Apple to introduce iPhone OS 4.0 on April 8

Comments

• Reply 41 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Let's see how much they change the iPhone interface, if at all. I don't need multitasking for my daily tasks, but I am curious how they implement it.

Mmmm... Maybe they will use something that is curiously absent from the iPad... CoverFlow.

Though, after using the iPad for less than a day, most user's multitasking requirements for [third-party] apps... would, likely, be satisfied by:

-- state saving

-- task switching

-- fast [previously-running] app reload

-- inter-app communication/invocation

From a UI standpoint:

1) Do something

2) Do something else (start or invoke another app)

3) easily switch back to 1)

So, Apple could introduce a structure for multitasking and provide APIs to assist implementation with a standard UI (with complexity hidden from the user).

• Reply 42 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Multitasking and 5M camera please!

Please explain how to do a 5MP camera upgrade via software. Didn't something inside scream not to hit the "Submit Reply" key before thinking this out?
  • Reply 43 of 238
    swingeswinge Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yebot View Post

I'd like to see a new home screen option that lists all your installed apps in a flickable list. The list should be sortable
    • alphabetically,

• by category or

• by most-commonly-used.

Great idea! That would be really handy... A multi-tasking solution is vital... It would be nice to have something like the idea above, or some way to customize the desktop intead of just a mess of your apps (a good idea that came out of Android phones) ....Personally, using my phone for work, I've never been comfortable with Jailbreaking...After 3 years, I'd love a few more bells and whistles...Just being able to have a background image (like the iPad has)....A smarter, more customizable lockscreen... Ahhh...I could spend all day dreaming up a wish list!!

I hope Apple takes a bold step forwards with this update...iPhone 3 was all the practical, needed updates like cut/copy/paste, search, mms...here's hoping iPhone 4 includes some cool/fun stuff too...
  • Reply 44 of 238
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    1) Assuming the site below is correct there are 160K active App Store apps in the US.
    2) I don't think Apple will add full-preemptice multitasking like WebOS and Android offer. I think it will be a multitasking API that devs can utilize and then users can enable.

3) A notification system that bests WebOS' notification system is what I'm hoping for.

4) I have to wonder what will happen with the iPad OS. I'm hoping they do an official branching off and call it iPad OS as it significantly different than the iPhone and Touch builds. I also hope that the iPad and other devices all get the update on the same day this summer.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Don't know why they didn't release it on same date as iPad???

Besides what others stated and a bit off topic, I'm glad Apple is staggering their releases. The iPhone 3G + iPhone OS v2.0 + MobileMe release all at the same time was a problem. I think they may have learned their lesson there.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

Wasn't expecting it so quickly but that's awesome can't waitttt

This is behind the typical time, which was mid-March the two previous years. Plus, many thought it would come in January, earlier than before, because Android was moving so rapidly.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

So are the rumors saying the UI will be new looking, or will the changes just effect things going on "behind the scenes"?

I hope they give it a new look. I suspect that if they use a lot of blacks in the v4.0 UI, like the Zune, that we can then expect an OLED display on the next iPhone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

I hope OS 4 will have a new version of the YouTube app that will allow downloading of YT videos to iPhone/iPad.

Is something YouTube typically lets you do? If not, why would you expect Apple partnering with Google to allow this?
  • Reply 45 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

I agree with this, but there is a secret out there that nobody talks about.

1. There is currently no REAL multi-tasking smart phones (ask someone who has an android to load two good apps and you will probably see the memory crash.

2. There is currently no REAL flash on smart phones. (ask someone with android to go to hulu and they will tell you it does not yet work.

