iFixit's iPad teardown finds huge dual battery, 256MB of RAM in A4

Comments

• Reply 61 of 97
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

OK smart guy. Perhaps you can point out where it (his link) states that, "[he] will be forced into a another 3 year long agreement."

BTW, when you quote someone, at least spell it out as written.

i am sorry for my poor joke

only kidding

ok dude

ragu is a food

i agreed w/ you

not HIM !!!

peace 9
  • Reply 62 of 97
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Moloch View Post

Let's have the new Macbook Pro's, please. Or I'm going to abandon Apple.

Seriously? You are going fuss like this knowing that Apple does routine updates?? Is this just a bid to get attention or are you really this immature? Kidding!! But for me - the idea of the iPad plus a good desktop like the iMac i7 suddenly became my solution for portable computing. For most of everything I do in mobility mode the iPad is the dog's bollocks. Light-weight, compact, portable NOT clamshell (so 20th century), and I can remote back to my desktop anytime I want to do something. So I have, for just a little more change than a full laptop/notebook, ultra portability and ....wait isn't there a disney film quote I can abuse - oh yeah: "phenomenal computational powers - itty-bitty portable device" Yeah that sez it.

Not the right solution for everyone else, just me. I see the need for nice kick-ass MBP, but it's not necessary for me any longer.
  • Reply 63 of 97
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fyngyrz

The news about the light sensor... bad news. That means it wasn't ready for a camera, perhaps not shipping now because of production or supply problems, but instead that the design was actually so flawed as to not include one at all. Impossible to understand how they could be so short-sighted.g...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

OBVIOUSLY they should have consulted with you before they went ahead and built this thing...

i agree. what a bunch of crybabies. this sounds like the old 'copy/paste' whine. imagine if apple put out copy/paste feature before they perfected it for their hard/software. the trolls would be all over the shit.

if the ipad isn't your ideal piece of technology right now, don't buy it and stop whining.

i think it's an amazing piece of technology. and, yes, because it's by apple. it probably runs beautifully so users can spend more time doing what was intended, rather than tinkering with it and trying to get it to work or worrying about 3rd party apps that crash the software.

i think we'll see the real impact of the ipad in a few years when apple has had time to rethink or retool some of the features, but more importantly, the developers will have some amazing real world applications to bring to the format?not just fart and game apps.

i'm perfectly content with my apple products and with a company that doesn't wait around to innovate. this just gives apple's competitors something to copy?er?shoot for. and, as most of you trolls say, 'competition is good'. i agree.
  • Reply 64 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Wow, that's rather surprising. How does this thing perform the way it does with so little RAM? I spent better than 6 hrs yesterday playing on my wife's iPad. I played games, watched movies, listened to music, and browsed many of my favorite sites - all without a single hiccup.

Could someone with a better understanding than I have, explain how this is even possible? I'm assuming it's the OS and perhaps the processor.

I think it performs well at this point because in most cases you are only running 1 app at a time. In such a case 256MB of RAM is plenty. How much RAM realistically does a browser really need to display a web page or does a word processor like Pages need? It shouldn't be in the 100s of MBs. It's only on desktop that the price of RAM is so cheap and people generally have so much of it that software is becoming so bloated.

I think the concern with 256MB of RAM is not right now, but in the future if multitasking is coming with iPhone OS 4. If everyone is writing their apps on the basis of the third-gen iPhone and iPod Touch and the iPad having 256MB of RAM, it's going to be a problem when you try to run multiple apps of that size at the same time. 512MB of RAM would have definitely provided breathing room.

http://twitter.com/zodttd/status/11592511853

On another note, it's been confirmed that the iPad has the same PowerVR SGX535 as the iPhone 3GS. Given that the iPad has more than 5 times the pixels to draw and the iPad GPU is most likely not clocked 5 times higher, the iPhone 3GS does still have the most GPU power per pixel. The iPad's advantage though is that iPad apps are optimized for OpenGL ES 2.0 and 256MB of RAM so they aren't limited by held back by having to accommodate code reuse for OpenGL ES 1.1 and smaller textures to fit 128MB of RAM to be backwards compatible with older iPhone models. There is probably still a while yet before the SGX535 is fully utilized, but the iPad will peak before the iPhone 3GS.
  • Reply 65 of 97
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

No geiger counter, ham radio or food processor either! Count me out!

