WSJ: After strong initial demand, some lines for Apple iPad 'thin'

Comments

• Reply 181 of 203
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    [QUOTE=melgross;1604741

I suppose Apple, or Google could get it to work, but so far, Win 7 that does both is considered to be almost unworkable.[/QUOTE]

Do you have a cite for that? "Almost unworkable"?

Other than FUD on fora, I've never seen nor heard that anywhere.
  • Reply 182 of 203
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LouisTheXIV View Post

Good luck selling those predicted 20 million ipads by the end of the year Apple....

the hype for this thing was way way way bigger in the minds of the media than in the real world where most people see it for what it is: a $500 jumbo ipod touch. neither magical nor revolutionary. but very expensive.

Apple should still hit 5 million easily by end of year one for the iPad. Plenty of time and room to grow this nascent market.
  • Reply 183 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gchriste View Post

You are right, there is nothing revolutionary or magical about holding that HP desktop in your palm while surfing the net, reading ebooks and generally doing all mannor of things anywhere you want But hey, I guess it does have touch, must make the iPad look like a whimper piece of wanna be

Well said !
  • Reply 184 of 203
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

One would be the weight the keyboard adds to the dock, and the leverage of that weight from the keyboard projecting forwards. A friend who has both told me that the regular dock isn't as stable, though it's ok for charging. Poking the screen a bit has it moving..

Ah, excellent point. However it looked like it would be damn inconvenient to carry around and comments from several reviewers confirmed it's difficult to stuff in travel bags due to it's shape

I wonder if I could attach some folding legs to the bottom of a dock that could swing out to give it some more stability. Hmmm......

Of couse this means the cynically paranoid are going to pop up any day now and accuse Apple of being in cahoots wih accessory makers to force the creation of iPad/keyboard doc combo bags...
  • Reply 185 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

The iPad is certainly NOT all things to all people.

Thank god! Instead of being a mediocre solution for nothing much in particular for everyone it can (and does!) excel at being a very good device for some for it's targeted uses. For tasks that it's targeted at, it's going to be very hard to beat.
  • Reply 186 of 203
    Quote:

What would be wrong with a multitouch touchpad?

Like the iPad screen?
  • Reply 187 of 203
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Like the iPad screen?

Or like the touchpad they've been using for years?

Seriously, I think a touchpad with a visual output would be great for things like widgets, calculator, some Menu Bar items, stock ticker, Im announcement when working in another app. Of course there is a potential of making the touchpad less sensitivity if you do that so unless they can maintain the same functionality as a touchpad it currently has I'd say no, but this does look like an inevitable move.

PS: Dell has already experimented with it in their Adamo prototypes.
  • Reply 188 of 203
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

You've never really used a recent-vintage, high-quality netbook, eh?

A good netbook will play video better than an iPad - in 720P widescreen, using the whole 10 inch screen instead of a small letterbox. They will support every codec made. You have an almost limitless variety of good-quality playback software to choose from - whatever layout and feature set you prefer, with many of them absolutely free. And you can connect to your TV using HDMI. For standalone use, it plays in stereo, instead of mono.

A good netbook will surf the web better than an iPad - and will be able to handle every type of web content, including Flash. They also give you the choice of browser: Any browser you want.

And you have the choice of OS: Win XP, Win 7, any flavor of Linux, even Mac OSX if that is what you like.

I have one, and it's junk. Everything's slow. Everything. It's also twice as heavy, much bulkier, and takes ages to recharge. I can't see much of an advantage, because most programs don't work well on it, and some won't even install.

There's a lot of promise to a netbook, even though they were never intended to do what you seem to think they're good at. Problem is that they don't do much of anything in actuality, even though, on paper, they can. There's a reason why so many have been taken back to the stores.

Apple isn't pretending that the iPad does everything. Yet, it does most of what a netbook actually does, while doing things that they don't. There is no way that some of the games out already for the iPad could be written to work on a netbook.

And with OS 4.0 arriving this summer, they will do much more. Next year's model will come with a much more powerful cpu and gpu as well. Third party software is already adding features it doesn't come with, and business software companies already have software out for it. We'll see much more.

As far as playing video, most netbooks have no more resolution than the iPad, and most have less.

Knock it all you want, but this will prove to be much more than you seem to want it to be.
  • Reply 189 of 203
    Quote:

What would be wrong with a multitouch touchpad?

I've already explained all that. Read the posts.
  • Reply 190 of 203
    Quote:

Do you have a cite for that? "Almost unworkable"?

