Which combo of products should I buy?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I need a new msc has I have sold my old MacBook to my girlfriend. I am debating between to sets of hardware.

Set #1

27" i7 2.8ghz iMac and a 16gb iPad.

Set #2

13" MacBook pro (when new ones come out) and a 24" led apple display and a 16gb iPad.

So which one do you guys think I should get? Let me know your opinons.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    dayrobotdayrobot Posts: 133member
    Depends on your requirements....

It really depends on what you use them for.

If you travel, the 2nd setup may be better. If you use Macs mainly for entertainment, the the 1st. But i'm being too obvious here. You know better what fits your needs best.

If you need to type a lot on the go, or answer emails from the couch, please familiarize yourself with iPad's soft keyboard... it may be good enough, or it may be not. I touch type, so..

I own a Netbook!
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I'd choose #2 and an Apple BlueTooth Keyboard and Magic Mouse, which will let you use your MacBook pro connected to your LCD TV in your living room, as well as using it for the iPad.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skives View Post

I need a new msc has I have sold my old MacBook to my girlfriend. I am debating between to sets of hardware.

Set #1

27" i7 2.8ghz iMac and a 16gb iPad.

Set #2

13" MacBook pro (when new ones come out) and a 24" led apple display and a 16gb iPad.

So which one do you guys think I should get? Let me know your opinions.

You have the iPad in both, so we eliminate that, you want a iPad so your going to get one regardless.

Now you got a choice between a 27" iMac and a 13" MBP with a 24" monitor.

Think about these things:

1: Do you type a lot when your mobile and do you want to reinforce the touch typist behavior? >MPB

2: Do you spend most of your computer time at a desk >iMac or a anywhere else? >MBP

3: Do you plan on a lot of additions to your computer, like hard drives, BlueRay, hubs, etc. >iMac.

4: Why do you need a large monitor? Plan on watching content on it? >iMac

Think about the 15" MacBook Pro if your mobile, it's the ideal size, the 13" is too small and the 17" is too big. Also consider getting the anti-glare version, it's ideal to take just about anywhere.

If your a big content watcher at home, then the iMac as it's a lot more capable and you can add external hard drives etc. to handle all the files.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I'd choose #2 and an Apple BlueTooth Keyboard and Magic Mouse, which will let you use your MacBook pro connected to your LCD TV in your living room, as well as using it for the iPad.

You also get two more gadgets that need to be kept charged all the time...
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

You also get two more gadgets that need to be kept charged all the time...

Not really. Since they use common AA batteries, and the batteries last for a few months, even with heavy use, it's really not an issue. Just keep a couple spare pair of AAs handy, as everybody in the world probably does these days.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    dayrobotdayrobot Posts: 133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Not really. Since they use common AA batteries, and the batteries last for a few months, even with heavy use, it's really not an issue. Just keep a couple spare pair of AAs handy, as everybody in the world probably does these days.

I use Eneloop rechargeable AA's in my stuff...

http://www.eneloop.info/

They last a whole lot longer than the single-use alkalines. Really, check them out!

Dan