Twitter users' biggest complaint with iPad: it can't replace an iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 223
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snowshovel View Post

Yes, this is my feeling also. Not having the iPad natively be a phone is what has put it in the "whatever, I'll wait for the next version and see what happens" category.

The nice thing about the iPhone is how well it took a bunch of little devices and squeezed them all into a little box. I don't want to carry around an additional devices. If I'm carrying around the iPad, which does everything that the phone does, but "magically" better, I might as well use it a blue tooth cell phone/speaker phone also, and just dump the phone.

Skype obviously comes close, but I need Skype on more than just a wifi hotspot; I need to be able to get calls through at any moment notice, like through a cell carrier.

Let me ask you this. Do you carry your phone everywhere with you now? I mean, do you keep your phone in your pocket all day? If you do, you probably don't even think about.

Now think about all the phone usage scenarios with a 10" tablet...
  • Reply 22 of 223
    kindredmackindredmac Posts: 153member
    I too am of the camp that these people are DUMB.

There is a reason these people are using Twitter... They are a bunch of TWITS!!!

The iPad is merely a enlarged iPod touch, which leads me to my believe that the iPod touch might be renamed to the iPad mini or iPad nano. Because the touch wasn't really an iPod from the get-go. It was just an iPhone that couldn't make calls and was a lot thinner and shinier looking.
  • Reply 23 of 223
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

How? Can I print properly formated spreadsheets, webpages, word documents, PDF files, etc from it? Can I hook it up to a larger monitor without the need for a dongle? Can I plug in an SD card without needing another dongle? Can I plug my Nikon D60 in without needing a dongle? Can I scan in documents using my wireless AIW printer? Can I run Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Linux, or the full OS X with an iPad?

Let's not kid ourselves here. The iPad can be a netbook replacement for some people, but not all

OK, enough of that... back to the topic at hand

Just one person's view ... mine

I at first thought I'd want to print too and I did see some apps appearing for that already. However, now I am not that concerned to be honest. I know it's only been three days of use I have had but my take is that the iPad is primarily a product for absorbing information plus great e-mail. What the iPad gives me is a tremendously appreciated break from sitting at the Mac Pro. I can relax and continue gathering information, researching and keeping in touch. I e-mail myself links and get back to work when I need to on the Mac Pro.

I have also already used it to take to a client and used it to showcase work instead of a MacBook. Not being sure they had wi-fi I took tons of screen shots on the iPad while in my office and had them already. It turned out they didn't have reliable wi-fi so I used the Photo app to flick through all the screen shots. To be honest I suspect they didn't even realize it wasn't on the web live. I got the deal and the client left to go to Best Buy to see if they had any iPads left.

I am fast wondering how I lived without it.
  • Reply 24 of 223
    istudistud Posts: 193member
    Anyone using it as a phone would look plain dumb holding it against the ear
  • Reply 25 of 223
    Quote:

How? Can I print properly formated spreadsheets, webpages, word documents, PDF files, etc from it? Can I hook it up to a larger monitor without the need for a dongle? Can I plug in an SD card without needing another dongle? Can I plug my Nikon D60 in without needing a dongle? Can I scan in documents using my wireless AIW printer? Can I run Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Linux, or the full OS X with an iPad?

Let's not kid ourselves here. The iPad can be a netbook replacement for some people, but not all

OK, enough of that... back to the topic at hand

I agree. If I had a netbook, I would use it to take notes at university - there's no way I could use an iPad for that; I type much faster on a hardware QWERTY. The iPad is nice, but it won't serve as a netbook-replacement for anyone I know.
  • Reply 26 of 223
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I am fast wondering how I lived without it.