Other than FUD on fora, I've never seen nor heard that anywhere.

You don't read much if you haven't seen that.

I'll post a review of the new Archos for you though I posted it already. This is what we're going to see with other Windows 7 tablets. Enjoy!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Review....html?x=0&.v=1
  • Reply 191 of 203
    undo redoundo redo Posts: 164member
    Quote:

There's a reason why so many have been taken back to the stores.

I'm getting tired of hearing that. 38 million sold in 2009. A percent or two returned maybe? Say what you will about netbooks. They've been a hit!
  • Reply 192 of 203
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Undo Redo View Post

I'm getting tired of hearing that. 38 million sold in 2009. A percent or two returned maybe? Say what you will about netbooks. They've been a hit!

I think it's likely the return the rate has dropped when MS offered WinXP and then Win7 came out, as Linux on these things is not the experience people wanted, but regardless of the return rate I have to wonder how many are utilizing them instead of just having buyers remorse with it sitting in a closet, being sold or given away.

We'll see how they fare this year with tablets hitting the market and, for the most part, vying for the same "limited computing marketshare" that both of the iPad and netbook are part of. If we see a dramatic drop in netbook sales over 2009 there will be clear inferences as to why.

The saving grace for netbooks may be Chrome OS as it is lightweight like Linux (since it is) and has the ease of use of what people do most of a consumption device. To early to tell, but this could be the first OS that could really eat away at MS' OS marketshare, albeit only at the lowest end of the scale
  • Reply 193 of 203
    Quote:

No. Reports have been saying that as many as a third have been returned.

http://www.forbes.com/2009/05/21/net...partner=alerts

It's gotten somewhat better as more people realize that netbooks don't do that much, and so their expectations have dimmed. Which is why sales growth for netbooks have slowed.

And you can look that one up yourself.
  • Reply 194 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think it's likely the return the rate has dropped when MS offered WinXP and then Win7 came out, as Linux on these things is not the experience people wanted, but regardless of the return rate I have to wonder how many are utilizing them instead of just having buyers remorse with it sitting in a closet, being sold or given away.

We'll see how they fare this year with tablets hitting the market and, for the most part, vying for the same "limited computing marketshare" that both of the iPad and netbook are part of. If we see a dramatic drop in netbook sales over 2009 there will be clear inferences as to why.

The saving grace for netbooks may be Chrome OS as it is lightweight like Linux (since it is) and has the ease of use of what people do most of a consumption device. To early to tell, but this could be the first OS that could really eat away at MS' OS marketshare, albeit only at the lowest end of the scale

It wasn't just that. It was the poor performance, and when people found out that an upgrade from basic to Home would cost them another 50 bucks.
  • Reply 195 of 203
    Quote:

No. Reports have been saying that as many as a third have been returned.

http://www.forbes.com/2009/05/21/net...partner=alerts

It's gotten somewhat better as more people realize that netbooks don't do that much, and so their expectations have dimmed. Which is why sales growth for netbooks have slowed.

And you can look that one up yourself.

Note that article is dated April, 2009 and says "Early on, confusion ... had led to return rates as high as 30% for netbooks last year."

edit: May, 2009, not April.

Popularity then exploded and 38 million were sold the following year, 2009. Got any return rates for 2009?

Growth is slowing but growth is still occurring. What will it be this year, 50 million?

I won't argue that netbooks are the best devices out there but they certainly are popular, despite what a few netbook haters say.
  • Reply 196 of 203
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

...but regardless of the return rate I have to wonder how many are utilizing them instead of just having buyers remorse with it sitting in a closet, being sold or given away.

That can be said about a lot of electronic toys. My iPod touch is pretty much permanently docked to my alarm clock. After a month of trying to use it for internet access, I gave up and relegated it to playing music two minutes a day.

I've bought a few camcorders over the years. Each got used about twice a year and sat in the closet the rest of the time.

Perhaps this will even happen with a few iPads.

The fact is, a netbook makes a great portable device for accessing the internet, among other things. Is it the best? No way. But I don't see any point in going around bad-mouthing netbooks all the time as some people do.
  • Reply 197 of 203
    Quote:

Note that article is dated April, 2009 and says "Early on, confusion ... had led to return rates as high as 30% for netbooks last year."

edit: May, 2009, not April.

Popularity then exploded and 38 million were sold the following year, 2009. Got any return rates for 2009?

Growth is slowing but growth is still occurring. What will it be this year, 50 million?

