Apple iPad owners report Wi-Fi connection issues

Comments

• Reply 121 of 164
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    so far I've seen perhaps 25 comments of problems. that's like 0.008% of the ipads sold. far from a major problem.

in fact the support doc could have been caused by the stores asking if there was a way to improve connections for their demos and not actually by any customer complaints. cause with a couple dozen ipads, dozen or so iphones and another dozen ipod touches, plus 30 or so computers and any brought in by those folks in the class thing, that's a lot for a connection to handle.
  • Reply 122 of 164
    I believe this is a software problem. It only happens to me using 3rd party apps. Hasn't happened in Safari or downloading over iTunes, etc...
  • Reply 123 of 164
    jeffrodhjeffrodh Posts: 12member
    It's interesting that people have been speculating about HW issues, software issues, Q&A issues, component supply issues....

The biggest issue in real-world wi-fi performance is RF propagation, and at higher frequencies, the problems multiply exponentially. I suspect that some HW & SW issues do exist, but the vast majority of performance problems are due to lack of signal strength, noise, and reflections. Reflections are particularly difficult to deal with, as they can fool you into thinking you've got great coverage... for a second. In urban environments, where a lot of steel, concrete and other RF reflecting/blocking infrastructure, a continuous stream of data packets can be very difficult to maintain. Not understanding how the technology actually works, many fairly intelligent folks point the blame at the HW or SW, when the implementation of the network and environment are actually to blame. And we haven't even discussed having multiple overlapping networks with different security protocols sharing the relatively narrow bandwidth assigned to these devices. The 802.11N 5 Ghz spec gives everyone some more wiggle room, until everyone starts using it.

That being said, Apple does have some problems with the software side of their wifi stack, and network configuration in general. I gladly confess ignorance of the inner workings of the software, but there are real issues. Authentication issues with some corporate networks, problems detecting and setting up printers shared in other OS's, DHCP with manual address not working correctly... I could go on with the issues I've experienced with OS X, and I've only been here since 10.5. I know they are software issues, because other OS's on the same hardware handle the tasks just fine.

It is very irritating to have audio recording set up on the mac side, but need to boot XP to authenticate to the college wireless network and upload the recording, but that's another issue.
  • Reply 124 of 164
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Good to see they've released yet another product without doing adequate testing...

A tiny fraction of customers will have issues with any product, and when there are 300,000 launch day customers, a tiny fraction of customers can make a very vocal minority. It isn't that complicated. Apple has had some legitimate issues in the past, but assuming that to be the case for this product would be premature at best.
  • Reply 125 of 164
    peteropetero Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soskok View Post

How do you people get different speed on devices? My broadband is 50Mbit/s and whatever is connected to wifi router will receive the full 50 unless any other device is downloading anything in this case the speed splits equally between devices that need connection. As my wifi rout isnt capable of more than 54Mbit/s and i only have 50 broadband (which is a lot faster than country's average) i just dont understand how speed can wary

50 Mb/s? Wow, that's fast.

A heads-up on WiFi data transmission rates, hardware and software configurations, and lots of other great guidance that I've found enormously useful.

http://smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/...the-essentials

Also,

http://smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/...w-80211n-speed

Hope it helps.
  • Reply 126 of 164
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Click on the airport icon in the menu bar, select the appropriate network, type in the password if required an then I don't give it a second thought.

On my work windows laptop sometimes i have to use the native windows wifi manager, then on other wifi nets only the manufacturer provided wifi manager will work - it's VERY annoying and consistently inconsistent.

Sounds frustrating.
  • Reply 127 of 164
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I really don't see how what HP is doing is any different than what Apple does in the "Get a Mac" ads. However, I really don't believe HP has to discredit the iPad in order to succeed. If HP develops a quality product, the sales will be there. Personally, I don't want another laptop, which essentially is what a net book is. I like the idea of having something in between my iPhone and my Macbook Pro - and the iPad occupies that space beautifully. It's perfect for me.

Hp in no way discredited the iPad. Did you even watch the video you are talking about?
  • Reply 128 of 164
    My neighbor and I are having issues with Verizon's FIOS router. When you turn on the iPad it sometimes asks which network you would like join (even though you were previously connected to a wifi network). In my case, it asks me if I would like to join my home network or my neighbor's which I have never connected to...

It's kind of annoying - I hope they fix this soon!
  • Reply 129 of 164
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    I'm curious what will happen with WiFi systems as portable devices become more pervasive. Most WiFi access points can handle a maximum of 25 users; hardened ones like Xirrus will do up to 64 per radio, and things like the Airport Express can only do 5-6.

I really enjoy running KisMac on my laptop to see what the issues are; it is a shame that the App Store bans WiFi "stumblers," as it often gives a user a chance to understand what the problem is relative to their device. Sure, there are "bad" uses of these devices, but they can really offer a lot of utility.

Barring that, I wish you could get Apple's diagnostic radio information up in a fashion that would be useful.
  • Reply 130 of 164
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidmac27 View Post

My neighbor and I are having issues with Verizon's FIOS router. When you turn on the iPad it sometimes asks which network you would like join (even though you were previously connected to a wifi network). In my case, it asks me if I would like to join my home network or my neighbor's which I have never connected to...

It's kind of annoying - I hope they fix this soon!

Fix what? I don't understand what you think is broken. The pad sees what is available and offers you a choice...
  • Reply 131 of 164
    masrinmasrin Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Some who purchased their iPad on launch day have experienced wireless connectivity issues with their new device, with reports of weak Wi-Fi reception, dropped signals and difficulty connecting to a network.

Already there are a number of threads with dozens of posts about Wi-Fi connection issues, ranging from a weak signal to an inability to connect to a router. Issues have been reported with a variety of routers, including Apple's own AirPort Extreme.

