WSJ: After strong initial demand, some lines for Apple iPad 'thin'

Comments

• Reply 121 of 203
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

It's interesting that in the various iPad discussions I've read today some people are very defensive of the new device when anything negative is said about it. I'd think they were on Apple's payroll if I didn't know better.

No one here has a lot of experience with an iPad (some, just over a half day) and many of us are trying to determine the pluses and minuses of using or buying one. If we want nothing but a rosy picture, we'll look at Apple's website.

I've spent the better part of a day with mine. During that time I have: streamed a movie from Netflix, listened to and read news stories from NPR, posted to this forum, surfed the web, watched a movie I ripped from a DVD, downloaded and played a game, loaded and viewed some photos, and downloaded a book (which I read in bed before turning out the lights and then for a while with the lights out). I am now sitting on my sofa with the iPad on my lap, responding to your post. Today I hope to become aquainted with iWork, and download photos from my camera.

The only reservations I can report at this time is that I am not quickly adjusting to being unable to touch-type with the keyboard. I also will probably never be totally happy with the fiddle of having to shift the keyboard to have access to some punctuation and numbers.

Other than that, I have no major complaints. I can easily see it becoming an important part of my daily routine, without having more then bearly scratched the surface its capabilities.
  • Reply 122 of 203
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

And did you really spend all those hours going around the city looking at all those stores trying to see how many people were lined up? Really now!

Absolutely! I wouldn't have stated as much if I hadn't, as I see no value in compromising my integrity when I place so much emphasis on informing people/consumer advocacy.

You doubting my actions is of no consequence to me one way or another, and is (somewhat) representative of the level of disrespect/disregard for any/all dissenting/diverse views in this forum by so many of its 'elite members'.

Again, I'd rather not delve into personal matters (e.g. the questioning of one's integrity/truthfulness) here, as they have nothing to do with the topic of this tread.

Thank You
  • Reply 123 of 203
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    [QUOTE=Originally Posted by jlandd

Bingo.

I love reading posts by people with doomsday negatives about any product they only know about from third hand accounts of videos of children who can't properly use a toothbrush much less a computer, because I know I can just skip the whole post, it's meaningless.

The only way we'll know if the iPad is a disappointment is if the people who bought them end up thinking so. We'll never find out from anyone else. Can't type without sliding? Too glaring to read? Too anything, not enough of something else? If you didn't buy one, or at least use one for a week, I won't read your foolishness.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Undo Redo View Post

Ok, I'm going to bed then.

Undo Redo, I would like to apologize for the way that response turned out. It was not meant as a mean-spirited personal attack, which it does look like. It began as a very general post about the issue of people using bad info as info, then edited a bit and with an allusion to your post added, which I should have proof-read. Believe it or not, the "your" wasn't a reference to you, but rather the general foolishness, but it didn't end up with the right wording for that, and for that I apologize. I also skipped the smiley, because I generally don't go for that kind of thing, but I should have used it

j
  • Reply 124 of 203
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I've spent the better part of a day with mine. During that time I have: streamed a movie from Netflix, listened to and read news stories from NPR, posted to this forum, surfed the web, watched a movie I ripped from a DVD, downloaded and played a game, loaded and viewed some photos, and downloaded a book (which I read in bed before turning out the lights and then for a while with the lights out). I am now sitting on my sofa with the iPad on my lap, responding to your post. Today I hope to become aquainted with iWork, and download photos from my camera.

The only reservations I can report at this time is that I am not quickly adjusting to being unable to touch-type with the keyboard. I also will probably never be totally happy with the fiddle of having to shift the keyboard to have access to some punctuation and numbers.

Other than that, I have no major complaints. I can easily see it becoming an important part of my daily routine, without having more then bearly scratched the surface its capabilities.

You see, with the exception of iWorks and Netflix (which is coming to the iPhone soon), I can do all of that stuff on my iPhone + it fits in my pocket. THAT is why I'm having trouble seeing the need to spend another $500 (and most of us have iPhones or iPod touches anyway).

But to each his own
  • Reply 125 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

You see, with the exception of iWorks and Netflix (which is coming to the iPhone soon), I can do all of that stuff on my iPhone + it fits in my pocket. THAT is why I'm having trouble seeing the need to spend another $500 (and most of us have iPhones or iPod touches anyway).

But to each his own

The iWork part is going to be important I think, and of course the additional screen real estate is a factor not to be so easily dismissed. I could also do much of this on my iPod but rarely did, because the screen is just too small. The keyboard is still not as natural as I would like it to be, but it's far and away more usable than the iPod keyboard.