I won't argue that netbooks are the best devices out there but they certainly are popular, despite what a few netbook haters say.

I don't know the number this year, but it would be slowing anyway as we come out of the recession, and people go back to buying better machines. The iPad is also expected to bite into those sales.

I haven't looked for a later article, as that was the one I bookmarked. Returns aren't as bad now, as I said, and the article said, because people now know the limitations of netbooks. So people who would have bought them a year ago aren't buying them, leading to two things. One is the much slower growth rate, and two; lower returns.
  • Reply 198 of 203
    Quote:

That can be said about a lot of electronic toys. My iPod touch is pretty much permanently docked to my alarm clock. After a month of trying to use it for internet access, I gave up and relegated it to playing music two minutes a day.

I've bought a few camcorders over the years. Each got used about twice a year and sat in the closet the rest of the time.

Perhaps this will even happen with a few iPads.

The fact is, a netbook makes a great portable device for accessing the internet, among other things. Is it the best? No way. But I don't see any point in going around bad-mouthing netbooks all the time as some people do.

The problem has to do with expectations. When a product is sold that gives people high expectations, and then falls well short, then there is a problem. While manufacturers were selling netbooks for the net experience, they kept silent as sales rose quickly during the recession as people's expectation rose on the usability of the devices.

Those enhanced expectations came about from wishful thinking on the part of people who wanted to buy a notebook, but who didn't have, or didn't want to spend the extra money for one. So they convinced themselves that a netbook, especially the more expensive ones, such as the one I bought my daughter for her summer school, where she only wanted the internet, IM, Skype, etc., would substitute.

But many people were buying them to run programs they couldn't run; games they couldn't play, networking speeds they didn't have, etc. So then they were returned because they couldn't do the things they weren't designed to do, but that people wanted them to do.

It's not a matter of putting down netbooks. They are what they are. But it's the perception that because they have an Atom chip, run Windows, and have a few ports, that they can do so much more. They can't.

It's a matter of being honest about it. Companies kept mum, even though they knew that consumers were making a bad choice, because netbook sales during the recession were, in many cases, the only thing giving them steady sales as the sales of their more expensive (and profitable) notebooks dropped.
  • Reply 199 of 203
    Quote:

The problem has to do with expectations. When a product is sold that gives people high expectations, and then falls well short, then there is a problem. While manufacturers were selling netbooks for the net experience, they kept silent as sales rose quickly during the recession as people's expectation rose on the usability of the devices.

Those enhanced expectations came about from wishful thinking on the part of people who wanted to buy a notebook, but who didn't have, or didn't want to spend the extra money for one. So they convinced themselves that a netbook, especially the more expensive ones, such as the one I bought my daughter for her summer school, where she only wanted the internet, IM, Skype, etc., would substitute.

But many people were buying them to run programs they couldn't run; games they couldn't play, networking speeds they didn't have, etc. So then they were returned because they couldn't do the things they weren't designed to do, but that people wanted them to do.

It's not a matter of putting down netbooks. They are what they are. But it's the perception that because they have an Atom chip, run Windows, and have a few ports, that they can do so much more. They can't.

It's a matter of being honest about it. Companies kept mum, even though they knew that consumers were making a bad choice, because netbook sales during the recession were, in many cases, the only thing giving them steady sales as the sales of their more expensive (and profitable) notebooks dropped.

Good response.

I guess my expectations weren't as high as the people to whom you refer. I bought a netbook in late 2008 and remain happy with it. I have other computers for doing higher end stuff.

My old 2006 MacBook was so heavy and hot, I used the netbook a lot more for couch surfing, etc. Recently I got an aluminum MBP and use the netbook less. I still take the netbook whenever I travel because it's lighter, easier to pack and less fragile than the MBP. It's very handy and does everything I need it to do without any problems. So I'm a little baffled and offended when people say netbooks are junk.

I might buy an iPad at some point. I haven't tried one yet but I'm doubtful I'm going to find it more convenient or easy to use than the netbook. I am convinced I'll like the display better but that might be all.
  • Reply 200 of 203
    Four days, and I still can't get used to this tiny keyboard. I'm a petite woman and my fingers still hit the wrong keys. I have to look to verify I'm on the right keys. Someone suggested an external keyboard, but that seems silly. I'm beginning to think I should have gotten a netbook, but I'm hoping I can get used to what is really no keyboard. How long do you think it will take to adjust, if at all? I'm sorry to vent, but I'm frustrated. This is my first Apple product and I guess I expected more with all the hype.