Apple's iPad can stay in bag for airport security screenings

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The U.S. Transportation Security Administration announced Tuesday that fliers who bring an iPad through security will conveniently be able to leave their device in its carry-on bag, unlike with a traditional laptop.

According to The Associated Press, the government agency said that most who travel will not need to remove the iPad from their bag, because the device is relatively small and doesn't have "bulky" accessories such as external drives. Those accessories can make it difficult for X-ray scanners, who see a cluttered image when a laptop and all of its accessories go through the machine in a bag.

However, the TSA cautioned that fliers may still be asked to remove their iPad if the scanners cannot get a clear image of the device.

Spokesman Greg Soule told the AP that the TSA is in the process of telling its employees how to handle the iPad for screening procedures. With 300,000 sold on the first day alone, and a 10-hour battery life perfect for watching movies or playing games on the go, it's a device they'll likely run into on a somewhat regular basis.

The convenience could be important to business-minded users who travel a lot and need to do light computing on the go. A March survey found that the No. 1 planned use for the iPad from prospective customers was working on the go.

Tuesday's report noted that although laptops, such as Apple's MacBooks, generally have to be removed from bags, some laptop sleeves that lie flat in an airport X-ray machine are considered acceptable. Such "checkpoint friendly" bags can be purchased online, though the TSA does not approve of specific bags.

"But it has encouraged manufacturers to design bags that will allow screeners to obtain clear images and give travelers the best shot of being able to keep computers in their bags," the report said.

At just 0.5 inches thick, 1.5 pounds in weight and with no physical keyboard, the iPad has been pitched by Apple has being thinner and lighter than any laptop or netbook. The Wi-Fi-only version of the device is now available with a starting price of $499. The 3G-capable model, which will allow travelers Internet access on the go through AT&T's wireless network in the U.S., is due to arrive later this month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Oh darn, I was hoping to see some bullet holes in the iPad to see how tough it was.

just kidding

macbook_allegedly_shot_by_israeli_security_officer s

The iPad will BLEND!! Shock!
  • Reply 2 of 29
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Luckily I don't have any security horror stories, but I fly so much now I feel like the dude from Up in the Air when he's got his motions memorized going through security. If I could bypass taking my laptop out, that would be nice. Any little thing helps when you feel rushed because of the long line behind you, or if you're cutting it a bit short to your departure time.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    easy288easy288 Posts: 80member
    If this were a computer then the flyer would need to take it out and be prepared to turn it on. Because it is not a computer, the flyer doesn't have to.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by easy288 View Post

If this were a computer then the flyer would need to take it out and be prepared to turn it on. Because it is not a computer, the flyer doesn't have to.

Seriously? Did you even READ the article?
  • Reply 5 of 29
    ltmpltmp Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Luckily I don't have any security horror stories, but I fly so much now I feel like the dude from Up in the Air when he's got his motions memorized going through security. If I could bypass taking my laptop out, that would be nice. Any little thing helps when you feel rushed because of the long line behind you, or if you're cutting it a bit short to your departure time.

I know the feeling. I watched that movie while on a flight. I kinda wanted to cry for myself.

I also talked to a TSA security guy the other day, about the iPad.

He explained that it's the batteries that cause problems. They look like a big brick of explosive.

Your iPad will get pulled out (and you'll probably have to go through secondary screening) if there are any wires near it.

So keep your power cord in a separate bag, or remove it from the bag before putting it through.

Edit: He couldn't explain why a wire near the battery was worse than all the electronics attached to it, he just said that wires that look like they might be attached to the "explosives" are what trigger the secondary examination.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Odd. I would think TSA screeners would at least like to see the iPad turned on and functioning. I'm going to bet they revise this later.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Odd. I would think TSA screeners would at least like to see the iPad turned on and functioning. I'm going to bet they revise this later.

Why? if they can see a clear image of it, what would be the point? And BTW, no TSA person has requested I turn on my laptop since 2002.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Why? if they can see a clear image of it, what would be the point? And BTW, no TSA person has asked me to turn on my laptop on in years.

I had to turn mine on for the first time ever a couple of weeks ago. I was flying from Canada to the US. Its the only time out of about 20 flights to the US this year, so it isn't standard practice.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by easy288 View Post

I fly quite a bit for work - I've never had to turn on my MacBookPro or <gulp> Dell. Simply removing them from my bag and placing them in their own tray seems to satisfy the TSA.

