Numbers - Exporting ONE sheet to Excel !!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
if you have more than one sheet in a Numbers document, is there a way to EXPORT just one sheet to Excel? There is no option to do that under the Export feature.

The alternative is to copy the one sheet into a blank new numbers document then export.

That's whacked.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O-Mac View Post

if you have more than one sheet in a Numbers document, is there a way to EXPORT just one sheet to Excel? There is no option to do that under the Export feature.

The alternative is to copy the one sheet into a blank new numbers document then export.

That's whacked.

Just delete the other tabs before exporting. Are you trying to set up an AppleScript to export multiple files automatically? If it's just one file, what's the problem?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Just delete the other tabs before exporting. Are you trying to set up an AppleScript to export multiple files automatically? If it's just one file, what's the problem?

Numbers treats each table as a worksheet in excel. so when you export a numbers file to excel it creates a sheet for each table.

What if the other tabs are important? I wouldn't want to delete them.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O-Mac View Post

Numbers treats each table as a worksheet in excel. so when you export a numbers file to excel it creates a sheet for each table.

Actually, isn't it the other way around? Excel treats each table as a worksheet. In Excel, you have one great big spreadsheet (worksheet). One table. Now you can combine all sorts of things (data) on that one worksheet, but it is still one grid.

Numbers allows you to create several individual spreadsheets (grids) on one blank canvas. I don't know the APIs for exporting a numbers document into an xls document, but maybe that's the way it has to be imported for Excel.

Quote:

What if the other tabs are important? I wouldn't want to delete them.

After you are finished exporting the document, is it possible to merge the Excel worksheets. A pain, to be sure, but is it doable?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Actually, isn't it the other way around? Excel treats each table as a worksheet. In Excel, you have one great big spreadsheet (worksheet). One table. Now you can combine all sorts of things (data) on that one worksheet, but it is still one grid.

Numbers allows you to create several individual spreadsheets (grids) on one blank canvas. I don't know the APIs for exporting a numbers document into an xls document, but maybe that's the way it has to be imported for Excel.

After you are finished exporting the document, is it possible to merge the Excel worksheets. A pain, to be sure, but is it doable?

Yeah, they can be merged but it would be a pain.

I was wondering if there was a one button way it did it.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    I don't know what your data looks like, but I'm assuming you have several Numbers tables on one canvas. Each one probably begins with Column A, Row 1.

Just as a test, what if you create an Excel-like spreadsheet, one big grid, and had your different tables in that one big grid. Would it still be exported into several worksheets?