Apple set to reveal multitasking, iAd with iPhone OS 4.0 - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 145
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbro1999 View Post

Yes please! And make it work better with the Ford SYNC

What's the scoop on the Ford Sync as it relates to Apple products. I had crossed getting a new Ford off my list once I saw ads stating it used M$ technology for the entertainment system..
  • Reply 22 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

What's the scoop on the Ford Sync as it relates to Apple products. I had crossed getting a new Ford off my list once I saw ads stating it used M$ technology for the entertainment system..

It did work really well until the 3.1 update. Now everyone is having minor issues. It is on Apples side. I'm hoping 4.0 fixes these problems....

The phone part works great, its more problems with the ipod, and using Pandora/Slacker. It takes a while to index songs the first time and it also wont read the text messages to you. Other cell phones it will.
  • Reply 23 of 145
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2992 View Post

yeah, iAds... that's what I was missing from my phone: adds pO-Op'ing up everywhere...

Its big money.

Its 95% of Googles revenue.
  • Reply 24 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

My biggest hope is a robust file system, perhaps tightly integrated with iDisk.

Given that the iPhone is UNIX under the hood it already *has* a "robust file system." If you are talking about revealing this robust file system to the user and giving the user tools like an explorer type app or a GUI for navigating said file system it will never happen and it's quite a bad idea actually.

A part of the whole point of the iPhone OS is that it doesn't use abstract metaphors for accessing files. The file system access you seek is one of the main aspects of computing that people find confusing and have problems with. The iPhone OS is at least in part, an attempt to abstract all that file management completely out of the picture. This is a very good thing and one of the main reasons the iPhone is so useful for so many people.

What you will probably see is some kind of documents folder with direct access, much like the documents stack on desktop OS-X. This will load on the desktop as a thumb drive type of thing, whenever the phone is docked with a computer. Most likely drag and drop access will be provided.

People do need access to documents on the phone and they do need an easy way to do that. They *don't* however need a "robust file system" or access to same.
  • Reply 25 of 145
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbro1999 View Post

It did work really well until the 3.1 update. Now everyone is having minor issues. It is on Apples side. I'm hoping 4.0 fixes these problems....

The phone part works great, its more problems with the ipod, and using Pandora/Slacker. It takes a while to index songs the first time and it also wont read the text messages to you. Other cell phones it will.

That's great, I had incorrectly assumed Fords were a Zune zone only.
  • Reply 26 of 145
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Since Apple has a tendency to come up with its own definitions of 'industry standard' terms e.g. 'unlocked' (for the iPad is hardly so), it'll be interesting to see what they consider true 'multi-tasking'.

We'll find out soon enough...
  • Reply 27 of 145
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kellyconnor View Post

This analyst is useless! How many of his previous "predictions" have proven to be correct?!? He seems to take other rumors, claim that he checked with his "sources", and spits them back out in a report that's usually not born out! Laughable!

Correct, Shaw Wu is useless.

I think he just reads the various Apple rumor sites and then pulls his commentary out of a body orifice. I'll give people here three guesses, but you're only going to need one...

• Reply 28 of 145
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Oh admit it... you'd love to get carded again.

I went to a bar in san diego the other night, the doorman was carding people and I just looked at him and said "really?" and he said well .. maybe if you shaved 'next!'.
  • Reply 29 of 145
    iAd would only be a service if it blocks ads.

If, as you suggest, it pushes ads I wonder how many people will not upgrade to 4.0 just to avoid the marketing crap?

Hopefully (though I doubt it) you'll be switch off iCrap or whatever the marketing intrusion will be called.
  • Reply 30 of 145
    I still will place my bet that it won't be true multi-tasking, but the ability to pause a program (saving its state to a portion of the NAND chip) then coming back to its saved state when you want to go back to what you were doing. Personally, I would actually prefer this method as it won't impact your battery.

As for IM / Music and other "Live" apps, I'm sure some API is designed to make it so they can run in a sandboxed, low processor cycling mode so its impact to the battery will be low.

