Apple to introduce iPhone OS 4.0 on April 8

Comments

• Reply 101 of 238
    addicted44addicted44 Posts: 830member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swinge View Post

That's a pretty big assumption...what are you basing that on?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

i can understand it's hard to make a GSM/CDMA all in one phone.

what is the technical challenge in making separate phones for AT&T and T-Mo? Even the Nexus One has different models that won't work on 3G frequencies of both GSM carriers

They will need to install a different radio chip for TMobile, but not many other changes (TMobile uses the same GSM tech, but at a different frequency).

I think the "technical challenges" are way overrated. It involves changing one aspect of the network stack, and the critical part (i.e. the software) is unlikely to require too many changes, since its using TCP/IP anyways, and nothing that is based on GSM (although, its possible that some of the S/W optimizations that they apparently worked with ATT for might need to be adjusted).

But even if it did cost them the same as it would for them to develop a new iphone from scratch, don't you think they would find it to be worth it to more than double their US marketshare? Currently, the US carrier marketshare is Verizon, ATT, Sprint, TMobile. This will also open them up to more networks in Canada, and Asia (Europe is almost all GSM)
  • Reply 102 of 238
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

i can understand it's hard to make a GSM/CDMA all in one phone.

what is the technical challenge in making separate phones for AT&T and T-Mo? Even the Nexus One has different models that won't work on 3G frequencies of both GSM carriers

The world-mode phones aren't ideal for many reasons. Even the Storm's world-mode offering for Verizon is conveniently absent of the GSM bands for AT&T and T-Mobile USA.

Apple could add the T-Mobile USA band to the iPhone with ease. The Infineon chips allow for more bands than the 3 they current use.
    I'm leaning toward the next iPhone not working on T-Mobile USA since the iPad could have easily added the 4th band, it is unlocked after all, but according to the FCC images it only has the typical three bands already used.
  • Reply 103 of 238
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In 2009, Apple released iPhone OS 3.0 adding cut, copy and paste, MMS, voice memos, and Spotlight search.

And tethering. Don't forget that. It's still there even if AT&T hasn't enabled yet
  • Reply 104 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pik80 View Post

The biggest let down of buying an iPod Touch last year was realizing that it won't sync with 3rd party apps any other way than over WiFi. Many businesses don't use WiFi for security reasons which means I can't sync half my apps (Things, Bento, etc.)

With the iPad you can now sync files via iTunes over USB, so who knows. And for all they force wireless syncing for, it still burns me I can't sync with iTunes over wifi
  • Reply 105 of 238
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

They will need to install a different radio chip for TMobile, but not many other changes (TMobile uses the same GSM tech, but at a different frequency).

I think the "technical challenges" are way overrated. It involves changing one aspect of the network stack, and the critical part (i.e. the software) is unlikely to require too many changes, since its using TCP/IP anyways, and nothing that is based on GSM (although, its possible that some of the S/W optimizations that they apparently worked with ATT for might need to be adjusted).

But even if it did cost them the same as it would for them to develop a new iphone from scratch, don't you think they would find it to be worth it to more than double their US marketshare? Currently, the US carrier marketshare is Verizon, ATT, Sprint, TMobile. This will also open them up to more networks in Canada, and Asia (Europe is almost all GSM)

they don't have radio chips that work on all frequencies? i always thought it was the carriers that made the manufacturers lock down the baseband so even if someone unlocks the phone they are limited to how it's used
  • Reply 106 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Did I miss anything?

Looks like a good list. Add Wifi sync for music, podcasts, etc. with iTunes.

Edit: oh yeah - they desperately need something for app management. There needs to be a clear indication if an app is an iPod, iPhone or both and it needs to be at the system level. Especially in iTunes - it's a royal pita to manage an iPhone and iPad out of one iTunes. Even something as simple as a setting to load only the more relevant app if you have both in your library. Have developers put something in the meta data for their apps to help itunes sort this stuff out!

I would also like to see them bring inkwell/handwriting recognition to the iPad. I still have a newton and once trained it can read scrawls I can't I do miss it. I also miss the newton drawing program that could optionally straighten squares you drew, make circles round, triangles with straight lines, etc. It was very handy for creating neat looking quick sketches. If someone knows of such an iPhone or iPad app I would appreciate a shout out!
  • Reply 107 of 238
    tkwleetkwlee Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

That "old tired 2007 look and feel" works and works well. Simply changing it for the sake of change is a recipe for failure. Apple put a huge amount of effort into designing a functional and usable OS. I personally love it as do the many friends that own one.

Comments like that simply enforce the techie stereotype. You'll just end up ooohing and aaahing the eye candy for five minutes until you get bored and want the next "fix".

I'll take simple and efficient anytime with controlled updates to make it even better. You want a visual mess with endless configurations and visual stimuli to soothe most folks with too much time on their hands?? Android may be better for you then.

It's fine the way it is.

But it will be great if weather information and warnings can be shown on the UI, at least the first page.
  • Reply 108 of 238
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

Did I miss anything?

Good list. I'd add: even better battery life, some type of innovative folder management system for apps (rather than multiple screens), back to an aluminum screen (if they've got better at it).

Definitely enabling use in disk mode (perhaps that's what you meant by your last one).
  • Reply 109 of 238
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    A few things I'm hoping to see:

* Major revamp of Maps.app with turn-by-turn directions.

* Ability to delete Apple apps like Photos, Voice Memos, YouTube, Stocks, etc.

* Updated Weather app badge that shows current weather.

