a bummer with a 15kg bag. But I sometimes go to cafes after work or on the weekends because I work better in environments that are bustling and have more energy than a quiet house. I want to get an iPad because it's so light. A dream really. But I cannot imagine how I'm going to stand this device up on the coffee table and effectively type on the screen. A vertical orientation for typing won't work. I'll need a USB keyboard which totally defeats the purpose of buying a small easy to carry around device. It means you're using the iPad, the stand and an external keyboard. Forget about laying it down flat for 2 hours typing Word docs too because you're forced to look down at the screen. Laptops have good ergonomics because your hands are flat but you're looking straight ahead.

This is the only reason I might not buy an iPad. I think if others don't pull the trigger this may also be their reason. It can't quite replace a laptop.

The iPad may be 1.5lbs but it feels heavy. i was surprised at how heavy it was, but that seems to be the case with all Apple products due to their density; you just expect something lighter for the size.

What about the iPad case. It looks cleverly designed to allow for typing on the soft keyboard while placed on a flat surface. The other option is to carry a Bluetooth keyboard. The keyboard with the dock was clearly not made to be portable or they would have added a way to fold down the stand backing. Andy Ihnatko pointed that out days ago which pretty much makes a no go for truly portable users.

If you are going to be typing for hours at a time I can't see how any tablet device could be a good fit. For replies mixed in with reading, sure, but not for anything extensive; I can't even see that as a viable option for those that have the physical keyboard simply because the display is too small, but that could be because I"m so use to writing on a larger platform.
  • Reply 95 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The iPad may be 1.5lbs but it feels heavy. i was surprised at how heavy it was, but that seems to be the case with all Apple products due to their density; you just expect something lighter for the size.

What about the iPad case. It looks cleverly designed to allow for typing on the soft keyboard while placed on a flat surface. The other option is to carry a Bluetooth keyboard. The keyboard with the dock was clearly not made to be portable or they would have added a way to fold down the stand backing. Andy Ihnatko pointed that out days ago which pretty much makes a no go for truly portable users.

If you are going to be typing for hours at a time I can't see how any tablet device could be a good fit. For replies mixed in with reading, sure, but not for anything extensive; I can't even see that as a viable option for those that have the physical keyboard simply because the display is too small, but that could be because I"m so use to writing on a larger platform.

Well 1.5 lbs is certainly better than 5.5 lbs. For me the display isn't too small but as you said I don't think any tablet it going to cut it UNLESS we have a rolling/folding design for a WiFi/BT keyboard. That keyboard will have to be made of a soft material resembling fabric i.e. carbon fibre or rubber and it will have to be touch for true portability.
  • Reply 96 of 203
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

It won't replace laptop for type-intensive job. That said you should look into Apple case if it''d somewhat solve your problem.
  • Reply 97 of 203
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

What a ridiculous post. Does this thing make tea? No. Because it's not designed to.

You point out four points, all of which do not form part of the function of this device. Sorry that you don't "get it".

Re. Your fourth point - what a shame that the $30 kit only allows the connection of the standard media card formats - what a shame that it (only?!) supports MMC/SD/SDHC cards, and a USB adapter which allows you to connect your camera directly to it. How limiting.

Why are you even here - if you've nothing positive to say it just makes you look stupid to repeatedly come out with the negative, narrow minded narrative.
  • Reply 98 of 203
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If you're going to be typing for hours at a time, then you'd never do so on a tablet - why do people miss this point? Buy the right tool for the job - apple provide machines for a variety of tasks now from the iPod classic to the mac pro. This is a media consumption and light creation device - that's what is being sold as - why don't people simply open their minds and understand? If my four year old nephew gets it, my 63 year old mother gets it, then why does this minority of the supposedly tech community not?

It browses the web, plays music, checks emails, displays your photos, acts as an eBook reader, lets you play games and watch video. You can do some basic iWork creation on it.

It's really simple:

The iPod is a consumption device for games, apps, media

The iPhone is an iPod Touch with telephony functionality.