So, iPod Touch owners, have your next ten dollars ready? What I would find horrible is if they decided to charge iPad owners 10 dollars as well for this upgrade. What I would find delightful and morally correct, is if they charged iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad the same amount, be it free (prefered) or other wise.
  • Reply 31 of 145
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

In reality, Apple should leave everything to the user. They can design the framework and let us decide whether we want to enable a feature or not. Multitasking, toggle switch. Custom themes, toggle switch and so on and so on.

Sure. Apple should stop selling completed products - they should sell everything as a kit. You get a sheet of aluminum, a sheet of glass, and 2 pounds of sand. Your job is to convert the sand into integrated circuits and assemble and program the entire device.

For that matter, why don't toasters come that way. After all, some people might want the lever to be lower or higher than the norm. Or maybe they want the rheostat to go in the opposite direction.

Sheesh. What part of 'appliance' don't you get?
  • Reply 32 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Kid? I'm over the iPad name, but it would be disingenuous to say I was not disappointed. I expect every aspect of Apple's products to be well thought out, but recent naming decisions have been very sloppy.

Juliet:

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose

By any other name would smell as sweet."

Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2)

• Reply 33 of 145
    reliasonreliason Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I'm waiting for the MS software to crash the ignition system or something :-) Hopefully no one will be injured.
  • Reply 34 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

... So, iPod Touch owners, have your next ten dollars ready? What I would find horrible is if they decided to charge iPad owners 10 dollars as well for this upgrade. What I would find delightful and morally correct, is if they charged iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad the same amount, be it free (prefered) or other wise.

This has already been covered.

Apple says in the user agreement that if you buy an iPad, you get the point upgrades, as well as the next full number OS upgrade for free with the device. Since they have never charged for point upgrades, it seems that you would also get the next round of point upgrades free as well.

This means that if you buy an iPad with an OS that's 3.x, you get 3.y, 3.z, 4.x, 4.y, 4.z etc. all for free. It also seems likely that this will be the model for all their mobile products moving forward.

This seems eminently fair to me. If you keep an "iDevice" for longer than a couple of years, you *may* have to pay 10 bucks for an upgrade on the second go around.
  • Reply 35 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Given that the iPhone is UNIX under the hood it already *has* a "robust file system." If you are talking about revealing this robust file system to the user and giving the user tools like an explorer type app or a GUI for navigating said file system it will never happen and it's quite a bad idea actually.

A part of the whole point of the iPhone OS is that it doesn't use abstract metaphors for accessing files. The file system access you seek is one of the main aspects of computing that people find confusing and have problems with. The iPhone OS is at least in part, an attempt to abstract all that file management completely out of the picture. This is a very good thing and one of the main reasons the iPhone is so useful for so many people.

What you will probably see is some kind of documents folder with direct access, much like the documents stack on desktop OS-X. This will load on the desktop as a thumb drive type of thing, whenever the phone is docked with a computer. Most likely drag and drop access will be provided.

People do need access to documents on the phone and they do need an easy way to do that. They *don't* however need a "robust file system" or access to same.

Ya' mean I won't be able to create symlinks and set permissions during a phone call, while surfing the web listening to pandora and receiving Push Notifications to sell stock...

..and what could be more natural than doing a few grep file searches to idle away time...

...well then, I guess it just will not meet min requirements for a modern mobile OS

• Reply 36 of 145
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Its gonna be more than multitasking and iAd.

:

Yeah? Like what? Where do you get your info?
  • Reply 37 of 145
    SimCity 2000/3000/4000 on the iPad would rule!

SimTower.... any Maxis Game

And Monkey Island HD with better touch controls - not steering a crosshair but direct clicks. And more LucasArts games
  • Reply 38 of 145
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Um . . . SEARCH?

I think that is the point for many people.

Especially since its pretty much ready to go and just needs to be enabled and optimized a bit.
  • Reply 39 of 145
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Sure. Apple should stop selling completed products - they should sell everything as a kit. You get a sheet of aluminum, a sheet of glass, and 2 pounds of sand. Your job is to convert the sand into integrated circuits and assemble and program the entire device.

He never said anything like that, Troll.
  • Reply 40 of 145
    Forget about Flash, I want Java!