Of course you don't "have" to spend the money, but if you're interested in knowing from those of us who have, whether it's money well spent, then stay tuned. So far, I'd say yes.
  • Reply 126 of 203
    sfoalexsfoalex Posts: 22member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

If you read my post above yours you'll see that I want the same thing but don't think it's possible.

I'm thinking it might be okay. I can read documents and reply to emails. I would like more functionality in the email client though. It falls a little short from even modest email capabilities. I really like this a lot. It could be improved a little and still stay within it's self-made category. It would make all the difference.
  • Reply 127 of 203
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:

We read your posts. We see what you write. If I read 100 posts by someone, and 98 are negative, it's easy to get an idea of where they're coming from.

These sort of off-topic posts about a particular member, and what is wrong with him, BY A MODERATOR, make me sorry I signed up for this forum.
  • Reply 128 of 203
    synoticsynotic Posts: 151member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

I think having to use it flat on the table or upright in a stand while also trying to type in a vertical position even for a few minutes would prove to be tiresome.

success:

Are you also familiar with the third orientation? I didn't know if you were just excluding it, but if you have the case, the only options aren't flat on a table and standing vertically. The case is also designed to be used somewhat flat, raised at roughly the angle of a keyboard. You can see a picture here: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC361ZM/A
  • Reply 129 of 203
    undo redoundo redo Posts: 164member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

Undo Redo, I would like to apologize for the way that response turned out. It was not meant as a mean-spirited personal attack, which it does look like.

j

Thank you. No harm done. I'm looking forward to trying out an iPad. Too bad I'll have to drive 100 miles to see one.
  • Reply 130 of 203
    katonahkatonah Posts: 95member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Synotic View Post

success:

Are you also familiar with the third orientation? I didn't know if you were just excluding it, but if you have the case, the only options aren't flat on a table and standing vertically. The case is also designed to be used somewhat flat, raised at roughly the angle of a keyboard. You can see a picture here: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC361ZM/A

Also if you prefer typing while the ipad is standing vertically, you are better off with the stand that has a keyboard. Yes it will set you back $69 but it's a real keyboard and if you need to do a lot of typing, probably preferable. This way you have the best of both worlds..... keyboard for typing and the world's greatest media/connectivity machine when casual typing on virtual keyboard is enough.
  • Reply 131 of 203
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Then there are the "Big Bang Theory" geeks. Those are the full time geeks. The iPad will be great. They can carry ALL their comic books around with them ALL of the time!

1) For a standard, formulaic sitcom I find The Big Bang Theory to be hilarious.

2) I've never been a fan of comic books (nothing against them, just never into them) but yesterday I read the 6 free and bought the 2 iron Man comics on the Marvel app.

3) My only wish is that Apple designed an open multimedia book format that can do everything they are doing now in the magazine and comic book apps, but through a centralized store. Maybe next year.
  • Reply 132 of 203
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder

If that's your perception of the situation, then so be it, but it appears to be more a matter of selective memory than anything based in fact, as I simply post my opinions (both flattering and otherwise), though many in this forum do tend to focus solely on those 'opinions' with which they don't agree... yourself included.

But this thread really isn't about me, personally, it's about first day iPad buying/sales experiences.

We read your posts. We see what you write. If I read 100 posts by someone, and 98 are negative, it's easy to get an idea of where they're coming from. With more balanced posting it's easier to take negative remarks seriously. I mostly am positive, otherwise I wouldn't be using Apple's products, but I make more than enough negative posts about products and actions by Apple when I feel they are warranted. So, if you really are going to buy an iPad, and "review" it here, I would expect your review to pretty much reflect the results of all the other reviews now online. If it's out of left field, then we would be scratching our heads about why, and wondering how.

And did you really spend all those hours going around the city looking at all those stores trying to see how many people were lined up? Really now!

For the reasons you state, DH has been on my IL a long time so I miss most of DH's post. Sometimes negativity, if its well founded is a good counter point to discussion. DH would be more credible if he/she would cite, link or quote his/hers sources. Another thing about counter points is that they should be relevant to the topic at hand and not offered as a deflection to get the thread off topic. Negativity can be constructive if well documented alternatives are offered in the comment. The reason why DH ended up on my IL is first the annoying habit to center justify his/her post until that option was removed, then when I could read his/her post nothing but total negativity with nothing else to offer the forum. So I agree with you in part and disagree with you in part for the stated reasons.
  • Reply 133 of 203
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcbrided View Post

It's missing soooo much including flash, ability to edit docs and a webcam.

