Apple set to reveal multitasking, iAd with iPhone OS 4.0 - report

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 145
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

When my kid uses his netbook, he often uses multiple programs at once: video chat, Web browser for Facebook, an IM client, and background stuff like downloading data.

Why wouldn't he want the same flexibility with an iPad? I realize that the iPad doesn't have the horsepower to do that stuff all at once, but why wouldn't the kid want it?

A phone is one thing, but a couch-computer is another thing altogether.

First, he's probably not using all of those things at once. 99% of the time, when someone says they're multitasking on a portable device, they're really talking about fast task-switching -- which the iPad already does.

Furthermore, there are tradeoffs. He may not realize that he's giving things up by doing that. In the case of a low powered device like the iPad, you're giving up a LOT for marginal benefit. Apple, unlike the rest of the PC world, seems to be able to take tradeoffs into consideration and has avoided the "the more features we add, the better the product will be" mentality.
  • Reply 142 of 145
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Juliet:

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose

By any other name would smell as sweet."

Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2)

If a rose was called an "iPad"... both Romeo and Juliet might have a problem with that.
  • Reply 143 of 145
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Ignoring that startlingly bad UI design for a moment ... why exactly would you want such instant and direct access to Bluetooth/3G/WiFi/GPS settings?

I've never met or heard of anyone who wants this (which is why it will never be in the OS), but I'm curious why whatever tiny group of individuals that *do* want it, do so.

The wireless networking features are all automatic, as they are in most phones. Why does anyone want to take a feature that pretty much works flawlessly in an automatic way, and manage it themselves? Not only that, why would it be so damned important to manage these automatic services that you'd want to have it on your main screen like that with a system wide gesture to implement it?

The only possible reason I can see is paranoia or trying to save battery life, but given the battery of the iPhone is probably the best in the industry, I'm leaning towards the reason being simple paranoia (like turning off GPS so "Big Brother" can't track you or whatever).

It just seems incredibly weird to me that you want this feature so badly.

It doesn't matter if the iPhone 3GS has the best battery life, we can make it better by turning features on and off depending on our preference. Things like GPS are a real power hog. There is a small application called "Switcher" on Android which has four simple icons for turning features on and off and I love it. There is no reason the iPhone shouldn't have the same.
  • Reply 144 of 145
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    I'm hopeful that OS 4.0 gives us ways to increase battery life and to BOOST 3G signal.

Sounds like I-AD is in. I don't think people are going to be to enthused about having ads in their APPS, MOVIES, GAMES etc. Depending how they execute this it could be a distraction.

In any case I'm not expecting too much in the announcement Thursday. More important will be the actual HARDWARE that IPHONE 4.0 will have, and for that I think we will have to wait till JUNE.
  • Reply 145 of 145
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

First, he's probably not using all of those things at once. 99% of the time, when someone says they're multitasking on a portable device, they're really talking about fast task-switching -- which the iPad already does.

Exactly how fast is this task switching on iPad? Many apps on my iPhone 3G seem to take 5 seconds, some even take 10 seconds to fully load up, is iPad 4x or more faster than that on typical apps?