Verizon CEO has told Apple he wants to offer the iPhone

Comments

• Reply 61 of 87
    quadquad Posts: 13member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

T-Mobile USA does seem the obvious fit but after the FCC photos revealed that only 3 bands for 3GSM are in the unlocked iPad I have to wonder if Apple will include the 4th band to make it T-Mo compatible.

I know but isn't there concern from the FCC over a depletion of the current spectrum? This would be good then because it would broaden the range...
  • Reply 62 of 87
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I have a neighbor that I am friends with that is very high up in Verizon here in Atlanta and he told me last week that without a doubt the iPhone will be coming to Verizon.

I have no clue if its true or not but he 100% it will be at Verizon. So he clear knows something or thinks he knows something.

Hell will freeze over some day, too. We just don't know when.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

What company wouldn't want to offer the iPhone?

Well, perhaps those who don't want to meet Apple's terms.

But still...

That's exactly the point. Even if the statement is true and Verizon has told Apple they want the iPhone, Apple couldn't care less. Now, if Verizon says they want the iPhone AND will agree to Apple's terms, there's a chance.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

That's the reality for most of AT&T's iphone customers since most of the network is still edge.

First statement is false, second statement is true.

In terms of geographic coverage, Edge covers slightly more of the US than 3G. In terms of population coverage, well over 1/2 of the US is covered by 3G at any given time.
  • Reply 63 of 87
    ?Eventually, it?s our view we?ll get to carrying Apple"

http://www.intomobile.com/2010/04/06...ples-call.html
  • Reply 64 of 87
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Strategically, I think we are coming to the right time for a Verizon iPhone. The next year will be the LTE/CDMA version. RIM might be losing share, but Android and Windows Mobile will be a threat if Apple can't hit at least two or three carriers.
  • Reply 65 of 87
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Steve Jobs is saving a Verizon IPHONE for his ace in the hole, when he needs a lift to Apples EPS and Revenue. Right now Apple is firing on all cylinders. If they go to verizon now an encore would be hard. Maybe by 2011
  • Reply 66 of 87
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    The very happy AAPL investor in me thinks this is a great idea to get access to the millions of potential iPhone buyers. The regular-joe in me thinks that he should be getting on his knees and start apologizing big time! VZ had its shot and they let their ego get in the way. I say make him suffer some more.

It's short-lived anyways. With Android being the iPhone killer it is right? VZ should hold its breath for Steve Jobs to come begging to him right?
  • Reply 67 of 87
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    If I was the Verizon CEO, I would certainly try to give the impression whenever possible that I was about to get the iPhone, so there's no need for my customers to switch to get it. This would be my strategy regardless of whether or not it was true.
  • Reply 68 of 87
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I have a neighbor that I am friends with that is very high up in Verizon here in Atlanta and he told me last week that without a doubt the iPhone will be coming to Verizon.

I have no clue if its true or not but he 100% it will be at Verizon. So he clear knows something or thinks he knows something.

I think the most we can conclude from this is that your friend THINKS he knows something. Which tells us nothing, but thanks for the story.

Thompson
  • Reply 69 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

I think this is what Steve was waiting for... kinda a semi public mea culpa from Verizon's Head Honcho for Steve's satisfaction. Verizon will soon be included in the mix.

Kill the Droid too. Think Apple will make an iPhone while Verizon sells a clone mired in the courts?

Ya - keep telling youself what you need to hear to get to sleep at night while your marketshare tanks like Sprint, Verizon.

I have the fork - let me know when you're done.
  • Reply 70 of 87
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member
    Last July, Verizon would probably have agreed to anything that Apple had demanded. Now they are in a much better bargaining position. The Droid's taken off. Android in general is continuing growing exponentially, the newer Android devices are now substantially better than the iPhone. Verizon would love to have the iPhone as there are no doubt thousands of subscribers who would buy one. But if they haven't yet switched, the majority of them are unlikely to do so now. Right now, Apple needs Verizon more than Verizon needs Apple to stop their market share from continuing to stagnate or worse drop.

Apple is going to have to come up with a release cycle much faster than a year. Even if they hit 4.0 out of the park, it will just be months before some Android phone will trump it again.
  • Reply 71 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

Last July, Verizon would probably have agreed to anything that Apple had demanded. Now they are in a much better bargaining position. The Droid's taken off. Android in general is continuing growing exponentially, the newer Android devices are now substantially better than the iPhone. Verizon would love to have the iPhone as there are no doubt thousands of subscribers who would buy one. But if they haven't yet switched, the majority of them are unlikely to do so now. Right now, Apple needs Verizon more than Verizon needs Apple to stop their market share from continuing to stagnate or worse drop.

Apple is going to have to come up with a release cycle much faster than a year. Even if they hit 4.0 out of the park, it will just be months before some Android phone will trump it again.

Totally agree.

I hope Verizon denies Apple again.

Android's continued monopoly on Verizon will accelerate its growth that much more.

