Apple set to reveal multitasking, iAd with iPhone OS 4.0 - report

Comments

• Reply 61 of 145
    freddychfreddych Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Actually, he apparently does.

Apple is consistently rated #1 (by far) in customer satisfaction among computer companies. That means that, on the whole, Apple does a better job of meeting customer needs than any other company in the industry.

One of the ways they do this is by keeping things simple. Apple would rather have 100 functions that work properly and work well together than 10,000 functions that are a jumbled mess and don't work well. If you need the 101st function, then the product might not be for you, but Apple was one of the first in the industry to realize that you can't be all things to all people - and that has accounted for a great deal of their success.

So, while no one would claim that Apple can always make EVERYONE happy, they do a better job than anyone else.

All this means is that Jobs knows what Fanbois want. MS market share is much higher than Apple's so it would seem that MS knows more about what the average consumer wants.

Although Apple seems to have the market cornered when it comes to MP3 players, so yes, Apple knows what consumers want when it comes to an MP3 player. Computers and phones? not so much.
  • Reply 62 of 145
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Given that the iPhone is UNIX under the hood it already *has* a "robust file system." If you are talking about revealing this robust file system to the user and giving the user tools like an explorer type app or a GUI for navigating said file system it will never happen and it's quite a bad idea actually.

I agree with you here. The whole "I want a file system" discussion is in reality the question of whether or not they should design their products for techies or general users.

I'm more than happy to not have a file system, as long as there is a sensible way to manage documents I create in Pages, I couldn't care less about where it actually is on the device.

The one thing I would like to see is wireless management of content. I don't mind the fact that managing what's on my iPod Touch, and iPad (when I get one) is mostly done on the Mac, but it does seem a bit last year that I need to plug the thing into the computer to be able to do that - I don't know why I can't do it on my wireless network.
  • Reply 63 of 145
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I just find it funny that Chairman Mao ZeJobs thinks he knows what's best for his buyers. He doesn't.

Based on Apple's financial performance over the past ten years, I'd say he does.

Sincerely,

iAAPLshareholderLaughingAllTheWayToTheBank
  • Reply 64 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freddych View Post

All this means is that Jobs knows what Fanbois want. MS market share is much higher than Apple's so it would seem that MS knows more about what the average consumer wants.

Although Apple seems to have the market cornered when it comes to MP3 players, so yes, Apple knows what consumers want when it comes to an MP3 player. Computers and phones? not so much.

I thought Apple had bigger market share for smartphones than Microsoft have?

I think you are right in that Jobs knows what a certain segment of the market wants, but I wouldn't say it's just Apple fans. Apples skill is knowing what general users want, and even more, the general users who are at the high value end of the market.
  • Reply 65 of 145
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

First the mild disappointment with the name iPad, now the sheer embarassment of "iAd" (if this is indeed the name)... Oofah! There's something wrong in the 'naming department'.

I agree that the name doesn't quite hit you straight off, but but with iPod being so well established the association was too strong to let pass. Also if, as Apple believe, this is the first of a whole new class of device present in every home, it will soon develop a generic name. A 'pad' or a 'slate'? My money is on the former.

Mind you, the 'Naming Department' made (or perhaps was compelled) the change from Powerbook, which worked so well on several levels, to MacBook Pro which er... doesn't.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Juliet:

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose

By any other name would smell as sweet."

Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2)

"A rose is a rose is a rose."

Gertrude Stein
  • Reply 66 of 145
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freddych View Post

Apple knows what ITS CUSTOMERS want. The fact that there are more people who are not Apple customers is irrelevant to that issue.
  • Reply 67 of 145
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

I am fully aware it won't happen. That's why jailbreaking exists. I just find it funny that Chairman Mao ZeJobs thinks he knows what's best for his buyers. He doesn't.

As a consumer, I fully support the idea that companies (such as Apple) should impose a single way to do things. When I buy a product, I don't want to have to decide between multiple ways the interface can work, or whatever. That decision is work! I'm paying someone else to do that work for me. I'd much rather be told "This is how you use it" than "You can use it one of many ways, and change it around in Settings".
  • Reply 68 of 145
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    The article implies (and it makes sense) that the ad api will be there for developers. It does not mean that you'll be seeing ads all over the phone from core apps.

If a particular irritates you with ads, give it a low score, and get rid of it. Easy enough. That's one thing I love about the app store. User feedback and scores right there for everyone to see.

Multi-tasking I could do without, but if it floats someone's boat and doesn't kill my batter (I'm hoping I can just turn it off for non-core apps), then no harm no foul.
  • Reply 69 of 145
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    I hope that iPhone OS 4.0 will allow us to QUICKLY enable/disable Bluetooth/3G/WiFi/GPS, etc. Right now, it's pretty cumbersome just to enable/disable a few items -- you have to go dig through the options pages.

That's one of the reasons why I jailbreak (in addition to tethering). With Sbsettings, I have quick access to all connectivity options with a simple swipe across the top bar:

• Reply 70 of 145
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:

I personally hope third party multitasking can be turned off. I don't have any need for it on my iPhone and don't want to suffer from the RAM and CPU usage of background apps if I forget to close them after every use.

Ha! I clicked on the comments in order to post exactly the same thing. (you were quick with 2nd post)

Yeah; just a checkbox in the Settings or something:

"Universal Multitasking - ON"

"Universal Multitasking - OFF"
  • Reply 71 of 145
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

...We will almost assuredly start to hear complaints about how short the battery life is in 4.x from the very people that screamed the loudest about 'we must have multi tasking'.

