Verizon CEO has told Apple he wants to offer the iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 87
    replicantreplicant Posts: 121member
    Is it me or this is getting ridiculous...Why "make him beg"? What is the bad blood between both companies? Is it because Verizon passed on the iPhone? That's it?? Talk about holding a grudge...

I hope Steve Jobs and Apple are smarter and won't let that get in the way of having Verizon, the largest mobile carrier in the US as a partner and gain access to the remaining half of the market.

With the momentum Android has shown recently maybe in the short term, you can lower your margins a little Apple?
  • Reply 22 of 87
    hezekiahbhezekiahb Posts: 448member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

I can only speak from my experience but in all the time I've owned an iPhone I have never once surfed the web or used a web dependent app whilst speaking on the phone. If the feature wasn't there I wouldn't notice.

And I use it so much I don't even know how I managed without it. Most notable example is how my wife is always calling me when she is out & about. She'll call me to ask directions, so while on the phone I pull up google maps & tell her exactly where to go. Love it!

I do think though it isn't going to be a deal breaker, instead I think bringing the iPhone to Verizon will really show people how overblown Verizon has been making all these map commercials. Verizon is so full of themselves, they really just don't get how unprepared they are for a flood of iPhone users.

I get so sick of them telling me my service is unreliable & that I can't trust in it when I need to. I came from Verizon and I can tell you my service is actually much better than before. Not only that but now I have an app that allows me to report directly to AT&T when I experience service issues. With Verizon I had to call their support, spend an hour with some guy asking me to check some numbers for them, then have him tell me that everything shows fine from their end. Of course it's fine from your end, it's my end that I'm calling about!!

Oh & don't ever ask a Verizon tech to understand why you'd want wifi on a phone. How many years after everyone else did they finally start adding wifi to their phones?
  • Reply 23 of 87
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by replicant View Post

Is it me or this is getting ridiculous...Why "make him beg"? What is the bad blood between both companies? Is it because Verizon passed on the iPhone? That's it?? Talk about holding a grudge...

No. It is because Verizon called the iPhone a "Digitally Clueless Beauty Queen".
  • Reply 24 of 87
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    I was kidding, but now that some of you are discussing it in earnest it's beginning to sound more interesting.
  • Reply 25 of 87
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulSorensen View Post

I'm sure Steve doesn't hate it when people he has business discussions with talk-up rumors by referring to them.

I personally believe that Steve does not care for rumors unless it is someone having to give a big "I'm sorry" because they passed up on his phone the first time around.

I think the secrecy culture goes back to handing Bill Gates over a few Mac's for software development and getting burned in the process. Call me crazy, but Steve has learned from that mistake with a huge knee jerk reaction. I can't say it hasn't worked because it has but it is frustrating for those of us who want to know the scoop.
  • Reply 26 of 87
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I was kidding, but now that some of you are discussing it in earnest it's beginning to sound more interesting.

I have a neighbor that I am friends with that is very high up in Verizon here in Atlanta and he told me last week that without a doubt the iPhone will be coming to Verizon.

I have no clue if its true or not but he 100% it will be at Verizon. So he clear knows something or thinks he knows something.
  • Reply 27 of 87
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Would the Verizon phone work for the big China provider too? Just asking, don't bite my head off!

Nah, the phone would need a different chip. China Mobile's 3G network is basically China-only CDMA; it is likely they created their own standard so as not to pay the licensing fees. Despite the huge population, China's per capita income makes it a relatively small iPhone market for the moment.

The other major CDMA markets are South Korea and Japan. From what little I know, both of these countries have cellular markets that are very difficult to crack and there is a substantial difference in what their users value in terms of phone functionality (for example, the iPhone in Japan isn't an "Osaifu-keitai", a digital wallet).

So the value of Apple building a CDMA iPhone is questionable in terms of a worldwide expansion standpoint, just because of the idiosyncratic nature of those markets. While they are large CDMA markets, it's not clear that many users would buy an iPhone. From a U.S. sales perspective, it's not a bad idea, but there are costs associated with designing, building, and supporting a different phone. Is it worth it to Apple? Hard to say.

