Twitter users' biggest complaint with iPad: it can't replace an iPhone

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Twitter users reacting to Apple's iPad after it launched on Saturday were overwhelmingly happy with the new device, with the biggest complaint being that the device can't replace their iPhone, a new survey of the social networking Web site found.

On Tuesday, Attensity Group released its analysis of public reaction from Twitter, which analyzed 50,000 "tweets" related to the iPad. The survey found that 67 percent of people "like the iPad," and another 6 percent "love" it." For those against the product, 24 percent were said to be "not thrilled" with the iPad, while 2 percent "hate" Apple's new device.

In perhaps the best bit of news for Apple from the survey, 87 percent of those talking about the iPad on Twitter after the product launched indicated they will buy an iPad, while just 13 percent said they will not purchase one.

The biggest complaint from new iPad users was the fact that the device will not replace an iPhone. The study found that 26 percent of those complaining about the device wish it could replace their handset. Another 19 percent were upset over the lack of support for Adobe Flash, while 17 percent believe the pricing of applications on the App Store is too high.

The mention of iPhone replacement could suggest that users who bought the Wi-Fi-only iPad on Saturday wish they had waited for the 3G model, due to arrive later this month. Like the iPhone, the 3G model will offer a persistent wireless data connection through carrier AT&T in the U.S. There's also the iPad's custom-built, speedy A4 processor, which makes the large-screen device more responsive than the iPhone 3GS.

Unsurprisingly, the thing that made users most happy about the iPad is the range of applications from the App Store, with 38 percent of positive Twitter comments related to iPad software. Another 26 percent said the new device could replace some of the functions of their iPhone, while 17 percent were satisfied with the screen and 9 percent praised the soft keyboard.

Users' favorite iPad application, with 34 percent of the Twitter discussion, was Apple's iBooks, the book reading and purchasing application that users are prompted to download upon launching the App Store. Another 31 percent spoke positively of Netflix, while the iWork suite of applications was represented by 27 percent.

Apple revealed on Monday that the iPad got off to a strong start in sales, with 300,000 of the new device being sold on its first day alone. That's a number better than the 270,000 the first-generation iPhone sold at launch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 223
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    It would actually be nice to be able to make phonecalls on it.
  • Reply 2 of 223
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    was it ever marketed to be a replacement for the iPhone???

that is a really a dumb complaint.
  • Reply 3 of 223
    ajmasajmas Posts: 600member
    Anyone thinking this would be an iPhone replacement, must be kidding themselves. The primary task of each of these devices just isn't the same. There is cross-over, but that isn't the same.

As for the "no flash support", I would be curious to see in what contexts and on which sites.
  • Reply 4 of 223
    danielchowdanielchow Posts: 136member
    asinine

edit: it's irresistible to not respond to such accordingly, because dumb questions will always yield dumb answers.
  • Reply 5 of 223
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Stop calling users dumb for feeling what they feel. You can disagree but you can't call them dumb--it's a fact that they are feeling the way they said. And it actually is a bit silly to have to carry both an iPad and an iPhone considering the huge amount of overlap between the devices.
  • Reply 6 of 223
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

was it ever marketed to be a replacement for the iPhone???

that is a really a dumb complaint.

Can you imagine the anti-iPad mocking from the PC fanboyz showing someone holding an iPad to their ear

Apple investors would not exactly love it if it cannibalized iPhone sales either! Of course it can use Skype and similar systems so it isn't totally without communications ability.

p.s. After three days now using it around the clock I haven't missed Flash yet!
  • Reply 7 of 223
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Was there ever a pre-release survey of expected "early adopters" to guage initial demand for WiFi Vs. 3G iPads? I'm quite curious as to how this would break down.
  • Reply 8 of 223
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The biggest complaint from new iPad users was the fact that the device will not replace an iPhone. The study found that 26 percent of those complaining about the device wish it could replace their handset.

Who the hell wants to carry around a 1.5-pound, 10" tablet all day to make phone calls? Are these people idiots? What is this, 1985? It's not made to replace an iPhone and never was designed to.
  • Reply 9 of 223
    ajmasajmas Posts: 600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

Stop calling users dumb for feeling what they feel. You can disagree but you can't call them dumb--it's a fact that they are feeling the way they said. And it actually is a bit silly to have to carry both an iPad and an iPhone considering the huge amount of overlap between the devices.

You would be even more silly looking if you started holding your iPad up to your ears
  • Reply 10 of 223
    Quote:

I'm sorry, but I think it IS rather dumb. Why would you want to carry around a 10" tablet all day and use it as your primary phone?