Not true! Steven Colbert proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that it can make salsa.
  • Reply 66 of 97
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I disagree, some families are separated by huge geographical distances these days and video conferencing allows grandparents to see and interact with their grandchildren and is one of the experiences they look forward to most in life. While it's not perfect, it would be a hell of a lot easier to get a kid to stay focused on an iPad video-chat than at a desktop or laptop. They could even allow the child to interact with apps while on video so they could play a piano or read a book or finger-paint a picture of their grandparents and email it. The uses go beyond just video-chat too, as I said before, a kid could take a picture of themselves and use a photobooth app or costume app to play around with.

There's no sense in excusing the lack of features on a device by saying the features are useless anyway when Apple puts those same features on a huge number of other products. It's quite obvious that the focus here was on cost, which is why they went with lower RAM too. The compromise was to cut everything else down that adds to the production cost and make sure the focal point of the product (the display) is excellent quality as that's what people will judge it by.

If I was offered the choice between a 1GB RAM iPad with a webcam and a TN screen or a 256MB RAM iPad, no webcam and an IPS display, I'd take the latter any day. But while I have no use for the webcam, it's still a good feature to have and they could have gone with a cheaper one just to have the functionality. It's not as if they were struggling for space or anything.

I don't feel any need to argue the cost positioning issue but I frankly have used the webcam on my iMac maybe a handful of times in its entire seven year existence - notably on major holidays to connect up with my family scattered all over the US. And some quick and dirty photobooth shots. That's it. Now try to figure out how, with a physical format that is meant to be flexibly horizontal or vertical - depending on your immediate need or desire, to position a camera, angle it so that it can be used conveniently, configure your software to be able to hard-disable it for things like government and medical practice use (privacy/confidentially issues) and sell that as a feature. Why not let 3rd party devs take this on as an add-on to the device rather than build it in? That way the marketability for it remains very wide (to include those uses that would be restricted or not used) and the lack thereof is not that big a deal. It's a win all the way around - you leave it fully useable for government, medical, lab development where recording and photo devices are restricted, you don't have to devote dev time to engineer a decent camera solution, the software to support it, and the restriction solution that probably won't be acceptable to those restricted use situations anyway. As a cross-over device, this makes sense. And to consign those who don't see the need as simply in denial is rather presumptuous. It would be like me saying "you "feature-fanatics" aren't satisified until it does everything except pick your nose and wipe your ass". Equally unfair and equally untrue.
  • Reply 67 of 97
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

. While it's not perfect, it would be a hell of a lot easier to get a kid to stay focused on an iPad video-chat than at a desktop or laptop.

Not in a hundred years. The circumstance you described is best suited for a mounted camera of some kind. The current frame rates for video chat is just barely usable for a fixed camera. Add any amount of motion to it (let alone, a lot) and you've destroyed any sort of usefulness.

Its a nice idea, but not feasible, or usable.

Your best option for realistic video chat is a bluetooth camera accessory that mounts on a desk or table near you. I'm sure they're coming, eventually, maybe even soon. Regardless, it's a far better option for anyone who wants video chat.

Wait until the first iPad case with built in WebCam and battery pack emerges. Its usefulness (or lack thereof) will prove itself.

(Save yourself any diatribe about this being a stand-alone device, as this absurd assertion suggests that no accessories should ever be made as all conceivable features should be built in.)
  • Reply 68 of 97
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

It's 256, not 512. How long before AI fixes this ridiculous mistake...doesn't anyone who write for this site have one? All you have to do is install Memory Info and bring it up to see what's available. I knew this thing has 256 mb at 930 yesterday morning.

