WSJ: After strong initial demand, some lines for Apple iPad 'thin'

15678911»

Comments

• Reply 201 of 203
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    If you learned to touch-type, the iPad keyboard a bigger adjustment then if you are a hunt and peck or thumb typer. I am in the process of learning to allow my fingers to hover over the home row, and type more slowly than I am used to with a mechanical keyboard, which helps. I suggest you keep with it for a few days or even weeks.
  • Reply 202 of 203
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 222wekebu View Post

Four days, and I still can't get used to this tiny keyboard. I'm a petite woman and my fingers still hit the wrong keys. I have to look to verify I'm on the right keys. Someone suggested an external keyboard, but that seems silly. I'm beginning to think I should have gotten a netbook, but I'm hoping I can get used to what is really no keyboard. How long do you think it will take to adjust, if at all? I'm sorry to vent, but I'm frustrated. This is my first Apple product and I guess I expected more with all the hype.

If you thought you'd be writing novels on the iPad keyboard you expected too much. It's really for light typing only, I would say. That said, i netbook keyboard stinks too due to its small size, and doesn't have any auto-correction like the iPad. If you're stationary when typing, and doing a lot of it, look into a little bluetooth keyboard. Otherwise, try watching your fingers instead of your words when you type. That might help.
  • Reply 203 of 203
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 222wekebu View Post

Four days, and I still can't get used to this tiny keyboard. I'm a petite woman and my fingers still hit the wrong keys. I have to look to verify I'm on the right keys. Someone suggested an external keyboard, but that seems silly. I'm beginning to think I should have gotten a netbook, but I'm hoping I can get used to what is really no keyboard. How long do you think it will take to adjust, if at all? I'm sorry to vent, but I'm frustrated. This is my first Apple product and I guess I expected more with all the hype.

Everyone is different:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2362063,00.asp

http://gizmodo.com/5509265/ipad-test...-and-keyboards

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/03/e...uctivity-tool/

The keyboard in horizontal mode isn't really that small. The keys are almost full size. Most netbook keyboards are as small, or even smaller than this, though they do have more keys.

Virtual keyboards are different, and it can take a bit of time to get used to. If you fight it, it will be more difficult. But virtual keyboards are still new, and people are used to buttons. This is considered to be one of the best virtual models available, but if you can't get used to it then you might have to try another way. In the beginning of mouse use, some people couldn't get used to that either, and before them, they couldn't get used to memorizing hundreds of two and three letter combos.

I wouldn't blame Apple, and I wouldn't blame you. Some things don't mesh.