iPad and photos: unanswered questions

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
There are two troubling questions I have regarding the iPad and it's handling of photos, the answers of which could very well lead me to regret getting the smallest capacity iPad.

1. The iPad Camera Connection Kit

In it's description, the iPad Camera connection kit states that it supports the importing of RAW photos. Now, this connector is identical to the one offered in 2005 for the 4th Generation iPod, and in that case the iPod could import RAW photos, but solely for storage; it could not display them. So the question remains whether the iPad will be able to display RAW images, or simply import them for storage.

2. Which photos will it use?

I have three devices that contain my photos: my Mac, my iPhone and my Apple TV. Each device automatically uses different versions of the photos, ranging in quality best suited for the display; I don't get a say in the matter, iTunes just does it. In the Mac's case, my photos require 38GB of space. On the Apple TV, they consume 10GB of space. And on the iPhone, only 3GB of space. So which will the iPad use? If the answer to my first question is, "yes the iPad can display RAW images", then it's possible that it would use the original files found in iPhoto. That would not bode well given that the iPad I ordered is only 16GB. If the answer is no, however, I would hope that it would use the same photos as those used for the Apple TV; if a picture is good enough for a 1280x720 device then they should be good enough for a 1024x768 device.

It's unfortunate that Apple was not more clear on either of these points, as I would imagine more people would have ponied up for the 64GB model if they realized they'd be carrying around RAW photo libraries.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

There are two troubling questions I have regarding the iPad and it's handling of photos, the answers of which could very well lead me to regret getting the smallest capacity iPad.

1. The iPad Camera Connection Kit

In it's description, the iPad Camera connection kit states that it supports the importing of RAW photos. Now, this connector is identical to the one offered in 2005 for the 4th Generation iPod, and in that case the iPod could import RAW photos, but solely for storage; it could not display them. So the question remains whether the iPad will be able to display RAW images, or simply import them for storage.

What do you think?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

2. Which photos will it use?

I have three devices that contain my photos: my Mac, my iPhone and my Apple TV. Each device automatically uses different versions of the photos, ranging in quality best suited for the display; I don't get a say in the matter, iTunes just does it. In the Mac's case, my photos require 38GB of space. On the Apple TV, they consume 10GB of space. And on the iPhone, only 3GB of space. So which will the iPad use? If the answer to my first question is, "yes the iPad can display RAW images", then it's possible that it would use the original files found in iPhoto. That would not bode well given that the iPad I ordered is only 16GB. If the answer is no, however, I would hope that it would use the same photos as those used for the Apple TV; if a picture is good enough for a 1280x720 device then they should be good enough for a 1024x768 device.

There are many ways to get pictures into the Photos.app on the iPad. Only one way, that I know of, to get RAW photos onto it, the Camera Kit. RAW files will be big, and incredibly vivid and zoomable on the iPad. Deal with it. 16 gb model is fine. A few gigs at a time off a Camera is realistic.....Your entire 38 gb RAW collection is NOT realistic and not at all what the iPad is intended for. If you want that entire collection on there, use iTunes, and they'll be converted down to a more practical and just as nice-looking resolution.

If it turns out that RAW looks so good on the iPad that you really do want only RAW photos on it, get and AirStash, and you can carry unlimited wirless storage for the iPad.

16 gb may seem low, but 64 gb isn't that much more. Not when your thinking of storing your entire RAW photo collection on it.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Now that the iPad is released, could someone take a stab at these who has one? Thanks!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Can't believe I'm the only one who has an interest in RAW display on iPad...

I have an ipad now, and as a test i emailed, posted, and linked myself to a .NEF RAW file. In all cases, the iPad only displayed a tiny jagged thumbnail in the middle of the screen. Am i doing someone wrong? If this is what RAW "support" is going to look like when the camera connection kit, it leaves much to be desired.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    [QUOTE=Cory Bauer;1606688]Can't believe I'm the only one who has an interest in RAW display on iPad...

You are not alone. I am using Nikon D90, always making raw. Planning to visit US in May and buy iPad64G for internet, mailing... and also storing my photos from SD cards (SDHC) for first look and decision to leave or throw away.

Can You answer:

- did You try storing raw photos via card-reader (from the "kit"?

- .NEF to iPad, then to computer?

- not SD but SDHC ?

- and at last: can we see real picture of raw photos on iPad?

Thank You beforehand