That is what I found when I ran iStat. I have to say x-raying a chip to get internal part numbers is much cooler and sounds much more definitive, even if the end result is incorrect.

It's already been jailbroken so many more secrets will be opening up.
  • Reply 69 of 97
    rco3rco3 Posts: 76member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Not in a hundred years. The circumstance you described is best suited for a mounted camera of some kind. The current frame rates for video chat is just barely usable for a fixed camera. Add any amount of motion to it (let alone, a lot) and you've destroyed any sort of usefulness.

Its a nice idea, but not feasible, or usable.

Your best option for realistic video chat is a bluetooth camera accessory that mounts on a desk or table near you. I'm sure they're coming, eventually, maybe even soon. Regardless, it's a far better option for anyone who wants video chat.

Wait until the first iPad case with built in WebCam and battery pack emerges. Its usefulness (or lack thereof) will prove itself.

(Save yourself any diatribe about this being a stand-alone device, as this absurd assertion suggests that no accessories should ever be made as all conceivable features should be built in.)

BLUETOOTH? How the hell are you going to get video transfer rates across Bluetooth? I mean, you would have to compress the HELL out of it.

I find a plugged-into-the-dock-connector's-USB-bus camera FAR more likely.
  • Reply 70 of 97
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Quote:

...While it's not perfect, it would be a hell of a lot easier to get a kid to stay focused on an iPad video-chat than at a desktop or laptop...

wow. really?

either you're lazy or you have some lazy-ass kids?or, gee, maybe they're simply too young to be dealing with the technology.

seriously. if it's this difficult to control your kids, do us all a favor and think twice about having them.
  • Reply 71 of 97
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

512MB of RAM would have definitely provided breathing room.

That's really it. Jailbroken 3GS phones manage multi-tasking with 256MB and it seems ok but still, iPad apps are expected to be more fully featured eventually and even the 3GS does struggle to multi-task certain apps. Like drawing apps will suck up nearly all of the RAM and Safari is a major memory hog. You'd have to assume they must have tested it though or decided multi-tasking isn't the way to go. They can do what Windows Phone 7 will do, just hibernate background apps then kill them if the RAM is needed.

But you worded it right, more RAM just gives you breathing room so for example Brushes or Sketchbook for iPad wouldn't have to restrict you to 6 layers. You could go nuts and have full layer effects and be able to do all sorts of transforms.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

On another note, it's been confirmed that the iPad has the same PowerVR SGX535 as the iPhone 3GS. Given that the iPad has more than 5 times the pixels to draw and the iPad GPU is most likely not clocked 5 times higher, the iPhone 3GS does still have the most GPU power per pixel.

That's interesting, I expected a better GPU for the larger screen. The games seem to play ok, though NFS looked like it had a bit of jitter. The main issue with games is going to be the controls at first:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=654fMjzv52U

Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav

Now try to figure out how, with a physical format that is meant to be flexibly horizontal or vertical - depending on your immediate need or desire, to position a camera, angle it so that it can be used conveniently, configure your software to be able to hard-disable it for things like government and medical practice use (privacy/confidentially issues) and sell that as a feature.

Yeah the privacy issue could well be a strong factor in the camera removal. Even with schools these days - you never know who's watching. It's just a fun element though. If they can let you use a mobile phone camera as a webcam, over bluetooth or peripheral webcam as mentioned, it would solve the issue.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav

It would be like me saying "you "feature-fanatics" aren't satisified until it does everything except pick your nose and wipe your ass".

I won't be able to pick my nose with it but iPad is just asking for an ass-wiping. I'll use an in-store model.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mac_dog

either you're lazy or you have some lazy-ass kids—or, gee, maybe they're simply too young to be dealing with the technology.

seriously. if it's this difficult to control your kids, do us all a favor and think twice about having them.

