Verizon CEO has told Apple he wants to offer the iPhone

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 87
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

as far as the "droid" and android....its a fragmented OS, some phones can download and use the latest apps, others can't there have been many articles on this confusing state of android

Despite the "confusion", Android is growing MUCH faster than iPhone OS. How do you dismiss Android so quickly?

Most predictions are that Android will soon overtake Apple in market share. Dozens of different phones will run Android. Already the Android app supply has reached critical mass - there is no shortage of compelling Android apps for just about any consumer. And the supply is growing fast.

Do you really think that Android has no future?
  • Reply 82 of 87
    timontimon Posts: 152member
    First, I'm a Mac users from the MacPlus days and the first Mac I owned was a MacIIx and I've had many Macs since then. The only reason I bring this up is do quash any comments about being anti Apple.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

The iPhone on Verizon will actually be good for Apple and AT&T. Users will be frustrated when they can't surf the web or use web dependant apps while on the phone.

I've found the same with my Droid in that about 95% of the time I have had no reason to have data and voice at the same time. The times I do, mainly when using GPS functions, however I've really wanted it. That said if/when I switch from my Droid to a iPhone there has to be three things in place. The iPhone has to have both LTE and CDMA not just CDMA, it has to allow multi-tasking and I really would like to have widgets. I have those features on my Droid and really can't see having an iPhone without them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Agreed....and Verizon (and the rest of the carriers) won't have a big enough LTE footprint until 2012-2014. At least AT&T can fall back on 3G with the current LTE technology. Verizon can't even fall back on CDMA....CDMA is not backward compatable with LTE.

You have never read how Verizon is making the move to LTE, you need to read up on it before making such a statement. Verizon has stated that all of their 4G phones will have both CDMA and LTE because the voice standard part of LTE has not been ratified. CDMA will be used for voice and LTE for data until both LTE voice is standardized and all cell towers in the US have LTE. When that happens they will they drop CDMA and go LTE only.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Everytime I see that DROID commercial talking about how responsive it is I laugh so hard I wet myself. Yup, dead last in touch screen responsiveness is great!

The Droid may not have the best responsiveness in lab tests but I've not had a problem in using the device. Bottom line is it's the REAL WORLD that counts not some lab test.

Anyway I for one hopes that a Verizon iPhone will be announced that includes LTE for data and that the device comes anytime around the end of the year. If that happens any other features are present then I switch. If not I'll stay with my Droid.
  • Reply 83 of 87
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

I think this is what Steve was waiting for... kinda a semi public mea culpa from Verizon's Head Honcho for Steve's satisfaction. Verizon will soon be included in the mix.

or not. Apple rejected CDMA in the beginning. Even to the point that when they went to China they didn't made a CDMA phone even though that tech is like 85% of the service in China (if not higher)

Plus LTE is on the horizon.

Apple is not known for wasting time with dying tech but rather for looking ahead. They are more likely to push for faster LTE pick up than mess with CDMA

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

It makes more sense from a revenue perspective for the iPhone to come first to T-Mobile USA for both companies, not the iPad.

or both.

a lot of it depends on the various legal and tech details by both sides for T-Mobile to be fully compatible with the iphone and the ipad. there are folks that unlock already even with downgraded service so there's something there to start with. If the details aren't too prohibitive then it's more likely that's the first step we'll see.
  • Reply 84 of 87
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

or not. Apple rejected CDMA in the beginning. Even to the point that when they went to China they didn't made a CDMA phone even though that tech is like 85% of the service in China (if not higher)

Apple is not known for wasting time with dying tech but rather for looking ahead. They are more likely to push for faster LTE pick up than mess with CDMA

CDMA is the least used cellular technology in China.
    China Mobile » TD-SCDMA » 530M subs »*72%

China Unicom » GSM » 150M subs » 20%

China Telecom » CDMA » 60M subs » 8%
  • Reply 85 of 87
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

Despite the "confusion", Android is growing MUCH faster than iPhone OS. How do you dismiss Android so quickly?

Most predictions are that Android will soon overtake Apple in market share. Dozens of different phones will run Android. Already the Android app supply has reached critical mass - there is no shortage of compelling Android apps for just about any consumer. And the supply is growing fast.

Do you really think that Android has no future?

This "confusion" will be much less in the future. The biggest reason for it was because of the high development cycle of Android in the recent year. Once it hits "maturity", the time between major OS releases will lengthen and minor updates will happen throughout the year. This will allow the manufacturers (HTC, Samsung, LG, Motorola, etc) time to update anything on their side.

Google also plans on breaking Android down to the core OS functions and put the rest of the features (Maps, Navigation, browser, Gallery, etc) on the Market, where they can be freely updated. This allows the carriers to focus on validating the "phone" core that directly affects them, resulting in quicker approval times.

Whether this works or not is yet to be seen. But it definitely shows Google has a path forward answer the fragmentation. The whole "Android is doomed because of fragmentation" argument is really getting stale...
  • Reply 86 of 87
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

1) How do you know?

2) I did not buy Apple in 1987 (although, I wish I did: The price was ~$6; I would have got eight years of dividends too).

3) I hope you know that we are in the 21st century.

1. I don't "know." Its called sarcasm.

2. Are you really arguing that Apple in the late 1980s, dismissing Windows and overcharging customers, made the right moves?

3. So we have nothing to learn from the past? Interesting.
  • Reply 87 of 87
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

or both.

a lot of it depends on the various legal and tech details by both sides for T-Mobile to be fully compatible with the iphone and the ipad. there are folks that unlock already even with downgraded service so there's something there to start with. If the details aren't too prohibitive then it's more likely that's the first step we'll see.

Actually, Verizon (CDMA) rejected the iPhone first. This whole argument about Apple's supposed refusal to make two versions of the iPhone is garbage because Apple was willing to make two versions. They tried to and couldn't come to terms with Verizon.

Verizon's network is going to be a hybrid of CDMA and LTE for years. Apple is not going to be able to get away from CDMA anytime soon. At whatever point they take the plunge they are going to be looking backwards and forwards at the same time.