I will be very loud in my complaining if battery life is short because of multitasking. I will get up on my roof and scream, "why is battery life short in 4.0 because of multitasking when 3.x jailbroken iPhones with multitasking don't experience battery issues?"

My guess is that Apple will be able to do an even better job than the jailbreakers when it comes to efficient multitasking.
  • Reply 72 of 145
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:

Look up 'sarcasm'. You might learn something.

He suggested that Apple sell a system which was 100% user configurable - no standards, just a framework for the user to configure it however they wish. I merely took that argument to the extreme.

Taking an argument to the extreme is not sarcasm.

What the heck is your point?
  • Reply 73 of 145
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I hope that iPhone OS 4.0 will allow us to QUICKLY enable/disable Bluetooth/3G/WiFi/GPS, etc. Right now, it's pretty cumbersome just to enable/disable a few items -- you have to go dig through the options pages.

That's one of the reasons why I jailbreak (in addition to tethering). With Sbsettings, I have quick access to all connectivity options with a simple swipe across the top bar:

Me too.

Actually, I hope Apple is looking very closely at the jailbreaking community and adopting many more of their good ideas in addition to SBSettings, I'd like to see:

Categories (folders for apps)

iTunes WiFi sharing

And so many other things I often forget I hacked until I get a new unjailbroken iPhone and realize I miss all the features of my old one until the new jailbreak is available.
  • Reply 74 of 145
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:

I am fully aware it won't happen. That's why jailbreaking exists. I just find it funny that Chairman Mao ZeJobs thinks he knows what's best for his buyers. He doesn't. To answer your first question, I've been using them since I was very young.

What is wrong with you?

Apple is not your government. They are not your mommy.

They are a bunch of people who make things that THEY think are really cool (Jobs said this in the 1980s; he still says it today). It turns out a lot of other people think their stuff is really cool too.

If you don't like what they put out; go buy something that you do like. Just stop whining and crying because "Steve" won't do what YOU want him to. Contrary to what you believe, he is not here to do what you think is best for his buyers.
  • Reply 75 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

As a consumer, I fully support the idea that companies (such as Apple) should impose a single way to do things. When I buy a product, I don't want to have to decide between multiple ways the interface can work, or whatever. That decision is work! I'm paying someone else to do that work for me. I'd much rather be told "This is how you use it" than "You can use it one of many ways, and change it around in Settings".

In windows, common tasks can be accomplished in many different ways. One can use the method that one prefers.

One can right click, or use a pulldown menu, or an icon in a toolbar.

Indeed, it takes less thought, because it just works, pretty much no matter what method you prefer. Cryptic memorized "One-method" ways of doing things are inferior, IMO.
  • Reply 76 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

What the hell is wrong with you??

The topic of this thread is OS4, and not what is wrong with a particular poster.

Stop trying to hijack the thread, Troll.
  • Reply 77 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

What the hell is wrong with you??

take a flying ***k

stop whining and crying

a little bitch

Posters like this should be banned immediately.
  • Reply 78 of 145
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Ignoring that startlingly bad UI design for a moment ... why exactly would you want such instant and direct access to Bluetooth/3G/WiFi/GPS settings?

I've never met or heard of anyone who wants this (which is why it will never be in the OS), but I'm curious why whatever tiny group of individuals that *do* want it, do so.

The wireless networking features are all automatic, as they are in most phones. Why does anyone want to take a feature that pretty much works flawlessly in an automatic way, and manage it themselves? Not only that, why would it be so damned important to manage these automatic services that you'd want to have it on your main screen like that with a system wide gesture to implement it?

The only possible reason I can see is paranoia or trying to save battery life, but given the battery of the iPhone is probably the best in the industry, I'm leaning towards the reason being simple paranoia (like turning off GPS so "Big Brother" can't track you or whatever).

It just seems incredibly weird to me that you want this feature so badly.
  • Reply 79 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

And therein lies the argument.

Funny that people who desperately want their computer to be able to achieve the same thing a thousand different ways are happy to be able to sit in a car that will have a steering wheel to pick direction, push the pedal on the right to make it go, the one in the middle to make it stop and the one on the left to change gear!

I dread the day that you become allowed to pick which pedal makes a car stop
  • Reply 80 of 145
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Applecation View Post

While I understand the choice to maintain data with each application, for simplicity sake, I wish that there was a central storage option that all applications could access. iDisk works for me, but not everybody is willing to pay for it. Also, onboard storage is faster. ... The ability to shove something in the background while it is processing is pretty basic to a modern OS.

I totally agree.

I think I might have been a bit vague in making my point. All I'm saying is that I hope they don't turn the iPhone OS into "Linux on a phone" which is what some people seem to want.

There is a need for a documents folder or something similar and drag and drop access to it when the mobile device is mounted on another computer (hopefully regardless of whether it's your computer or not). There is also a need for some apps (Internet radio being the obvious one) to run in the background.

I'm hoping this can be done without introducing a management regime for things that I don't want to manage, and I'm somewhat of a computer expert/tech. I think the *average* iPhone user (non-techie), is in the same boat and doesn't want or need anything beyond simple access.

The people using the fact that a bit of multi-tasking goodness and file access is necessary, as a feint for the argument that the whole OS should be opened up or "Linuxified" are being disingenuous IMO.