Twitter users' biggest complaint with iPad: it can't replace an iPhone

Comments

• Reply 101 of 223
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

Yes, and "for many people" a cellphone can replace a netbook. Your point is true, but trivial.

Except that, once again, a cellphone is a tool inappropriate to the set of tasks for which an iPad is ideal. Sort of like using a screwdriver handle to drive nails.
  • Reply 102 of 223
    Quote:

Modern netbooks have large keyboards. For example, the Dell Mini 10 has a keyboard which is 93% of the size of a "regular" keyboard, and others have keyboards which are even bigger.

We Know. They're called "LAPTOPS"
  • Reply 103 of 223
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

For those against the product, 24 percent were said to be "not thrilled" with the iPad

"Not thrilled" is a negative? Wouldn't it be counted as neither a positive or a negative?

Quote:

while 2 percent "hate" Apple's new device.

Likely those two percent have never tried or even seen iPad.

They hate anything to do with Apple and would complain if Steve Jobs handed them a $20 bill.
  • Reply 104 of 223
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

Where do you get your facts? How large is this majority you speak of? Or did you just make up the statistic out of thin air and your preexisting biases?

there was no statistic, just an alt view and a valid one.

For some, including perhaps even a few folks around here, a netbook is NOT their only computer or even their primary one. And it's not a shrunken laptop with a 'netbook' label slapped in it that can supposedly do all. It's a device for email, web browsing etc. during breaks at work, while on vacation etc. Heck my own roommate has a low end laptop given to him by work for when he does business trips, strictly for accessing his work email. He mentioned to me last night that the boss is already talking about switching them to ipads
  • Reply 105 of 223
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

Where do you get your facts? How large is this majority you speak of? Or did you just make up the statistic out of thin air and your preexisting biases?

I could ask you the same, your own pre-existing biases led you to reply to me did they not? If you must know, I read (a long time ago now) that most netbook users purchase them as secondary computers and use them mostly for browsing the web. I can't provide a link to an article I read more than six months ago, but I haven't seen anything since then that would suggest otherwise. If you do have information, please share. From experience as well, the typical computer users needs really aren't that great and my conclusion seems rational if you can step out of the tech world for a second.

Edit: You've already argued that a iPhone can replace a netbook for many people. You can't argue both sides of the fence just to discredit the iPad.
  • Reply 106 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, not to worry. Here's the definition of 'fanboy':

fanboy /fænˌbɔɪ/

- noun

1. A derogatory term used to describe those with whom one disagrees on a given subject.

2. A person who has a better argument than one on a particular topic. Typically, the usage is in response to points made to which one does not have a cogent response.

Fanboys fanboys watcha gonna do... watcha gonna do when they come for you...
  • Reply 107 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vmcc View Post

At this particular point in time I believe most people will be better served with a smartphone and a laptop.

At this particular point in time, most people will be better served with a desktop, iPad and smartphone, and at the same or lower cost.
  • Reply 108 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's not true. For many people, there's no need for a separate computer to use an iPad. You can do email, web browsing, create and view documents, print, move pictures from your camera, edit photos, etc. For lots of people, that's plenty of functionality without having a computer.

It is true because you need another system to use an iPad. Its not a standalone device. Like the iPods, Touch and iPhone the iPad needs to work with iTunes. The first thing you need to do with any of these devices when you turn them on for the first time is connect them with iTunes.

If you are saying some would pick an iPad over a netbook that is true based on their needs but the iPad isn't not in the same catagory as a netbook or for that matter any computer that runs a desktop OS.

A netbook is a standalone device, an iPad is not.
  • Reply 109 of 223
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

We Know. They're called "LAPTOPS"

An interesting point: What defines a netbook? Is it a display size smaller than x inches, less than a standard sized keyboard, running an Atom CPU or something else altogether.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

there was no statistic, just an alt view and a valid one.

For some, including perhaps even a few folks around here, a netbook is NOT their only computer or even their primary one. [...] It's a device for email, web browsing etc. during breaks at work, while on vacation etc.

I'd wager that is the how most of them were intended to be used. They really haven't been good for much else. Once they get past the Intel graphics and Flash 10.1 comes out they may be more useful for people.
  • Reply 110 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

It is true because you need another system to use an iPad. Its not a standalone device. Like the iPods, Touch and iPhone the iPad needs to work with iTunes. The first thing you need to do with any of these devices when you turn them on for the first time is connect them with iTunes.

You can do that at an Apple store. You certainly can use an iPad as a standalone device.
  • Reply 111 of 223
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Apple has stated quite clearly their reasons for not including Flash. It sucks batteries, performs slowly, and creates a security risk.

you forgot the most important reason of all. Flash is a mouse based tech. It doesn't work well with multitouch.

Quote:

That's not true. For many people, there's no need for a separate computer to use an iPad.

NO ONE needs a computer to USE an ipad. it's not a Wacom or a display. And you can even have it 'turned on' at the store when you buy it. At least at the Apple stores.

That's not the issue. It's what do you do when you need you ipad replaced because it's defective. Or you drop it, or it is lost/stolen. All the movies, music etc on it are gone. Apple is very clear in the terms that you don't get unlimited downloads on those. I haven't been in the books store but I wouldn't be shocked if the paid books are the same. You can't plug a drive to the ipad to back it up, you have to have a computer (something I hope they change in future versions)

And before anyone says "well they can back it up before they replace it". No. Apple will not do anything with your data. Has to do with customer privacy protection. They will not do anything that puts your information on their computers. Nor will they let you do it yourself.
  • Reply 112 of 223
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    What a useless device, can't make phone calls and doesn't fit in my pocket. what was apple thinking? they should make something that is small enough to fit in your pocket and makes phone calls....oh wait...

this story is bizarre. This is clearly not advertised as a phone or an iPhone replacement. I don't get it.
  • Reply 113 of 223
    Quote:

You can do that at an Apple store. You certainly can use an iPad as a standalone device.