The MacBook is a laptop computer for media creation on the go

The Mac desktop range is for serious content creation.

and the iPad just joined the party somewhere between the iPod and the macBook.

Do try and keep up. Yes - it can't be used to edit 250meg high resolution photoshop files while rendering 3D graphics in the background. That is not a fault. It's a little like saying you can't put a nail into wood with a screwdriver - get with the plan, understand what this product is, who it is aimed at.

It's not a netbook replacement - Steve's very clear point was that nobody really wants a netbook - what they want is a cheap laptop. A netbook is just an under-spec'd laptop that doesn't do anything particularly well, because they tend to be crippled by slow processor running unnecessary processes (such as full OS when all people want to do is browse the web or listen to music/check email). The iPad was introduced to the market as a product to fill the gap between smart phone and laptop - not as a laptop or netbook or desktop computer replacement. It is a NEW product category. Do try and keep up. Some people simply do not need a fully blown computer - all they do is use facebook and email and like to listen to music. You don't need an iMac for that.

There are a lot of naysayers making themselves look very stupid because they can't understand a very simple concept which the non-tech community understand.
  • Reply 99 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

The iPad was introduced to the market as a product to fill the gap between smart phone and laptop - not as a laptop or netbook or desktop computer replacement. It is a NEW product category. Do try and keep up. Some people simply [b]do not need a fully blown computer[b] - all they do is use facebook and email and like to listen to music. You don't need an iMac for that.

There are a lot of naysayers making themselves look very stupid because they can't understand a very simple concept which the non-tech community understand.

So I need to buy a fully blown computer if I wanted to type Word documents for two hours? Going by your theory you don't seem to get it either. If those people only need the iPad for FaceBook then they can easily get by with a small iPhone. Don't need an iPad for FaceBook.

I didnt' say I'd be typing for hours on end or intensively. However I might use the iPad for say 2 hrs at a time at a cafe. The problem is the length of time using the device and the position it's in. Even if I'm doing basic editing in Word, Wordpress or something similar, I think having to use it flat on the table or upright in a stand while also trying to type in a vertical position even for a few minutes would prove to be tiresome.

I'd love to hear from one of you who has an Pad and tell me what it's like to place an iPad flat on a cafe height level table or stool height level table while arching your arms and hands over top trying to type flat on the virtual keyboard

and...

place the iPad on the stand and type on the iPad's virtual keyboard while having to keep your arms up only for 5 minutes to type vertically. 5 minutes is hardly what I call intensive and I bet it's a pain in the azz.

Errmm...I just thought about using the Macbook without it's battery to save me some travelling weight. You can do it. However...

Quote:

"If the battery is removed from a MacBook or MacBook Pro, the computer will automatically reduce the processor speed. This prevents the computer from shutting down if it demands more power than the A/C adaptor alone can provide.

Additional information

Important: It is strongly recommended that you do not use your MacBook or MacBook Pro while the battery is removed. Accidently bumping the A/C adaptor could disconnect power and shutdown the computer. Any information that was not saved on your computer would be lost."

• Reply 100 of 203
    gchristegchriste Posts: 43member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djdj View Post

At my local Best Buy where I got my iPad there was no line whatsoever until 15 minutes before the store opened. I waited in my truck until 9:45 and I was third in line. When the doors opened at 10 there were maybe 15 people waiting. Considering that the store got 60 units, nobody really even needed to wait in line at all.

I talked a friend in Texas who didn't decide to get one until 3pm, and he had no trouble getting one.

Demand wasn't nearly as heavy as anyone anticipated.

Why are people assuming that because every single iPad in the US did not sell out this thing is a flop? Apple would have been doing everything they could to build up stock, so that the people who decided to wait til tomorrow will still have stock to buy.

No one knows how much stock they actually had. If for example that had stock of 1million units available including pre-orders, and they still had some stock left over, big deal. If they only had stock of 200,000 and had heaps left over, then yes you may have more of a point.

Wait til some real figures surface.