The iPad's saving grace, imho, is going to come from a third party...namely: dropbox

Can't edit docs? You have no clue, man.

And, what the heck is a 'dropbox?'
  • Reply 134 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

These sort of off-topic posts about a particular member, and what is wrong with him, BY A MODERATOR, make me sorry I signed up for this forum.

You can always just leave..... (you obviously haven't bothered to get much of a sense of this Forum before you signed up).
  • Reply 135 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Absolutely! I wouldn't have stated as much if I hadn't, as I see no value in compromising my integrity when I place so much emphasis on informing people/consumer advocacy.

You doubting my actions is of no consequence to me one way or another, and is (somewhat) representative of the level of disrespect/disregard for any/all dissenting/diverse views in this forum by so many of its 'elite members'.

Again, I'd rather not delve into personal matters (e.g. the questioning of one's integrity/truthfulness) here, as they have nothing to do with the topic of this tread.

Thank You

Actually, your posts are totally tiresome, and add little value. Like someone said, post actual sources, cites and such. And, stop being so quick to sound wounded and offended -- if you can't take, don't dish out the incessant negativity in an Apple fan site.

I've got a great recommendation for you: engadget.com; you'll love it.
  • Reply 136 of 203
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

Please stick with AI, there are good threads and bad threads, just depends whether we stay on topic. If you stick with us you will find that there are certain trolls and the like that make it their calling to disrupt a forum's topic.
  • Reply 137 of 203
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpod View Post

Just a theory, based on nothing more than actually being there, but maybe the Apple stores were just really efficient at processing orders? I was about 70th in line and was out the door with my new toy at 15 minutes past the hour.

Very good point. By comparison, I was only 11th in line for the iPhone 3G on launch day and didn't walk out of the AT&T store with my phone until an hour or more after they started letting people in.
  • Reply 138 of 203
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

The iWork part is going to be important I think, and of course the additional screen real estate is a factor not to be so easily dismissed. I could also do much of this on my iPod but rarely did, because the screen is just too small. The keyboard is still not as natural as I would like it to be, but it's far and away more usable than the iPod keyboard.

Of course you don't "have" to spend the money, but if you're interested in knowing from those of us who have, whether it's money well spent, then stay tuned. So far, I'd say yes.

I understand the screen real estate part, but that's what my MBP is for

I see no need for THREE devices. Maybe if you're a "light" productivity person, you could get away with it. But for someone that already has a notebook and a smartphone, I'm still scratching my head.

I mean, I'm going to need a carrying case or throw the iPad in a bag if I travel with it -- hell, might as well use my MBP instead.
  • Reply 139 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I understand the screen real estate part, but that's what my MBP is for

I see no need for THREE devices. Maybe if you're a "light" productivity person, you could get away with it. But for someone that already has a notebook and a smartphone, I'm still scratching my head.

I mean, I'm going to need a carrying case or throw the iPad in a bag if I travel with it -- hell, might as well use my MBP instead.

Possibly. I'm not saying everyone will want an iPad, especially if you're a laptop owner who takes it almost everywhere anyway. Most of my "heavy" work is done on my iMac and my PowerBook is over five years old, ready for retirement. I think the iPad will be a very good replacement for the PowerBook on the road, and it will get a lot of use on the sofa at home. YMMV.
  • Reply 140 of 203
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Please stick with AI, there are good threads and bad threads, just depends whether we stay on topic. If you stick with us you will find that there are certain trolls and the like that make it their calling to disrupt a forum's topic.

Josh.B.,

Be aware that here at Apple Insider, TROLL is commonly defined as any/everyone with an opinion not in complete conformity with the 'AI Elite' (note: easily identified by their constant references to the unusually large number of individuals residing in their ignore boxes for allegedly TROLLing).

Just read back through this thread, and you'll see that I simply stated my opinion based on the day's experiences, yet was instantly called into question, whereas those who only lauded every aspect of Apple's first day of iPad sales (complete with mandatory Apple talking point paraphrasing in many cases) were not asked to quantify/qualify their respective statements in the least.

For me this site is usually an interesting read, and I will always endeavor to participate respectfully/within forum rules, but there is a degree of frustration when one finds that that's simply not enough... You Must Also Fall In Line With The Self-Designated Powers That Be Or Be Personally Attacked.

Oh Well... That's The Way Things Go Sometimes - End of Discussion/Back To The Topic At Hand -