"I have also noticed very weak wifi signal in my 16GB iPad," user tdbc wrote. "Even when standing in front of the wlan router the signal fluctuates from strong to very weak. The router has very strong signals as every other computer here has full signal strength, even 20-30 meters from the router. So there is definitely a wifi signal issue here with the iPad."

Another user, Dr. JB, said their iPad is getting just one bar of Wi-Fi signal, while a nearby MacBook Pro has strong, full reception. They said their iPad was also experiencing slow downloads due to the weak signal.

A post from powerguru revealed bandwidth data from the Speedtest.net application, which showed an iPad with 1.83 megabits per second download, compared to 14.77 megabits on the iPhone 3GS. The user also noted that the iPad uses 802.11n while the iPhone 3GS is 802.11g.

Others said their signal sometimes fluctuated, and some said resetting the network settings or restarting the iPad would temporarily fix the issue. But others who commented said they have experienced no Wi-Fi issues, suggesting the problems are not universal.

In response to some issues, Apple has set up a support document for users who have problems getting their iPad to rejoin known Wi-Fi networks after a restart or waking from sleep. The issue is known to occur with some third-party Wi-Fi routers that are dual-band capable.

To resolve the issue, Apple recommends creating separate Wi-Fi network names to identify each band, such as adding G to the 802.11g network name, and N to the 802.11n network name. It is also recommended that both networks use the same security type, such as WPA. If the issue persists, users can reset their network settings under Settings, General, Reset.

Apple sold more than 300,000 iPads on its first day of availability. Currently, only models that utilize Wi-Fi for Internet connectivity are available for purchase. The hardware starts at $499 for 16GB.

iPad models with 3G connectivity are set to arrive later this month, and will carry a $130 premium. The added wireless radio will offer 3G connectivity with the AT&T cellular network in the U.S. The carrier will offer no-contract data plans starting at $15 per month for 250MB of data, and $30 a month for unlimited access.

Steve Jobs you are the most admired person in this universe.

Can you make the iPad to be used universally so that a person can buy the iPad in USA and travel to any part of the world and be able to use the 3G enabled version without any hassels of locked to AT&T or Contract etc.

Hope you are listning and release the next WiFi+3G version free of any locks or contracts and avoid jailbreakers,hackers and other unscruplous guys to misuse the world class iPad you delivered after hard work for so many years.
  • Reply 132 of 164
    masrinmasrin Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bkerkay View Post

Used it all day Saturday and Sunday with no WiFi issues. Full bars all the time. And using different WiFi network today and same thing - full bars.

Everything is working smoothly on my end and with my iPad.

Hi

Which router are you using.

Is it N router or G router.

How do you find out which router you are using.

Is it printed on the modem??
  • Reply 133 of 164
    I kept trying to access my uncles router on Easter, but it kept giving unable to join and the signal was not reliable.
  • Reply 134 of 164
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    I have a 32 GB iPad, connecting to an Apple WDS network with WPA2 Personal security (one Airport Extreme and three Airport Express - N only) in my home, and connection is rock solid - in fact, it is the best wireless device I have in terms of signal strength/actual performance (my other devices are Intel iMacs, a Mac Pro, a MacBook Air, an original MacBook Pro 17, and three iPhone 3g/3gs)

My parents have a 16 gb iPad, with a single Linksys/Cisco wireless N router with WPA2 Personal security, and again, no issues connecting or staying connected, and there is great performance through their two story house.

Both homes also have 5 ghz wireless phone systems active.

I also took my 32 gb iPad to another location which had a no-security D-Link wireless G router, and again, I was able to connect easily and remain connected with great performance

My experience would tell me that the reported issues is a) limited to select units due to manufacturing/shipping issue, or b) environmental.

If it were software, I would think the issue would plague all units, not a handful.
  • Reply 135 of 164
    It would be nice if people would state which iPad model and what make wifi if known.
  • Reply 136 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

of course as you are such a genius you know that the problem is with the ipad and not the routers being used (or how they were set up)...

Do people not read articles anymore? It states that the problems occured on Apple's own routers as well!
  • Reply 137 of 164
    moosomooso Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Do people not read articles anymore? It states that the problems occured on Apple's own routers as well!

Are you not capable of thinking beyond what the author writes in an article!?

Take the same router that works in testing (including Apple's own routers), put it in your house, and there are 100 different things that can cause interference and connection problems. Obviously not everyone is having these problems, so there are environmental issues at work here. Every situation is different and has its own set of unique circumstances which can affect how hardware works together.

Though at this point, I think you are fully aware of this (giving you the benefit of the doubt, that you are not unintelligent), and are just trolling
  • Reply 138 of 164
    ricmacricmac Posts: 65member
    Take your hand off the plastic Apple on the back of the pad, reception will improve.
  • Reply 139 of 164
    ricmacricmac Posts: 65member
    "Steve Jobs you are the most admired person in this universe.

Can you make the iPad to be used universally so that a person can buy the iPad in USA and travel to any part of the world and be able to use the 3G enabled version without any hassels of locked to AT&T or Contract etc.

Hope you are listning and release the next WiFi+3G version free of any locks or contracts and avoid jailbreakers,hackers and other unscruplous guys to misuse the world class iPad you delivered after hard work for so many years."

???????????

The iPad IS NOT locked to ATT!
  • Reply 140 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mooso View Post

Though at this point, I think you are fully aware of this (giving you the benefit of the doubt, that you are not unintelligent), and are just trolling

Yes because unless you fall in line with fawning adoration at everything Apple does and releases you are a troll.

If you can deny there's been a marked decline in quality control at Apple over the past few years then your head is definately buried deep in the sand.