Apple to introduce iPhone OS 4.0 on April 8

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple on Monday announced that it will formally introduce the next version of its mobile operating system, iPhone OS 4.0, at a special event scheduled for this week, April 8.

Apple sent out invitations on Monday for the event, scheduled for 10 a.m. Pacific, offering a "sneak peek of the next generation of iPhone software," according to Engadget. The event will be held at the company's Cupertino, Calif., campus.

Apple is expected to release iPhone OS 4.0, along with a new version of its iPhone, this summer at the Worldwide Developers Conference.

In March AppleInsider reported that Apple plans to add full multitasking support in the forthcoming release of the 4.0 software update. Sources said that the company has developed a "full-on solution" to allow multitasking of third-party applications on the App Store.

The existing iPhone 3.x software is a fully preemptive multitasking operating system, but it only allows Apple-developed applications to run in the background.

Released on Saturday, the iPad runs a new version of the iPhone OS, version 3.2, that is only compatible with the new device. In February, Apple released iPhone OS 3.1.3 with a battery reporting fix.

iPhone OS 2.0 granted the iPhone the ability to run third-party applications natively with the App Store. It was released in 2008, and in less than two years has resulted in 150,000 applications created for the platform.

In 2009, Apple released iPhone OS 3.0 adding cut, copy and paste, MMS, voice memos, and Spotlight search.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 238
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Don't know why they didn't release it on same date as iPad???
  • Reply 2 of 238
    Holy shit! That's in 3 days!!

I love it, let it be good with new iPad features too!
  • Reply 3 of 238
    As a developer I am excited yet as a consumer I am pissed because I just bought an iPad Saturday and now will have to pay (if I read the Appleinsider Article correctly) to upgrade it to 4.0 (well obviously not the beta's since I am an AD).

Edit: take that back "For example, if your iPad originally shipped with iPad 3.x software, Apple would provide you with any iPad OS software updates it might release up to and including the iPad 4.x software release. Such updates and releases may not necessarily include all of the new software features that Apple releases for newer iPad models."

So they knew 4.0 would be that close to releasing the iPad, maybe that's why I'm having a few issues with mine, such as the Wifi dropping
  • Reply 4 of 238
    stonefreestonefree Posts: 242member
    Sweet! Bring on multitasking!
  • Reply 5 of 238
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Multitasking and 5M camera please!
  • Reply 6 of 238
    originalgoriginalg Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O4BlackWRX View Post

As a developer I am excited yet as a consumer I am pissed because I just bought an iPad Saturday and now will have to pay (if I read the Appleinsider Article correctly) to upgrade it to 4.0 (well obviously not the beta's since I am an AD).

The agreement says they'll give you the next major update free as well, meaning you won't have to pay for 4.0 and all of its updates.

The meeting is scheduled for 10am PST according to gizmodo.
  • Reply 7 of 238
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Why bury one message underneath a completely different one?

C.
  • Reply 8 of 238
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:

Not ready yet.

It will get released with the next iPhone in late June I would expect then be available to iPad users the same day as the phone comes out.

Will give developers a solid 3 months or so to work on it.
  • Reply 9 of 238
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    I wonder if Apple will release iPhone OS 4.0 for the iPad and iPhone/iPod touch at the same time? It seems that it would make sense to align the releases from here on out.
  • Reply 10 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O4BlackWRX View Post

No I don't think you read that correctly. iPads are eligible for a free upgrade to the next MAJOR version of the OS. So you bought 3.2 iPad, you'll be able to upgrade to 4.x for free. If you were to buy a 4.0 iPad in a few months you'd get 5.x for free. Etc.

Not sure if they only did this because 4.0 was right around the corner or if this will be the rule going forward.
  • Reply 11 of 238
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

I don't believe an operating system can upgrade your hardware.

C.
  • Reply 12 of 238
    stevejrstevejr Posts: 11member
    i think this is bigger news than many expect. this should given them a bit of breathing room ahead of android.
  • Reply 13 of 238
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:

Apple is testing out how many people will say "how high" when they say jump.

(I'm assuming by "it" that you meant the invitation, and not the actual iPhone OS 4.0 software.)
  • Reply 14 of 238
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

I don't believe an operating system can upgrade your hardware.

C.

It's my wish for my next phone.
  • Reply 15 of 238
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

This event is only for the software, so if there is to be a 5M camera in the next iPhone, it won't be announced.
  • Reply 16 of 238
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    For those wondering about the timing, note that this is an OS preview. It's not necessarily an OS release.

There is nothing yet to suggest that the software is ready for deployment.
  • Reply 17 of 238
    Wasn't expecting it so quickly but that's awesome can't waitttt
  • Reply 18 of 238
    Uh-oh.

A seriously tough month on my wallet. \
  • Reply 19 of 238
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    So are the rumors saying the UI will be new looking, or will the changes just effect things going on "behind the scenes"?
  • Reply 20 of 238
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    So, I assume that having put up with incredibly dull discussions about why iPhone is crap because it doesn't have multi-tasking, we'll now no doubt have incredibly dull discussions about why they implemented it incorrectly. Or it hurts the battery life. Or it still fails to get you a girlfriend whilst you bang on about multi-tasking!