Frankly, the fact that Seidelberg is publicly asking for a CDMA iPhone leads me to believe that Apple is not actively working on one. Plus, there should have been some evidence of Apple hiring a bunch of CDMA engineers. As far as I can tell, they have not.
  • Reply 28 of 87
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:

I

With the momentum Android has shown recently maybe in the short term, you can lower your margins a little Apple?

There is absolutely no need for Apple to lower its margins in the least. Certainly not for some supposed Android threat.

Looked at the stock lately?
  • Reply 29 of 87
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulSorensen View Post

If the CEO of Verizon quoted a rumor from the WSJ that Apple is building a CDMA phone for them, then it's unlikely that the rumor is true.

I tend to agree, but I'd love for them to get it. Usually when Apple gets partners they tend to clam up tight, which would certainly be more telling than this news.
  • Reply 30 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

There is absolutely no need for Apple to lower its margins in the least. Certainly not for some supposed Android threat.

And there revenue and profit market share.
  • Reply 31 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

No. It is because Verizon called the iPhone a "Digitally Clueless Beauty Queen".

Ah yes, the ad for the Motorola Droid...Quite disappointing for a 100$ million campaign. They could have used that money to pay Apple instead and have a better ROI
  • Reply 32 of 87
    hezetationhezetation Posts: 674member
    Quote:

Ah yes, the ad for the Motorola Droid...Quite disappointing for a 100$ million campaign. They could have used that money to pay Apple instead and have a better ROI

Everytime I see that DROID commercial talking about how responsive it is I laugh so hard I wet myself. Yup, dead last in touch screen responsiveness is great!
  • Reply 33 of 87
    Quote:

Yes and I kick myself for selling at 215$ a few months ago.

Regardless, the price of the stock right now is not an indication for the future. In the last quarter, it has been reported that Android's market share nearly tripled to 9% while Apple is flat at around 25% (Rim is still #1 at around 45%).

So yes, Apple needs to slow down Android's momentum. Android is a real threat and if you leave Google and their partners in crime room to grow they will spread like bad weed very much like Microsoft did with Windows a few decades ago.

What really drives programmers to develop for the iPhone is the sheer volume of the customer ba$e. Lose that and you will lose the developers and the battle. My 2 cents
  • Reply 34 of 87
    Quote:

Speaking of expensive campaigns that flopped, remember the $100M Sprint Samsung Instinct campaign failure?
  • Reply 35 of 87
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I have a neighbor that I am friends with that is very high up in Verizon here in Atlanta and he told me last week that without a doubt the iPhone will be coming to Verizon.

I have no clue if its true or not but he 100% it will be at Verizon. So he clear knows something or thinks he knows something.

Does your neighbor refer to himself as "very high up" ? How "high up" is he?
  • Reply 36 of 87
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Perhaps they are just "high"?
  • Reply 37 of 87
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I agree to an extent. Apple should open up to T-Mobile first. Verizon six months later. Verizon's network will actually be a let down to long time iPhone users.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

In the meantime more people will buy an Android phone. Apple should stop with the delays and go multicarrier as soon as possible.

I can only speak from my experience but in all the time I've owned an iPhone I have never once surfed the web or used a web dependent app whilst speaking on the phone. If the feature wasn't there I wouldn't notice.

• Reply 38 of 87
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

No he is actually rather modest. I know he is high up because I know his position in Verizon. Like I said I don't work for Verizon so I am just passing on what he told me.

In other areas of the country I am sure the ATT and Verizon coverage issue is truly and issue but when you live in ATL like I do you can have either and it doesn't really matter the coverage map is about the same for voice and data. I am in one of two places most of the time Atlanta or New York so I can use either and it makes no difference.

The only major carrier I avoid is T-Mobile.
  • Reply 39 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I agree to an extent. Apple should open up to T-Mobile first. Verizon six months later. Verizon's network will actually be a let down to long time iPhone users.

T-Mobile USA does seem the obvious fit but after the FCC photos revealed that only 3 bands for 3GSM are in the unlocked iPad I have to wonder if Apple will include the 4th band to make it T-Mo compatible.
  • Reply 40 of 87
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:

Wow. That sounds exactly like something overheard in Apple's boardroom circa 1987. How did that one work out for you?