Ever hear of Nokia or Sony Ericsson? You are wrong on one and two. Please do some research before posting again.
  • Reply 46 of 238
    skivesskives Posts: 50member
    Anyone think they show off new MacBook Pros at this event or make mention of them?
  • Reply 47 of 238
    tkwleetkwlee Posts: 12member
    Is it possible that Iphone OS 4.0 are available to the future iphone only?!
  • Reply 48 of 238
    Looking forward to seeing their ideas. People think they will announce iPad international launch dates/pricing at the same time?
  • Reply 49 of 238
    swingeswinge Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tkwlee View Post

Apple supports free upgrades for the first two years so you should be fine unless you own the original iPhone...
  • Reply 50 of 238
    salmonstksalmonstk Posts: 568member
    Whats also really exciting is that this means that WWDC 2010 will probably be devoted to showing of the next version of MAC OS X. Love my iPhone and want an iPad but I have 5 Macs that are itching for some new features....
  • Reply 51 of 238
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Please explain how to do a 5MP camera upgrade via software. Didn't something inside scream not to hit the "Submit Reply" key before thinking this out?

Calm down. What iPhone OS will be used with? Oh,... an iPhone.
  • Reply 52 of 238
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O4BlackWRX View Post

As a developer I am excited yet as a consumer I am pissed because I just bought an iPad Saturday and now will have to pay (if I read the Appleinsider Article correctly) to upgrade it to 4.0 (well obviously not the beta's since I am an AD).

Edit: take that back "For example, if your iPad originally shipped with iPad 3.x software, Apple would provide you with any iPad OS software updates it might release up to and including the iPad 4.x software release. Such updates and releases may not necessarily include all of the new software features that Apple releases for newer iPad models."

So they knew 4.0 would be that close to releasing the iPad, maybe that's why I'm having a few issues with mine, such as the Wifi dropping

One word... quitcherbitchin.
  • Reply 53 of 238
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

This event is only for the software, so if there is to be a 5M camera in the next iPhone, it won't be announced.

What is a "5M" camera? Do you mean a 5MP camera?
  • Reply 54 of 238
    tkwleetkwlee Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swinge View Post

Apple supports free upgrades for the first two years so you should be fine unless you own the original iPhone...

But I wonder if 3gs' hardware can support a major upgrade in OS or not... also the battery life...

Anyway, apart from multi-task, I hope weather and perhaps breaking news information can be shown on the UI, just like other smartphones...
  • Reply 55 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skives View Post

Anyone think they show off new MacBook Pros at this event or make mention of them?

Based on history, I'd doubt it. The two previous events were stats, SDK and iPhone OS and demos all relating to the iPhone for about an hour and a half.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tkwlee View Post

That is something to discuss. Are they going to push the original iPhone out or make a rich update for its 4th year of use? If they push the original iPhone would they push out the 3G since it uses the same basic HW and eliminating these would mean being able to focus on ARMv7 with 256MB+ RAM instead of ARMv6 with 128MB RAM?
  • Reply 56 of 238
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KenC View Post

So, this is a preview release with official launch in Summer, as usual.

Apple usually doesn't schedule this sort of thing so close to another major event, like the iPad launch, so they really must have been planning for the end of March, giving about two weeks between events.

I find it odd (and even a little concerning) that they scheduled / announced this with so little advanced notice. Seems they usually announce things like this weeks in advance.
  • Reply 57 of 238
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Don't know why they didn't release it on same date as iPad???

Simple. The software is not done yet. They are announcing iPhone 4.0, but it won't be released until Summer 2010. The article is not well written.
  • Reply 58 of 238
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bklynkid View Post

Holy shit! That's in 3 days!!

I love it, let it be good with new iPad features too!

The announcement is in 3 days. The release is Summer 2010.
  • Reply 59 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swinge View Post

That sounds like a reasonable timeframe for a phone but has Apple ever stated that anywhere? The original iPhone has now had updates for 3 years.
  • Reply 60 of 238
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Assuming the site below is correct there are 160K active App Store apps in the US.

Seems like the number of apps has slowed considerably recently. For a while, the amount was doubling geometically. Perhaps Apple's purge of the thousands of crap apps has reset things a bit.