I can't believe how much I've spent for apps already.
  • Reply 27 of 223
    lukaslukas Posts: 11member
    Quote:

oh common netbooks are the biggest pile of sh*t i've ever seen..

seriously..all those ppl who are complaining about the ipads specs are total hypocrats.."it cant even multitask"..common seriously? try to run a browser with flash + word on a netbook..and - hey - why not connect a 1920*1200 screen to it? i bet you 100 bucks no 300$-netbook on this planet can handle this in an enjoyable way.

the ipad has pretty decent hardware for what it was build for..you cant run a full OS on a device that small.. doesnt matter if its a netbook or a tablet..but it wasnt built for that!

it was build for touch controls not for a mouse like a desktop pc..

and who gives a sh*t about a small adapter? just leave it on your goddamn camera-usb-cord and when u need it its there and it works..i dont see any problems?!

sry for the long post and bad grammar i was in a rush
  • Reply 28 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parkettpolitur View Post

I agree. If I had a netbook, I would use it to take notes at university - there's no way I could use an iPad for that; I type much faster on a hardware QWERTY. The iPad is nice, but it won't serve as a netbook-replacement for anyone I know.

I don't agree. I think it can't replace a notebook but it can replace the reason most people got netbooks, for consumption and occasional or lite input . I found trying to type on the shrunken keyboard of a netbook to be a chore. iPad typing is fast, the only drawback to it is the need to constantly look at the display, but I had to with the netbook, too, because it's not full sized.
  • Reply 29 of 223
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

Stop calling users dumb for feeling what they feel. You can disagree but you can't call them dumb--it's a fact that they are feeling the way they said.

Well as many people have pointed out, complaining that a device that is at least 5 times larger and 5 times heavier than an iPhone .... would be a good replacement.... is kinda dumb.

Quote:

And it actually is a bit silly to have to carry both an iPad and an iPhone considering the huge amount of overlap between the devices.

This is pretty silly too. Most people don't own an iPhone. Most people don't even have a smart phone.
  • Reply 30 of 223
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Quote:

Stop calling users dumb for feeling what they feel. You can disagree but you can't call them dumb--it's a fact that they are feeling the way they said. And it actually is a bit silly to have to carry both an iPad and an iPhone considering the huge amount of overlap between the devices.

I can call them dumb as well as you, which is my basic right.

Trying to use a device for things for which it was not designed IS dumb. The 3G models have yet to arrive. But even then, the 3G connection is meant more for DATA, not voice.

On Steve's initial keynote, he showed a diagram of how the iPad fits BETWEEN laptops and phones.

Give the kiddies more time to play and they'll figure it out better.
  • Reply 31 of 223
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Mt biggest complaint is it doesn't replace my car.

HE'S ON A HOVERBOARD!
  • Reply 32 of 223
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:

Stop calling users dumb for feeling what they feel. You can disagree but you can't call them dumb--it's a fact that they are feeling the way they said. And it actually is a bit silly to have to carry both an iPad and an iPhone considering the huge amount of overlap between the devices.

In a sense I agree with you. I'm sure that those who are disappointed that the iPad cannot replace their phone didn't actually buy it expecting that it could, obviously (particularly considering that the 3G version hasn't shipped yet). They just wish that it could. This feeling is actually a very good sign - they might have complained about some other practicality or lacking feature but picked one that they knew was never an option. It's a bit like looking for something to be disappointed about. These respondents must be pretty happy overall.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gotApple View Post

All the iPad can replace is an iPod Touch.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

And a netbook.

Now that Apple has the iPad out there, they have an opportunity to continue to advance the operating system along with advancing hardware so that before too long, netbooks won't be all it replaces. Apple has broken with the desktop/folder paradigm that had worked well enough when there were tens to hundreds to thousands of files on any given machine but now with millions, leaves users bewildered. iTunes and iPhoto were the start for Apple but iPhone OS continues the march away from the old days. How often does one see computer desktops strewn with files, many users cannot cope now and many of the users whom Apple is hoping to attract will have absolutely no interest in managing files.

The iPad is revolutionary not so much in what it offers us now but in the mandate and opportunity that it provides Apple. Only later will it be obvious just how revolutionary it is.
  • Reply 33 of 223
    maxmannmaxmann Posts: 85member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I can't believe how much I've spent for apps already.

I can't believe how impulse shopping mania has hit me..

What about the press?.. the people writing the results of these sensationally stupid consumer responses to something they must not have thought much about is amazing.

but, being in the news is "important" for a new product.. early adopters should really shut down for a month or two while others wonder why it isn't a phone.. a camera. and everything else they have on their computer for $499~!~ from APPLE!!!!

