First Look: iPad

Comments

• Reply 81 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gotApple View Post

to toys with toy operating systems...

Hilarious - that's EXACTLY what they called the first Mac back in the day. This thing is more revolutionary than I thought.

Thanks troll!
  • Reply 82 of 106
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by surefire View Post

dagamer34 what are u smoking? I would like some of it because u sure must be having a PIPE DREAM to think/phantom the idea of touch typing on the virtual keyboard or perhaps you u got chicken fingers. Hope u get my message and can also take a joke.

Even God, the creator of man and man the creator of iPad - even God can't touch type on the damn virtual keyboard. Well with GOD all things are possible so perhaps only GOD is capable of being productive/typing with the virtual keyboard if u get my gist

Could we keep "God" out of it? In the first place this is a technology dscussion and magical beings have no place in such discussions. Religion poisions any logical debate in that it's an appeal to irrationality.

Secondly, what you posted is blasphemous, for that portion of the population that is religious.
  • Reply 83 of 106
    surefiresurefire Posts: 11member
    Yeah I kinda went off a little bit on that one.

I really didn't have to say that
  • Reply 84 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Secondly, what you posted is blasphemous, for that portion of the population that is religious.

So are you going to fly a plane into a building now?

Don't do it!
  • Reply 85 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frankie View Post

I still can't understand how this thing doesn't have a USB port...

Seriously I don't get it.

Because it doesn't need one.
  • Reply 86 of 106
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:

As far as I can tell the USB is only for importing photos- with an adapter. Just put a dang USB port on it and you can move files around effortlessly...seriously. What would that cost them 50 cents?!

Absolutely! The very essential reason not to buy and use one!! *Whew* Glad we got that settled!
  • Reply 87 of 106
    edtechedtech Posts: 4member
    Quote:

I still can't understand how this thing doesn't have a USB port...

Seriously I don't get it.

Could it be that if you put in a USB port, you have to power that port and make accomodations in your power supply budget and architecture to route power for those inevitable bus powered usb devices that will be connected to it? Perhaps Apple kept the USB port off (and minimized its number on the MacBook Air) to keep the power requirements down and thus prolong the battery life of these devices?
  • Reply 88 of 106
    fairlyfairly Posts: 102member
    Oh so good, Dilbert, to see you bringing things out of the closet - publishing under your own name at AI at last! You're getting brave again, aren't you, Dilbert! Digg couldn't keep you down forever!

You're a lot like George Lincoln Rockwell, you know, which I presume those who've encountered you closer than most of us would want have pointed out from time to time? That might be something to be proud of? Particularly if you seldom have anything to not be truly ashamed of?

Oh - almost forgot. Someone lent me a copy of that slop of a book you wrote. Yes, it's about as useless as everyone's already intimated. Nothing technically interesting - all you did was copy from freely available articles at apple.com. 'Tis a shame - a budding author as yourself!

You don't really have a pedigree in anything but the Apple swastika, do you, Dilbert? You give fanbois a bad name, Dilbert! And you'd never get a job at Wikipedia - your articles never have any external references - none! For the simple reason no one else shares your twisted skewed view of the world. And what were the odds of that? And thank goodness for that too - or what, Dilbert! I'd be very surprised to find Steve Jobs is not personally embarrassed and troubled by you.

Have a nice holiday, Dilbert. Spring is here! Take off that tinfoil hat you wear so proudly for a while and enjoy a walk in FRESH AIR.

Ta.
  • Reply 89 of 106
    marty1marty1 Posts: 1member
    The article mentions that it will not support other bluetooth devices outside of the keyboard and headphones. Have you tested the Bose soundlink speaker which is detected on the itouch and can connect. . It is a very useful functionality as it allows you to listed to any web audio from the itouch and the sound quality is good, speaker portable
  • Reply 90 of 106
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

You have a very good point!. The ipad does/fits the niche what the MBA was intended to do......

unless of course you need a mac.
  • Reply 91 of 106
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    because apps like this one get the jobs done anyway:

http://mobile.eurosmartz.com/products/printnshare.html

wouldn't surprise me if Apple adds some of these capabilities to iPhone/iPad 4.0 OS ... but in the meantime smart developers like this will make some good money - deservedly (and Apple gets 30% anyway).
  • Reply 92 of 106
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

because apps like this one get the jobs done anyway:

http://mobile.eurosmartz.com/products/printnshare.html

wouldn't surprise me if Apple adds some of these capabilities to iPhone/iPad 4.0 OS ... but in the meantime smart developers like this will make some good money - deservedly (and Apple gets 30% anyway).