You going to carry it in a man purse? Sure, you can use a Bluetooth headset with it, but you've still got to deal with its bulk whereas an iPhone fits in your pocket.
  • Reply 11 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

You would be even more silly looking if you started holding your iPad up to your ears

Speakerphone, including the use of earbuds/wired/BT headset.

Of course, I doubt it would be an oft-used feature.
  • Reply 12 of 223
    gotapplegotapple Posts: 115member
    All the iPad can replace is an iPod Touch.
  • Reply 13 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gotApple View Post

All the iPad can replace is an iPod Touch.

And a netbook.
  • Reply 14 of 223
    saldogsaldog Posts: 48member
    The survey had no way of catching whether these Tweets were from people who actually owned an iPad, right? I find it hard to believe that people that actually bought one expected it to be a replacement of their iPhone. Must be from people who didn't understand what the iPad was about, hence had not bought one.

And yes, those people who expected the iPad to be an iPhone replacement are complete morons.
  • Reply 15 of 223
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:

Nope, it is dumb. Yeah there is a huge overlap between the devices but making phone calls is not part of that overlap. Nobody from Apple ever said the iPad was meant to replace a phone. From day one, they said the iPad sits between the iPhone and a laptop. People who get an iPad and complain that a device with a 10-inch screen and no 3G is unable to replace their phones are being dumb. It's time we speak up when someone says something dumb, instead of pretending that what is being said isn't a stupid, asinine idea. If more of us did that in 2002, we wouldn't be in such a mess in Iraq.

Yeah I woke up grumpy today.
  • Reply 16 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

And a netbook.

How? Can I print properly formated spreadsheets, webpages, word documents, PDF files, etc from it? Can I hook it up to a larger monitor without the need for a dongle? Can I plug in an SD card without needing another dongle? Can I plug my Nikon D60 in without needing a dongle? Can I scan in documents using my wireless AIW printer? Can I run Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Linux, or the full OS X with an iPad?

Let's not kid ourselves here. The iPad can be a netbook replacement for some people, but not all

OK, enough of that... back to the topic at hand
  • Reply 17 of 223
    Quote:

Yes, this is my feeling also. Not having the iPad natively be a phone is what has put it in the "whatever, I'll wait for the next version and see what happens" category.

The nice thing about the iPhone is how well it took a bunch of little devices and squeezed them all into a little box. I don't want to carry around an additional devices. If I'm carrying around the iPad, which does everything that the phone does, but "magically" better, I might as well use it a blue tooth cell phone/speaker phone also, and just dump the phone.

Skype obviously comes close, but I need Skype on more than just a wifi hotspot; I need to be able to get calls through at any moment notice, like through a cell carrier.
  • Reply 18 of 223
    seanie248seanie248 Posts: 180member
    yes , it is right to call them dumb for complaining that ipad doesnt replace the iphone.

EG:

"i'm annoyed my 27inch imac doesnt replace my iphone"

"i'm annoyed my helicopter doesnt replace my car"

"i'm annoyed my oven doesnt replace my saucepan"

All stupid statements as they are all items that were NEVER intended to replace the other.

Sure there is some cross-over in usage, but thats all.

You cant complain when something doesnt do what it was never designed to do.

Those people are then ones who are responsible for all the dumb signs on everything like : not for anal use on a vacuum cleaner, and do not place animals inside, on a microwave.

society should call these people stupid to their faces and not make excuses for them. hopefully that will make them thing about things first and hopefully not have to have everything dumbed down the lowest denominator.

But, I suppose, how long before Apple are forced to put a big red warning sticker on all iPads saying: WARNING: Not an iPhone replacement
  • Reply 19 of 223
    lochiaslochias Posts: 83member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It would actually be nice to be able to make phonecalls on it.

Skype.
  • Reply 20 of 223
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

If they ever a 1.5lbs device with a 10" display was going to be a natural replacement for an iPhone then that is a little dumb. If they felt it would make for a great aircraft carrier whilst in the bath then that is a lot dumb.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Apple investors would not exactly love it if it cannibalized iPhone sales either! Of course it can use Skype and similar systems so it isn't totally without communications ability.

The jury is still out but I am going to see if I can replace my iPhone with an iPad. I don't make calls much, and when I do Google Voice may suffice. Plus, I'm almost always carrying a book with me already and it can save me about $40/month from not having the phone part of my AT&T bill.

Quote:

p.s. After three days now using it around the clock I haven't missed Flash yet!

Neither have I. Netflix and ABC work great for streaming shows.