WSJ: After strong initial demand, some lines for Apple iPad 'thin'

Comments

• Reply 141 of 203
    Hmm... I like it.

Downloaded a bunch of books already (yes, free ones) ... .also a couple in pdf form I already had. Now I'm ready for the 8-hour flight back to the mainland tonight .... So much nicer than the phone for reading, and so far, I'm convinced it will replace my PowerBook for on-the-road use.

So far I haven't missed the camera or Flash! . Though it WOULD be nice if it could make tea!
  • Reply 142 of 203
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Moloch View Post

There are three reasons for the thinning lines
    1. preorders

2. the Recession, which is going to get worse

3. the fact that many are holding back waiting for the Macbook Pros

i think the fact that it doesn't need to be activated in store probably helped moving people too.
  • Reply 143 of 203
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You can always just leave..... (you obviously haven't bothered to get much of a sense of this Forum before you signed up).

Is this what one should expect on this forum?
  • Reply 144 of 203
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Quote:

These sort of off-topic posts about a particular member, and what is wrong with him, BY A MODERATOR, make me sorry I signed up for this forum.

Please stick with AI, there are good threads and bad threads, just depends whether we stay on topic. If you stick with us you will find that there are certain trolls and the like that make it their calling to disrupt a forum's topic.

If you have read past threads in this forum, you'll understand that many of us at AI are upset with trolls or interlopers that come here only to place negative comments to disrupt our forum. We welcome diverse viewpoints, but you need to remain on topic and if your views are contra or negative to most of the comments on the topic, we only ask that the negative viewpoints are constructive and are backed up by by cites, links or list of sources. Too often our threads are ruined by comments that are off topic and are meant only to disrupt the forum.
  • Reply 145 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Though it WOULD be nice if it could make tea!

I'm sure there is an app for that, or in time there will be one
  • Reply 146 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Possibly. I'm not saying everyone will want an iPad, especially if you're a laptop owner who takes it almost everywhere anyway. Most of my "heavy" work is done on my iMac and my PowerBook is over five years old, ready for retirement. I think the iPad will be a very good replacement for the PowerBook on the road, and it will get a lot of use on the sofa at home. YMMV.

I agree with you Doc. (if I may call you Doc.), I use my MBP as my all in one computer. Like the iPad but will wait for now.

One of the problems with acronyms is that they can often can have several meanings:

YMMV= \t

YMMV\tYour Mileage May Vary\t

***\tYMMV\tYam Mild Mosaic Virus (virology)\t

*\tYMMV\tYour Method May Vary\t

*\tYMMV\tYour Market May Vary (advertisements)\t

• Reply 147 of 203
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

I agree with you Doc. (if I may call you Doc.), I use my MBP as my all in one computer. Like the iPad but will wait for now.

One of the problems with acronyms is that they can often can have several meanings:

YMMV= \t

YMMV\tYour Mileage May Vary\t

***\tYMMV\tYam Mild Mosaic Virus (virology)\t

*\tYMMV\tYour Method May Vary\t

*\tYMMV\tYour Market May Vary (advertisements)\t

Your Mind Might Vaporize.

• Reply 148 of 203
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

But I cannot imagine how I'm going to stand this device up on the coffee table and effectively type on the screen.

The Apple case will stand it up vertically - it also props it up at a very convenient angle for typing.

This post also typed on my iPad
  • Reply 149 of 203
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Yesterday My Monkey Vanished!
  • Reply 150 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DAMjim View Post

Why did you do this? There are 7 Best Buys and 3 Apple stores in the Vegas area.

My parents were at the town center location to pick up my fathers iPad - they were in and out in 20 minutes around 10AM. They went in "early" because my dad wanted to be able to get home to watch the final four. They said the store was very busy but well organized.

I was at the Fair Lakes store in Virginia around 10AM as well, and there was a long line of non-reservation holders (about 40) and about 15 in the reservation line. I was in line for about 15 minutes - upgraded from my 16GB pre-order to 32GB (they were out of the 64GB already) and was out in less than 10 minutes once in the store.

So if you are trying to gauge sales by what you saw in a narrow slice of time, you are going to be way off. They were churning through the people...
  • Reply 151 of 203
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Note: I don't go around showing my support for a device/technology solely by cutting and pasting a bunch of company talking points from Apple KeyNote speeches/web material, I actually purchase/experience said item for myself, and go from there.

CRAP!

You are the guy that was wetting his panties over a frigin' CONCEPT VIDEO!

Microsoft Courier

How many have you purchased -
  • Reply 152 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Your Mind Might Vaporize.

You got me on that one, Doc.
  • Reply 153 of 203
    I am waiting on the 3G + WiFi model. The 3G + WiFi model fits more of my daily needs. I like the fact that I can use the 3G service during the day and use the WiFi service when I am at home. I think a lot of people are still waiting on the 3G model. I cannot wait until Apple releases the launch date so I can decide whether I want to pre-order it or just go to the store and get one.
  • Reply 154 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

A number of criticisms here are often not well thought out, and seem to be made just for the purpose of making them, often by the very same people who are always criticizing Apple's products, services, or the company itself. It's easy to tell who is serious, and who is just trying to be annoying.

Oh if only that were true. If it were, one would hope there would be allot fewer responses (and wholesale quoting) of the obvious trolls.
  • Reply 155 of 203
    Quote:

These sort of off-topic posts about a particular member, and what is wrong with him, BY A MODERATOR, make me sorry I signed up for this forum.

And yet you keep coming back - or at least one more time to do the very thing you are complaining about. Oh the irony...
  • Reply 156 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Katonah View Post

Also if you prefer typing while the ipad is standing vertically, you are better off with the stand that has a keyboard.

Of the accessories this one puzzles me the most. Why a dock with a keyboard fused to it is appealing doesn't make sense. I would rather have a Bluetooth keyboard and the regular dock so I can move the keyboard around independently from the iPad. It will be interesting to see how popular the keyboard dock is.
  • Reply 157 of 203
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) For a standard, formulaic sitcom I find The Big Bang Theory to be hilarious.

2) I've never been a fan of comic books (nothing against them, just never into them) but yesterday I read the 6 free and bought the 2 iron Man comics on the Marvel app.

3) My only wish is that Apple designed an open multimedia book format that can do everything they are doing now in the magazine and comic book apps, but through a centralized store. Maybe next year.

I love the show. I don't read them myself, but my daughter and her friends are ore involved than I would prefer. i spend time making props such as swords, shields and such to go with the costumes they make for the 'cons.
  • Reply 158 of 203
    Quote:

No. we don't really want people to leave, if possible. We just would like them to not attempt to make statements that are intended to rile people up.
  • Reply 159 of 203
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Of the accessories this one puzzles me the most. Why a dock with a keyboard fused to it is appealing doesn't make sense. I would rather have a Bluetooth keyboard and the regular dock so I can move the keyboard around independently from the iPad. It will be interesting to see how popular the keyboard dock is.

A situation made even more frustrating given that I've tried to sync 6 different bluetooth mice to the iPad (including my Apple Magic Mouse), and it refuses to recognize any of them.

So when docked in the keyboard stand, it appears that you'll have to constantly go back and forth between typing on the keyboard and operating the device via touch-screen input.

There surely must be a better solution than this...
  • Reply 160 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Oh if only that were true. If it were, one would hope there would be allot fewer responses (and wholesale quoting) of the obvious trolls.

Sometimes, its just hard to resist.