Children can use computers from a very young age just fine and I don't think they have to be turned into lifeless drones before they are considered adequate to be allowed an existence. Children have short attention spans, it's just a fact of life.
  • Reply 72 of 97
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Headrush69 View Post

The problem isn't the tethering from the provider. I was sure I read an Apple source quoted as saying you WON'T be able to tether the iPad. It's either buy the WiFi+3G package initially or you're out of luck.

Found link: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...nd_iphone.html

yes. that is correct. you won't be able to plug your ipad into your iphone. i guess technically that should be doable via bluetooth, but the providers probably don't like that idea.

iirc at&t still doesn't offer tethering for the iphone, even though i believe one of the cell companies lets you turn a pre (?) into a wireless access point. maybe in the US the competition will make similar features more likely, but in canada we seem to be suffering from the collusion between rogers, telus, bell and the CRTC.

that's also why we're still stuck with 3 year contracts.
  • Reply 73 of 97
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

wow. really?

either you're lazy or you have some lazy-ass kids?or, gee, maybe they're simply too young to be dealing with the technology.

leave his kids out of this. seriously.
  • Reply 74 of 97
    lukeskymaclukeskymac Posts: 506member
    Wait a sec.

"X-raying" shows 512

Software shows 256.

Is it possible that the OS is purposely hiding away half the RAM so that it can be used on iPhone OS 4.0?
  • Reply 75 of 97
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:

I disagree, some families are separated by huge geographical distances these days and video conferencing allows grandparents to see and interact with their grandchildren and is one of the experiences they look forward to most in life. While it's not perfect, it would be a hell of a lot easier to get a kid to stay focused on an iPad video-chat than at a desktop or laptop. They could even allow the child to interact with apps while on video so they could play a piano or read a book or finger-paint a picture of their grandparents and email it. ?.....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin

...While it's not perfect, it would be a hell of a lot easier to get a kid to stay focused on an iPad video-chat than at a desktop or laptop...

wow. really?

I think that your comments were out of line because you took Marvin's comments out of context. Also please keep rude comments out of this forum?especially when you are talking about someone else's kids. If you had any children of your own, you know that at a certain age, it is hard to keep the children's attention focused for any length of time.

I agree with:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

leave his kids out of this. seriously.

• Reply 76 of 97
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Update: On further investigation, iFixit has determined the A4 contains "128MB of memory per die, for 256 MB total. (NOT 512MB, as we previously reported.)". Tests performed by software developers confirm this finding.

This does not bode well for multitasking. A Quarter-Gig? Will you be able to process/manipulate photos or videos while doing other things in the background?

Netbooks routinely have slots for two gigs, or eight TIMES this amount of RAM. Why so little RAM?
  • Reply 77 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neilw View Post

Interesting about the 512 MB RAM; other sites are reporting (via benchmarking and such) that it only has 256 MB. Though 512 MB sounds more reasonable to me...

256 sounds VERY low in this day and age. RAM is cheap. And necessary for multitasking.
  • Reply 78 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Thanks for the RAM information. I wish it had at last 1GB, thus being prepared for future multitasking via firmware update.

Nope. Just one-quarter of that.

I don't get it.
  • Reply 79 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

I totally agree. I used the video camera on my MBP for maybe a couple of months of goofing around (literally "look mom, we can see each other over the Internet! It's like Star Trek!", and then it just became tedious.

When I bought my son a netbook, his first question was "Does it have a netcam?" He uses it constantly. All his friends do too.
  • Reply 80 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by veblen View Post

I agree as well. I have no desire at all to web conference from my iPad. The viewing angle would make it look odd.

But the angle is all wrong for typing too, and is all wrong for viewing unless it is propped up.

If folks are willing to buy special typing props and viewing props, why not speacial props for video conferenceing? You'd want two hands free, and you wouldn't want to shake the camera.

The viewing angle objection doesn't make any sense to me.