Taiwanese paper claims Apple will refresh entire MacBook line soon

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
A new report claims that Apple could release updates to its MacBook, MacBook Pro and MacBook Air notebook computers in April, with alleged Intel processor supply issues said to be resolved.

Taiwanese newspaper Apple Daily reported on Monday that Apple plans to release updated MacBooks, MacBook Pros and MacBook Airs this month. The report alleged that the computers have taken longer than expected to hit the market because of shortages of Intel's newest chips.

The roughly translated report claims that the new MacBook Pro systems will sport 640GB hard drives, or have an option of 248GB solid state drives. It also states that the computers will offer 8 hours of battery life.

Last month it was revealed that Intel was struggling to meet demand for its new family of Core mobile processors. The CPUs have been widely expected to turn up in the next round of updates to Apple's MacBook and MacBook Pro lines. The report claimed that Intel's Core i3, Core i5 and Core i7 processors are all facing tight supplies due to a large order from manufacturer Acer.

AppleInsider has also shared alternative factors that are possibly contributing to the lengthy wait for MacBook upgrades, with dual graphics improvements expected to turn up in new MacBook Pros sometime this year. Sources have said the Mac maker has tested several next-generation notebooks that can switch between their integrated and discrete graphics processors automatically.

For months there have been rumors of new MacBook Pros based on Intel's new Core i7 and Core i5 mobile processors. The 32-nanometer chips offer improved speed, better graphics capabilities and lower power consumption than their Core 2 Duo predecessors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 175
    fatfredfatfred Posts: 8member
    Great news. Maybe I can get my MBP before my exams!
  • Reply 2 of 175
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    Just bought a new one. Man, I should have waited.

Late now, to return. Damn!
  • Reply 3 of 175
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

Just bought a new one. Man, I should have waited.

Late now, to return. Damn!

There is always eBay, just mention when you bought it and you heard about the new ones so you decided to switch. Nothing wrong with the machine, just wrong timing. Of course is the issue of transferring the warranty/AppleCare, get that resolved and I'm sure it will go fast.

What I do hope Apple will do is address the high reflection, perhaps not with a dull looking matte screen, but a form of glass that has anti-reflective properties integrated in the surface of the glass itself.

The trademark name is "museum glass" and it's used in fine art where reflections obstruct the view and colors of the actual art. Art galleries carry it.

Once you've seen the difference between museum glass and ordinary glass, you'll be amazed in it's clarity of objects behind it.
  • Reply 4 of 175
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    If this is indeed the only reason they are late it is a bit sad. But then again no one else is shipping volume either. Apple will need volume to keep up with demand so waiting till this month makes sense.

It is sad in the sense that I was hoping for a major leap forward instead of another me too Arrandale release.

Dave
  • Reply 5 of 175
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Bring it!

Soon, please?
  • Reply 6 of 175
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Please be soon I could really use a new mpb and I won't buy a computer that's been on the market almost a full year.
  • Reply 7 of 175
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I hope it's more than a Intel issue. They likely would have been able to inform Apple of what production delays would look like and hopefully Apple is prepping for a major overhaul of the MBP line.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

What I do hope Apple will do is address the high reflection, perhaps not with a dull looking matte screen, but a form of glass that has anti-reflective properties integrated in the surface of the glass itself.

The trademark name is "museum glass" and it's used in fine art where reflections obstruct the view and colors of the actual art. Art galleries carry it.

Once you've seen the difference between museum glass and ordinary glass, you'll be amazed in it's clarity of objects behind it.

You just tipped your hand. Your previous alias was MacTripper. Again, what the pros -AND- cons of Museum Glass? Why aren't other PC vendors using it? If they are, which ones?
  • Reply 8 of 175
    iPad Wi-fi launch, iPhone OS 4.0, iPad 3G launch, MacBook refresh, next-gen iPhone...Apple is on a roll.
  • Reply 9 of 175
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    You have a 1 in 52 chance of getting the week right.
  • Reply 10 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nautilus. View Post

iPad Wi-fi launch, iPhone OS 4.0, iPad 3G launch, MacBook refresh, next-gen iPhone...Apple is on a roll.