I was hoping for a parallel port on the iPad.
  • Reply 93 of 106
    arlomediaarlomedia Posts: 271member
    Well, I got mine yesterday (more on that in a moment) and played with it most of the evening. I only got it for app development and will be giving it away in a few weeks, so it's not mine to keep, but I intend to give it some real-world testing in the meantime. Here are my reactions so far:

+ Viewing my photo library is marvelous. I expected this ... I'd love to have one of these to take to family reunions and pass around when talking about my last vacation, house projects, etc.

+ Browsing the web is better than I expected. The iPhone version of Safari really works well here, scaling websites to fit the window in either orientation, and scrolling and zooming with the touch interface.

+ And reading e-books ... I never even considered this, but the book reader is really cool and Project Gutenberg is amazing ... I immediately downloaded two books I've been meaning to read and I can't wait to try this.

- No Flash for video. I don't care about Flash eye-candy on some websites, but I do watch a lot of streaming video and virtually all of that is in Flash. When I got up early to stream a European bike race this morning, I grabbed my MacBook because I knew I wouldn't be able to use the iPad. Sadly, I'd expect it to take 1-2 years for HTML 5 to become prevalent enough to avoid this problem.

- Doesn't replace an iPod. It does pictures and video better than my iPod touch, but I can't put it in my back pocket to listen to music while I'm working outside, or slip it onto a dashboard mount to connect to the car stereo.

- Doesn't work as a standalone computer. I would strongly recommend this to some relatives who need a zero-maintenance web and email computer -- it's the closest thing to a functional "web appliance" that I've used. But you still need a main computer to operate it. It wouldn't even show the home screen without syncing to iTunes first.

One thing I haven't tested is the keyboard. My accuracy has been excellent for entering web URLs, but I haven't tried writing email with it yet. I usually don't even bother on my iPod touch, so I'm wondering how much more usable this will be. If I can write email on it, this could replace a laptop for shorter out-of-town trips, but if not, there's no way I could justify the cost for casual around-the-house use.

Now for the delivery story: I spent the morning at home waiting for UPS, but I wanted to run some errands so I finally left a note with my signature, which has worked fine in the past. When I got home, UPS had been there and gone, leaving a handwritten note that said, "Sorry, signature required" -- I was mad! But then I found two telephone messages from the UPS driver, one when he came the first time, and another two hours later when he came back again! He left his own number, so I called him back. He had just returned to the warehouse but offered to drive out again and meet me half way! I laughed and told him I'd be happy to come to the warehouse to pick it up. He left it for me at the guard house of the UPS air terminal, where the security guards were really suspicious until I showed them my call slip, and then were really excited and wanted to know all about the iPad. UPS really wanted to get these delivered on launch day and they seemed excited to be a part of the launch event! I must say, that made it all the more fun to get the device and drive home to try it out.
  • Reply 94 of 106
    undo redoundo redo Posts: 164member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arlomedia View Post

Well, I got mine yesterday (more on that in a moment) and played with it most of the evening. I only got it for app development and will be giving it away in a few weeks, so it's not mine to keep, but I intend to give it some real-world testing in the meantime. Here are my reactions so far:

Thanks! Best user review I've seen yet.
  • Reply 95 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorBenway View Post

So are you going to fly a plane into a building now?

Don't do it!

What a startlingly innapropriate thing to say.
  • Reply 96 of 106
    This post has been reported for the long tedious personal attack that it is.

Couldn't you have even added a single thing relevant to the thread or the discussion to disguise the personal attack?

Or perhaps made the personal attack more entertaining? Or best of all, could you have just shortened the whole thing and just called the author an idiot instead? It would have saved a great deal of time.
  • Reply 97 of 106
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

To those who are proud to have coined the idea that "the iPhone OS is all about consuming information rather than creating anything": maybe you need to dig a little deeper. Even without a physical keyboard, the hands-on touch features of iPad are clearly creating all sorts of ways to build original content.

What sorts of ways to build original content are the hands-on touch features creating?
  • Reply 98 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

This doesn't apply to anyone here, but to those who persist in using "this is nothing but a big iPod Touch" cliche, consider this. One might as well critique the truck by saying that it is nothing more than a large car. While they both have all the same basic components and structure, would we really want to scrap trucks because we have cars? Sometimes scaling up allows you to do some things better.

I think that you are missing the point. If one were expecting/hoping for/wanting a tablet computer, a big-screen cellphone is disappointing. It is good in its own way, but it is nothing like what you wanted/needed/hoped for.

So the truck is good. It is fine. It is a big car. But if you expected/wanted/needed an airplane, a truck is disappointing.
  • Reply 99 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by veblen View Post

I don't recall apple marketing this as a dream to type on.

Seemingly you did not watch the keynote. It is available on You Tube.
  • Reply 100 of 106
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    I just noticed you can move up to 6 icons down into the dock, and they display in portrait or landscape.

6 icon dock!