Really so what does someone do that doesn't have an Apple store within 3000 miles? That has to be one of your dumbest statements so far and thats saying alot.

The iPad is NOT a standalone device.

I can restore a standalone device without hooking it up to another device. Can you do that with an iPad?

How do you plan to backup your iPad?

Calling the iPad a standalone device would be the same as calling the Touch or iPhone a standalone device and clearly they are not.
  • Reply 114 of 223
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

The iPad can be a netbook replacement the same way a netbook can be a laptop replacement for some people. The problem is that term "netbooks" has different definition depending on who you ask. For example:

Quote:

HP says Netbooks are smaller than 12 inches and intended as companion devices designed for "content consumption, while the traditional notebook PC is also designed for content creation as well as consumption."

Quote:

Acer says Netbooks "typically" have Atom processors, weigh less than 3 pounds, have screens between 10 and 11.6 inches, and are in the $299 range.

One is defining a netbook based on physical dimension and the other based on size and usage. Each is choosing the definition that fits their own marketing. Based on HP definition, the iPad is a companion device designed for content consumption and therefore can be a replacement for the netbook. However, as the article said netbook and notebooks is becoming more and more alike.
  • Reply 115 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Really so what does someone do that doesn't have an Apple store within 3000 miles? That has to be one of your dumbest statements so far and thats saying alot.

The iPad is NOT a standalone device.

I can restore a standalone device without hooking it up to another device. Can you do that with an iPad?

How do you plan to backup your iPad?

Calling the iPad a standalone device would be the same as calling the Touch or iPhone a standalone device and clearly they are not.

Yet, people use iPhones as standalone devices, and they will use iPads as standalone devices, too. Is it ideal, no. Is it possible, yes.

You are quite simply wrong in saying that it can't be used as such.
  • Reply 116 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

The iPad can be a netbook replacement the same way a netbook can be a laptop replacement for some people. The problem is that term "netbooks" has different definition depending on who you ask. For example:

One is defining a netbook based on physical dimension and the other include usage. Each is choosing the definition that fits their own marketing terms. Based on HP definition, the iPad is a companion device designed for content consumption and therefore can be a replacement for the netbook. However, as the article said netbook and notebooks is becoming more and more alike.

Here this should be good enough. Like all technology take note of the term 'rapidly evolving".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netbook

"Netbooks (sometimes also called mini notebooks or ultraportables) are a branch of subnotebooks, a rapidly evolving[1] category of small, light and inexpensive laptop computers suited for general computing and accessing web-based applications; they are often marketed as "companion devices," that is, to augment a user's other computer access."
  • Reply 117 of 223
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

They hate anything to do with Apple and would complain if Steve Jobs handed them a $20 bill.

What a cheap bastard! He could have handed me a benjamin...but noooo...all I got was this style over function uber thin twenty.
  • Reply 118 of 223
    I can't comment on the Dell units but I can categorically say that the Asus unit I have is a stinking pile of sh*t - the device is basically unusable other than for browsing the web or simple emails - if I happen to browse to a web page with flash you can literally see the damn thing crawl to a halt and the battery drain.

I know lot's of friends who fell for the net-book spin and now really regret it - it's akin to all the people who buy cheap laptops from Toshiba or Fujitsu et al - they are under specced and over sold.
  • Reply 119 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

So you agreed to something, i.e., using a netbook to take notes at university and dissed the iPad for the same purpose. Yet you own, or tried neither.

Could you let us know how you know that.

Who says I haven't tried netbooks? I'm just not using one in class right now (handwritten notes FTW )

I haven't used the iPad because I'm European. Sorry about that, I guess. However, it doesn't take a genius or even practical testing to come to the conclusion that a good (!) hardware keyboard will be superior to even a very good virtual keyboard in situations where very fast and accurate typing is required. My God, I'm dissing the iPad because I'm pointing out that there is one particular task for which netbooks might still be better suited? Please, Mr. Apple-zealot, forgive my iBlasphemy.
  • Reply 120 of 223
    Quote:

Yet, people use iPhones as standalone devices, and they will use iPads as standalone devices, too. Is it ideal, no. Is it possible, yes.

You are quite simply wrong in saying that it can't be used as such.

Its far less then ideal and its a safe bet that next to no one uses these devices as standalone. I thought buying an Apple product was to make your life easier yet to try and prove your false point you want to go around the world to make life harder.

Someone is going to spend money on music, software, Apps, ebooks and not back them up? Are you serious?

Here lets end this one and for all.

Directly from Apple.

iPad system requirements

Mac system requirements

Mac computer with USB 2.0 port

Mac OS X v10.5.8 or later

iTunes 9.1 or later (free download from www.itunes.com/download)

iTunes Store account

Internet access

PC with USB 2.0 port Windows 7; Windows Vista; or Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 3 or later

iTunes 9.1 or later (free download from www.itunes.com/download)

iTunes Store account

Internet access

Clearly Apple "you know the iPad vendor" does not see the iPad as a standalone device.