By the year 2020 Apple will have a Special Event and product release every day of the week.
  • Reply 11 of 175
    I know someone who is a head buyer for laptops at Best Buy. They entire line is being refreshed this month with new processors.
  • Reply 12 of 175
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

For months there have been rumors of new MacBook Pros based on Intel's new Core i7 and Core i5 mobile processors. The 32-nanometer chips offer improved speed, better graphics capabilities and lower power consumption than their Core 2 Duo predecessors.

Given that the Core2Duo doesn't include any graphics capabilities it's not hard for the Core ix ones to be an improvement

Seriously, Intel's integrated graphics are worse than those currently in use in the MacBook line so without discrete graphics across the board, Apple risks releasing new machines with weaker graphics than those they replace. That might be further reason for delays as Apple has been waiting to see just how bad the Intel graphics are in real world tests on Windows and Linux and negotiating with discrete graphics makers for a good deal.

I know several "ordinary" people, non-followers of Apple rumours, who are waiting for new MacBook Pros before they buy. When the general public realizes an update is overdue sales must be taking a pretty significant hit.
  • Reply 13 of 175
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I know several "ordinary" people, non-followers of Apple rumours, who are waiting for new MacBook Pros before they buy. When the general public realizes an update is overdue sales must be taking a pretty significant hit.

Yeah, when my customers look at a $600 HP or $650 Asus with a Core i3, 500GB HDD, and 4GB of DDR3 RAM, it's a hard sell to convince them to get the $999 MacBook with a generation older processor, half the RAM, and half the storage space. But then again, a lot of them are coming in replacing a computer that has gotten infected with too many viruses, so there's that.
  • Reply 14 of 175
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You just tipped your hand. Your previous alias was MacTripper. Again, what the pros -AND- cons of Museum Glass? Why aren't other PC vendors using it? If they are, which ones?

PC makers are cheap. They will never use anything but the lowest cost material.

The display makers are just as cheap and will sell the worst quality they can get away with. Only when a big player like Apple demands IPS LCDs do you see anything but TN or the lowest cost vertical alignment screens on the market. The high quality display business is a tiny niche with exorbitant prices.

I cannot see any display maker ever including a special anti-reflective glass without someone like Apple pressing for it and even then it'll come at a hefty price premium.

Apple customers are prepared to pay more to get a better product so cost cannot be the only reason why Apple doesn't use Museum Glass or a competitive solution. My guess is that anti-reflective glass contains some of the harmful chemicals that Apple has fought to eliminate from their machines.
  • Reply 15 of 175
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Mac mini too?
  • Reply 16 of 175
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dien0011 View Post

I know someone who is a head buyer for laptops at Best Buy. They entire line is being refreshed this month with new processors.

So... Exactly how much does a head cost, and where do they buy them from?
  • Reply 17 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

PC makers are cheap. They will never use anything but the lowest cost material.

[...]

Most of their products are cheap, but they do sell premium, prosumer, and professional products, too and always looking for a marketing scheme to put one over on Apple, like using carbon fiber even though the ones I've used were either a weak type and/or too thin to offer the same rigidity as an aluminium case.

If price in an issue, that would be a con but I've seen nothing comparing relative costs between glass.
  • Reply 18 of 175
    imoiimoi Posts: 15member
    Matte screen please.
  • Reply 19 of 175
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    I hope this rumor is true. I could use a 640Gb hard disk in the laptop. It would be nice if they make 4Gb RAM standard on the Macbook Pros too. These could have been delayed by 10.6.3 release too.
  • Reply 20 of 175
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    solipsism, you can always come back to AI as Agent Kujan

Back to topic please... thank you