And competition is a great thing.
  • Reply 72 of 87
    zc456zc456 Posts: 96member
    I said this on MacRumors and I'll say it here: Verzion must be desperate if they really want to iPhone. That's saying something.
  • Reply 73 of 87
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    pure speculation on my part - but if the quote is indeed true - could it be a sort of underhanded way to either make people decide that if Apple will not work with Verizon then forget Apple or a way of putting the pressure on Apple from a public perception perspective - in other words rather than secretly meet with Apple while Apple has the upper hand - you publicly say well I am willing to work with Apple but so far they have not been willing to work with me - which them makes it Apple's problem to solve.
  • Reply 74 of 87
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

Apple to Verizon: "Bite me!"

i'd let them wallow in it for a while, and if a transition cdma phone is needed before a LTE/gsm compatible unit comes out have verizon pay for the development and chip design/ mobo costs

i still don't see apple making A single phone for a single company. isn't that the power the telecoms had over the manufacturers...namely telecoms TOLD the manufacturer feature phone set

why should SJ go backwards

but business is business, if the bottom line and subsidy make sense then expand market

but maintain those margins

the biggest reason verizon wants the iphone isn't technology, better phone, features etc

its to STOP THE BLEEDING OFF OF CUSTOMERS.

as far as the "droid" and android....its a fragmented OS, some phones can download and use the latest apps, others can't there have been many articles on this confusing state of android

the 2g 3g 3gs work, who in the iphone world worries about UI and apps available

the cost to ATT to keep, attract, customers has to be much lower than verizon trying to hold on to their base.

how much advertising dollars does ATT spend to get someone to their system

its about keeping the customers at verizon home, don't let anyone fool you into believing anything else.
  • Reply 75 of 87
    ifoneifone Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by replicant View Post

Yes and I kick myself for selling at 215$ a few months ago.

Regardless, the price of the stock right now is not an indication for the future. In the last quarter, it has been reported that Android's market share nearly tripled to 9% while Apple is flat at around 25% (Rim is still #1 at around 45%).

So yes, Apple needs to slow down Android's momentum. Android is a real threat and if you leave Google and their partners in crime room to grow they will spread like bad weed very much like Microsoft did with Windows a few decades ago.

What really drives programmers to develop for the iPhone is the sheer volume of the customer ba$e. Lose that and you will lose the developers and the battle. My 2 cents

I have to say, I've used an Android phone and its touchscreen responsiveness is nothing....nothing...compared to the iPhone. Don't believe the hype, the Android phone is no competition to the iPhone and I think iPhone OS 4 will send all these wannabees right back to the drawing board.

I agree, VZ should have spent the 100 mil trying to get the iPhone instead of marketing a POS like the Droid.
  • Reply 76 of 87
    [QUOTE=Orlando;1606321]In the meantime more people will buy an Android phone. Apple should stop with the delays and go multicarrier as soon as possible.

It is multi-carrier, just not in the USA as GSM is not so prevalent for some reason. Doesn't seem so realistic to make a CDMA version when there are plenty of other users worldwide and CMDA is a relatively small market.
  • Reply 77 of 87
    ifoneifone Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

pure speculation on my part - but if the quote is indeed true - could it be a sort of underhanded way to either make people decide that if Apple will not work with Verizon then forget Apple or a way of putting the pressure on Apple from a public perception perspective - in other words rather than secretly meet with Apple while Apple has the upper hand - you publicly say well I am willing to work with Apple but so far they have not been willing to work with me - which them makes it Apple's problem to solve.

When has Apple ever bowed to public perception? If this is VZ's strategy, then they desperately need to go back to the drawing board....
  • Reply 78 of 87
    the biggest reason verizon wants the iphone isn't technology, better phone, features etc

its to STOP THE BLEEDING OFF OF CUSTOMERS.

as far as the "droid" and android....its a fragmented OS, some phones can download and use the latest apps, others can't there have been many articles on this confusing state of android

the 2g 3g 3gs work, who in the iphone world worries about UI and apps available

the cost to ATT to keep, attract, customers has to be much lower than verizon trying to hold on to their base.

how much advertising dollars does ATT spend to get someone to their system

its about keeping the customers at verizon home, don't let anyone fool you into believing anything else.[/QUOTE]

The last market report that I read in Feb. showed that A.T.T. had not taken any market share from Verizon since they got the iPhone. The report stated that most of the iPhone users were already ATT customers.
  • Reply 79 of 87
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hotmarkb View Post

Why would Apple make a CDMA IPhone?

If someone in the USA wants an IPhone they are willing to switch carriers if Nessessary.

If for some reason they cannot or do not want to, or the area they live in is not in the coverage zone. I would say they are 5 or 10% of the population Max.

Why would Apple spend money developing a CDMA phone for such a small market? The rest of the world uses GSM. It is not worth wasting their time!

It would be cheaper for Apple to give AT&T money to build their network to cover everyone in the USA then charge them for it through Iphone usage!

This ultimately is the key point people need to remember. It's the same reason there isn't a physical keyboard (multilingual support can be programmatically changed instead of adding time and money to the physical manufacturing process.)

If GSM is what the world uses, and Apple intends to keep manufacturing cost at a minimum, it makes sense for their goal to be manufacturing a generic device that can be fitted into a specific part of the world with the least amount of effort possible.

Does anyone here run their iphone on T-Mobile? How's that working out?
  • Reply 80 of 87
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix2004 View Post

“Eventually, it’s our view we’ll get to carrying Apple"

http://www.intomobile.com/2010/04/06...ples-call.html

I could see it if Verizon was willing to help with some of the manufacturing cost (to fit a cdma radio in the phone.) They won't do that though because if AT&T is already barely turning a profit, it means they are staying as competitive as possible, and Verizon would hemorrhage money just to say they offer the iphone while competing cost wise with AT&T. That, or the cost of an iphone on Verizon would just have to be more expensive than on AT&T.

IF there ever is a CDMA iphone, I guarantee you people will not only use it on Verizon, but hack it to use it on Sprint as well.

It's really looking like Apple is letting Android have CMDA, which right now is a LOT of sales. Everyone here can talk up a storm about how GSM is what the world uses, and CDMA is dying technology, but CDMA won't be gone anytime soon. Will someone really keep their cdma iphone for 10 years?