THE NEW IPHONE will make this thing toast! But, it is supposed to be an appliance after all.
  • Reply 34 of 223
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Apple did not market as a phone and if someone bought it thinking it was, well.............

Its a pretty compact device but not close to the compactness of a phone.

While compact and easy to carry, it won't fit in your pocket.

Even if you could make calls, are you really going to switch out sim cards between the iPad and your phone?

Not sure how people are reasoning this.
  • Reply 35 of 223
    sofabuttsofabutt Posts: 99member
    The biggest complaint I have of my Dyson vacuum is that it doesn't move the furniture.
  • Reply 36 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't agree. I think it can't replace a notebook but it can replace the reason most people got netbooks, for consumption and occasional or lite input . I found trying to type on the shrunken keyboard of a netbook to be a chore. iPad typing is fast, the only drawback to it is the need to constantly look at the display, but I had to with the netbook, too, because it's not full sized.

Except I wasn't talking about "occasional or lite input", but "taking lecture notes", which requires fast and precise typing that is just impossible on an iPad (though I will be honest and admit that I haven't tried it yet). This is pretty much the one thing everyone I know uses their netbook for.

Personally, I take 4-5 pages of written notes per lecture, and I can assure you that even the crappiest hardware-keyboard would be better suited to this task than a slate of glass. Nevermind the fact that there are netbooks with very good keyboards out there.

I'm not even trashing the iPad here, just saying that there are many people, especially in academic settings, who simply use netbooks as ultraportable note-taking devices, and the iPad is not very well suited to this task.
  • Reply 37 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

was it ever marketed to be a replacement for the iPhone???

that is a really a dumb complaint.

I agree. Who are these people who though that a 9.5" x 7.5" device would replace the phone that they slip in and out of their pocket??? That is just dumb.
  • Reply 38 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukas View Post

oh common netbooks are the biggest pile of sh*t i've ever seen..

seriously..all those ppl who are complaining about the ipads specs are total hypocrats.."it cant even multitask"..common seriously? try to run a browser with flash + word on a netbook..and - hey - why not connect a 1920*1200 screen to it? i bet you 100 bucks no 300$-netbook on this planet can handle this in an enjoyable way.

the ipad has pretty decent hardware for what it was build for..you cant run a full OS on a device that small.. doesnt matter if its a netbook or a tablet..but it wasnt built for that!

it was build for touch controls not for a mouse like a desktop pc..

and who gives a sh*t about a small adapter? just leave it on your goddamn camera-usb-cord and when u need it its there and it works..i dont see any problems?!

sry for the long post and bad grammar i was in a rush

Agreed - in a moment of madness last year I purchased an Asus EEE PC 900. Without doubt the biggest pile of sh*t I've used in my 30 years of computing. Slow, crap screen, pathetic battery life and the keyboard is impossible to type on without constantly having to correct yourself because the keys are so tightly crammed together and in slightly offset positions to the norm.

Mine has been gathering dust so I'm going to pop it on eBay along with my Power Mac G5 and get some money towards the iPad when it launches in the UK.
  • Reply 39 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parkettpolitur View Post

Except I wasn't talking about "occasional or lite input", but "taking lecture notes", which requires fast and precise typing that is just impossible on an iPad (though I will be honest and admit that I haven't tried it yet). This is pretty much the one thing everyone I know uses their netbook for.

Personally, I take 4-5 pages of written notes per lecture, and I can assure you that even the crappiest hardware-keyboard would be better suited to this task than a slate of glass. Nevermind the fact that there are netbooks with very good keyboards out there.

I'm not even trashing the iPad here, just saying that there are many people, especially in academic settings, who simply use netbooks as ultraportable note-taking devices, and the iPad is not very well suited to this task.

I'm sure some people can type just fine on the shrunken keyboard, and even move between keyboard sizes just fine. I qualified my post to not include everyone in my comment, but the users that I think are the average netbook buyers. I don't think the most common use for netbooks is in classrooms and my anecdotal experience with netbooks shows they are mainly for basic consumption using email and web browsing primarily.
  • Reply 40 of 223
    vmccvmcc Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

And a netbook.

No, it will not replace a netbook.