At least if the iPad does need to be turned on, it's one button and 'ON' in 2 seconds.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    oxygenhoseoxygenhose Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LTMP View Post

I know the feeling. I watched that movie while on a flight. I kinda wanted to cry for myself.

I also talked to a TSA security guy the other day, about the iPad.

He explained that it's the batteries that cause problems. They look like a big brick of explosive.

Your iPad will get pulled out (and you'll probably have to go through secondary screening) if there are any wires near it.

So keep your power cord in a separate bag, or remove it from the bag before putting it through.

Yes those batteries are a huge problem for TSA, ya know, because it's ALWAYS Americans, business commuters, college kids and families trying to blow up airplanes. I'm sure glad that they've added yet another complexity to the absurdity of our feign at politically correct airport security. Such a wonderfully diverse list of special procedures for screening specific make/model of personal electronics, but not one specific procedure for perhaps, and I'm just throwing this out... religious fanatics and/or foreign paramilitary?

Don't even get me started on "airline mode".
  • Reply 11 of 29
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

Yes those batteries are a huge problem for TSA, ya know, because it's ALWAYS Americans, business commuters, college kids and families trying to blow up airplanes. I'm sure glad that they've added yet another complexity to the absurdity of our feign at politically correct airport security. Such a wonderfully diverse list of special procedures for screening specific make/model of personal electronics, but not one specific procedure for perhaps, and I'm just throwing this out... religious fanatics and/or foreign paramilitary?

Ah, yes. Firesign Theatre had the dibs on this gig many, many years ago with their famed "We're All Bozos On This Bus" comedy album.

It still plays well today in our Paranoid States of America.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    Quote:

lol uh oh, I can tell where this discussion is going.

Look, no matter what you or Ann Coulter say, airport security will not profile the way you talk about.

How do you profile a "religious fanatic"? Do you really think they are incapable of claiming they aren't a religious fanatic? Or that a "foreign paramilitary" can't disguise themselves?

I'm not so naive to think profiling isn't already happening, but we can't make it policy. I do find it absolutely pointless when security grabs grandma and pats her down (and yes, I honestly have seen this at Regan national airport.)

What we need is a more streamlined method to get through security, plain and simple. There have been so many times where there are only 2 or 3 lines, but then another 10 or so are closed, and there are a bunch of workers standing around bullshitting. It kind of reminds me of the check out lines at the grocery store; Not all lanes are open, and there are long lines in a few lanes with workers standing around bullshitting.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    this is great. the iPad is similar to a toaster - meaning it is a nice appliance that does exactly what it is advertised to do. hmm, i wonder if they'd make you unpack a toaster.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:

They stopped asking when it was discovered the length of time it takes for a PC laptops to start up was causing a massive, nation wide delay in flights. Just kidding
  • Reply 15 of 29
    And this is news why?
  • Reply 16 of 29
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Don't be ridiculous. Timothy McVeigh was as dangerous as any foreigner - and he looked just like an American college kid. Put your racism away for once.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Another pro for the iPad. It's now deemed more travel friendly than laptops, and therefore netbooks too. Jobs seems to be right, "Netbooks aren't better than anything." They're not better at traveling either even though the netbook screens are smaller than an iPad.

Oh wait that's not necessarily better either.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    old-wizold-wiz Posts: 194member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Why? if they can see a clear image of it, what would be the point? And BTW, no TSA person has requested I turn on my laptop since 2002.

Airport security has not showed any interest in my laptop for quite a while either. They seem more interested in my shoes (ordinary sneakers) and hearing aid.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

And this is news why?

Well lets see here, recently there was an article that said that the #1 use for the ipad would be for business purposes, and since travel is sometimes a big part of working people's lives, the thought of bringing an ipad instead of a laptop is now even sweeter knowing that you don't have to go through the hassle of pulling out your laptop, then putting it all back in it's bag once you're through the metal detector. You might not care about something like this, but for someone who's trying to decide if they should bring their laptop or their ipad, this new may help influence their decision.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Well lets see here, recently there was an article that said that the #1 use for the ipad would be for business purposes, and since travel is sometimes a big part of working people's lives, the thought of bringing an ipad instead of a laptop is now even sweeter knowing that you don't have to go through the hassle of pulling out your laptop, then putting it all back in it's bag once you're through the metal detector. You might not care about something like this, but for someone who's trying to decide if they should bring their laptop or their ipad, this new may help influence their decision.

It isn't that big a deal. However, if it could run full blown filemaker and VPN, I'd be all over it.