Apple to introduce iPhone OS 4.0 on April 8

Comments

• Reply 21 of 238
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Let's see how much they change the iPhone interface, if at all. I don't need multitasking for my daily tasks, but I am curious how they implement it.
  • Reply 22 of 238
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    this is a very smart marketing strategy. everyone is talking iPad. stocks are on the rise. monday, Steve Jobs can go up on stage and say, "no need for android, OS 4 can multitask now". and stock will continue to rise.
  • Reply 23 of 238
    supaflysupafly Posts: 15member
    Mothereffin Yeah!
  • Reply 24 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

For those wondering about the timing, note that this is an OS preview. It's not necessarily an OS release.

There is nothing yet to suggest that the software is ready for deployment.

That's their usual way to do (or has been so far) so I'd say it's pretty obvious, but I'm ready to crave for it, as long as I know there's anything to wait for
  • Reply 25 of 238
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    I hope OS 4 will have a new version of the YouTube app that will allow downloading of YT videos to iPhone/iPad. This together with multi-tasking would kill my reasons for jailbreaking.

OT: Could we please have both read & write/drag & drop for the iDisk app. It IS a native Apple application after all.
  • Reply 26 of 238
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

So are the rumors saying the UI will be new looking, or will the changes just effect things going on "behind the scenes"?

Rumors say little. But I’m prepared for a bit of a jarring change. I’m really comfortable with the iPhone UI as is, but shaking things up to improve things like icon management would be welcome.

I think the basic first-glance impression of the home screen will likely stay similar, and all the multitouch controls (switched, pinch zoom, tab-bars of icons) that we’re used to in apps will remain. Ditto for the basic color scheme (grays and blues or blacks). But around that I expect some nice advancements!

Background audio (in AND out) is the only kind of multitasking I want that the iPhone doesn’t already have.
  • Reply 27 of 238
    Bad poster design, it looks like a cross tombstone
  • Reply 28 of 238
    kenckenc Posts: 195member
    So, this is a preview release with official launch in Summer, as usual.

Apple usually doesn't schedule this sort of thing so close to another major event, like the iPad launch, so they really must have been planning for the end of March, giving about two weeks between events.
  • Reply 29 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Don't know why they didn't release it on same date as iPad???

Don't change everything at once!

The staggered release allowed multiple, independent development/use activities:

-- current iPhone iPod Touch user install base: iPhone OS 2.x and 3.1x

-- current iPhone iPod Touch Development: iPhone 3.1x

-- iPad Developer 3.2 Beta

-- iPad debut iPhone: OS 3.2

-- developer version of iPhone OS 4.0 Beta for all applicable existing devices

-- release version of iPhone OS 4.0 for all applicable existing devices (may be staggered)

This way Apple, the developers, and the end users can all "do their own thing(s)" without affecting the others

• Reply 30 of 238
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Multitasking with 3rd party apps, augmented reality API fully supported, and iChat for the iPhone (front-facing camera) are my wants.
  • Reply 31 of 238
    stevetimstevetim Posts: 482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Don't know why they didn't release it on same date as iPad???

If like last year, OS won't be available until June.
  • Reply 32 of 238
    yebotyebot Posts: 10member
    I'd like to see a new home screen option that lists all your installed apps in a flickable list. The list should be sortable
    • alphabetically,

• by category or

• by most-commonly-used.

• Reply 33 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Don't change everything at once!

The staggered release allowed multiple, independent development/use activities:

-- current iPhone iPod Touch user install base: iPhone OS 2.x and 3.1x

-- current iPhone iPod Touch Development: iPhone 3.1x

-- iPad Developer 3.2 Beta

-- iPad debut iPhone: OS 3.2

-- developer version of iPhone OS 4.0 Beta for all applicable existing devices

-- release version of iPhone OS 4.0 for all applicable existing devices (may be staggered)

This way Apple, the developers, and the end users can all "do their own thing(s)" without affecting the others

Agreed, this was confusing .. Good news as of yesterday is no beta and only 3.2 SDK.

We will need to also download 4.0 SDK probably sometime in June or July.
  • Reply 34 of 238
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    I'm looking forward to it, really excited to see what Apple might show.

Too bad, I might miss the event as I'm flying to Japan on that day
  • Reply 35 of 238
    This is welcome, but not unexpected. The last two OS previews were held on March 6th and 17th respectively, so Apple is running behind schedule, but it's no mystery as to why. But it's a good sign this is happening so quickly. If the new iPhone hardware comes out in it's usual timeframe, developers have 4 months instead of 5 to recode and rebuild for the new OS.

Very exciting.
  • Reply 36 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I wonder if Apple will release iPhone OS 4.0 for the iPad and iPhone/iPod touch at the same time? It seems that it would make sense to align the releases from here on out.

I believe they will as the iPad uses iPhone OS. It's not a special iPad OS.
  • Reply 37 of 238
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by powerhub View Post

Bad poster design, it looks like a cross tombstone

Yep.

Android's tombstone.
  • Reply 38 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

So, I assume that having put up with incredibly dull discussions about why iPhone is crap because it doesn't have multi-tasking, we'll now no doubt have incredibly dull discussions about why they implemented it incorrectly. Or it hurts the battery life. Or it still fails to get you a girlfriend whilst you bang on about multi-tasking!

Sad, but you're probably absolutely right. Unless Apple sticks to its guns and gives us no MultiTasking then we'll stay right where we are until OS 5 ... \
  • Reply 39 of 238
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Hopefully OS 4.0 is based on a fast chip like the IPAD

Talk is out that IPHONE 4.0 will be out before WWDC. Could make sense, since this year WWDC is already 2 weeks late and if APPLE wants to see new IPHONE sales in it's second quarter earnings it would have to be available in store by mid june. Keep in mind that IPHONE sales drop considerably in anticipation of the new model.
  • Reply 40 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

So, I assume that having put up with incredibly dull discussions about why iPhone is crap because it doesn't have multi-tasking, we'll now no doubt have incredibly dull discussions about why they implemented it incorrectly. Or it hurts the battery life. Or it still fails to get you a girlfriend whilst you bang on about multi-tasking!

I agree with this, but there is a secret out there that nobody talks about.

1. There is currently no REAL multi-tasking smart phones (ask someone who has an android to load two good apps and you will probably see the memory crash.

2. There is currently no REAL flash on smart phones. (ask someone with android to go to hulu and they will tell you it does not yet work.