* Podcast syncing/updating over WiFi.

* iTunes syncing/updating over WiFi -- especially playlists. (I think this will happen -- at the earliest -- when the next, Lala-revamped version of iTunes comes out later this year.)

* Books.app on the iPhone. (Doubtful, but I'd like to see it. Would be a good advertisement for iPad -- if only the book were bigger....)

* Ability to reply to a text message in Messages.app without closing the current app.

* Ability of Camera.app to shoot video on the 3G. (If $1.99 third-party apps can do it, Apple can do it.)
  • Reply 110 of 238
    Quote:

what is the technical challenge in making separate phones for AT&T and T-Mo?

None, obviously. So therefore it must be something other than a technical issue - like say a business one?

If I had to guess (and it's not much of a guess based on their statements and past actions) Verizon was or is trying to exercise more control than Apple is willing to cede. The problem for Verizon is, as time goes on and AT&T improves thier network and apple releases more cool toys their position gets weaker and weaker.

Yeah, Apple could sell more phones on Verizon, but they aren't going to until it makes business sense. Obviously it doesn't make enough business sense for Apple or they would be doing it already.

And before anyone starts Monday morning quarterbacking - until you can show me executive experience in a company of similar success as Apple, you'll have to pardon me if I trust their judgement over yours.
  • Reply 111 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

so they can bilk an extra $10 out of the early adopters for the update...SUCKERS HAHA

Free update to 4 for iPad owners

But thank you for playing.
  • Reply 112 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Alternatively, the short time may be explained...

...by any one of a countless number of reasons that we may never know. And in the end it doesn't matter anyway...
  • Reply 113 of 238
    Quote:

Things I?d like to see...
    • Gaming API that allows for touch controls on screen that can be instantly linked to a HW D-pad accessory. Making it easy for developers to make this virtual to physical connection via the 30-pin connector without having to build for a specific HW vendor making the D-Pad. This would open up the gaming accessory market by standardizing the developers efforts while making it simple to do. It would also help bring more and better games to the platform and hardcore mobile gamers wouldn?t feel be afraid that they?d have to buy multiple HW D-pads for different game vendors.

• Lockscreen that allows for Widgets, like weather, stocks, rich notifications, whatever.

• Allow for default page when entering iPhone to show running widgets (or mini-apps) instead of the top 16 apps (only showing bottom row apps).

• New Homepage Widget API so that devs can sell really cool Widgets on the App Store.

• Multitasking for the 3GS and newer devices with Apple creating backgrounding API, devs utilizing it as needed and then users turning it on and enabling it for the backgroundable apps.

• Detailed history of ALL notifications, making it searchable and accessible nearly everywhere you are in the system. Flicking the page up or down to see something similar to the way search works on iPhone OS grouping data from apps with their visible icon, but this would be for notifications you can order by app or by date or you can search.

• Ability to search pages in Safari.

• Folder os Smart Folder on Home Screen. Some potential Smart Folder categories are Recently Added apps, Apps used more than x-days ago, Games folder, etc.

• I'd like the OS to send app usage data to iTunes so you can see which apps you haven't used or sued the most so you can clean out the "forgotten apps" that are still updated. This will same you and Apple from having to push as many updates.
  • Reply 114 of 238
    When the 3.0 Software picture was out, it was a blueprint. It looked like if Apple was working on the things consumers were missing. And this 4.0 picture looks like it?s mysterious, and has a serious side into it. That?s why only the leg is showing and the rest is the shadow of the 4. It?s like if Apple is trying to prove to us that this is a big deal in the software and that there?s gonna be a different side to it, and maybe Mr.Jobs is trying to prove himself right with the ?A+? iPhone.
  • Reply 115 of 238
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    The only thing I really want is a speed boost for Safari and possbily an ability to view pages in full screen mode without the carrier bar. Other then that OS 3.0 is still the best.
  • Reply 116 of 238
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The existing iPhone 3.x software is a fully preemptive multitasking operating system, but it only allows Apple-developed applications to run in the background.

I didn't know that you couldn't run Apple-developed apps in the foreground - they better fix that soon.
  • Reply 117 of 238
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

isaidso: You're right, they're usually announced about a week prior rather than 3 days. I wonder what could have been happening in the past week that made them wait until now to announce this event...

Ohhhhhh. NOW I get it.

"Microsoft plans April 12 mystery event: Pulling another page from Apple's playbook, Microsoft has sent out a cryptic invitation to lure reporters to an upcoming event, while offering almost no clue as to what will be introduced."
  • Reply 118 of 238
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swinge View Post

Apple supports free upgrades for the first two years so you should be fine unless you own the original iPhone...

I don't recall this ever being stated by Apple as their policy.
  • Reply 119 of 238
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i'll bet that the new iphone will be AT LEAST as fast as the ipad, which right now blows any other smaart phone OS off the map

the big surprise is how did they get the performance from this chip that others by spec haven't been able to do

all those new droids etc now will be slow and need upgrade counter to the typical time of customer upgrades. also will put many on notice for upgrade since who wants to buy anything now till june BEFORE they compare to iphone 4.0

it will give us huge insight to iphone 4.0, and hope for an :SJ "surprise"

and when do schools purchase there IT stuff???? decisions must include iPad and iphone 4.0 as options.
  • Reply 120 of 238
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevejr View Post

i think this is bigger news than many expect. this should given them a bit of breathing room ahead of android.

What aspects of OS4 will give them breathing room ahead of Android?