in iPad edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Direct link

http://chitika.com/research/2010/mee...al-time-stats/

Stats page

http://labs.chitika.com/ipad/

Gives valuable information about people inclined towards adopting new technology.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Direct link

http://chitika.com/research/2010/mee...al-time-stats/

Stats page

http://labs.chitika.com/ipad/

Gives valuable information about people inclined towards adopting new technology.

Californians are quite progressive! No surprise there.

A very cool page, in any case.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Californians are quite progressive! No surprise there.

A very cool page, in any case.

If the stats are to be believed, the highest concentration of iPads by population is in... Montana! Followed by that other bastion of forward thinking, Iowa!
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

If the stats are to be believed, the highest concentration of iPads by population is in... Montana! Followed by that other bastion of forward thinking, Iowa!

Those figures are "Population per iPad" not the number of iPads seen from that state.

Caught me too the first time I saw it.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

Those figures are "Population per iPad" not the number of iPads seen from that state.

Caught me too the first time I saw it.

Ack. So it means just the opposite.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    some of the lowest states in iPad ownership, Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota have NO AT&T service so no iPhone owners to go buy an iPad.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Ack. So it means just the opposite.

Yea something like that, more like the saturation rate. The lower the better, means less fighting and finger smudges per iPad in circulation.

California is home to Silicon valley and a lot of software firms, so they all likely got iPads to code for.

Then I'm sure there's a few eccentric types with just too much money who built Beowulf clusters of iPads just because they can.

I wouldn't go by California too much as a customer level adoption rate with the information they provide, the other states are a better reflection in my opinion.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Uh oh,

Someone posted this neat trick on another AI thread today:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdoyle View Post

Hi,

Just had a play trying to view this on my Mac. If you go to the URL, apple bumps you back to the main Apple Manuals page. To "Trick" Apple's website into thinking you are on and iPad, do the following

1. Switch on Develop Menu under Advanced settings

3. Under the Development dropdown, go to User Agent/other

4. Paste in the following string

"Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU iPad OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16"

5. Try again to load the URL for iPad help, "http://help.apple.com/ipad/mobile/interface/";

6. Apple's site thinks you're on an iPad!!

So a lot of those California iPad's showing up on chitika labs, may actually be SDK's or people using the trick above.

Very snappy on my MacBook Pro too, like on a iPad. Hmmm...

Works on iPad sites too...
  • Reply 9 of 22
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member

Weren't there any number of posts (likely more than 500,000) here on Ai and the Nets that predicted the iPad would mot sell and would be an iFAIL?

I will proudly be adding to the number sold in a couple of weeks when it is release worldwide...
  • Reply 10 of 22
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Weren't there any number of posts (likely more than 500,000) here on Ai and the Nets that predicted the iPad would mot sell and would be an iFAIL?

I will proudly be adding to the number sold in a couple of weeks when it is release worldwide...

Where's Tekstud? I feel like shoving his face in something or other... Look, the iPad will be, in 2010, the most successful consumer tablet device by units sold. By the middle of the year, a few million sold in the US alone. By the end of the year, when international launches commence, when 3G models are launched... We're looking at 5 to 10 million units total in 2010.

BTW Hi Berg. It's been a while, huh.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Where's Tekstud? I feel like shoving his face in something or other... Look, the iPad will be, in 2010, the most successful consumer tablet device by units sold. By the middle of the year, a few million sold in the US alone. By the end of the year, when international launches commence, when 3G models are launched... We're looking at 5 to 10 million units total in 2010.

Sure has.

500,000 sold so far... and the thing isn't available worldwide yet. Now there'S a rumor a 5~7 inch version may be released next year. If that comes out, I'll have to get a third for the car, maybe a dedicated one for the kitchen, one for the cat... Oh, don't have a cat... Get one for the cat I don't have...

---

BTW, noticed in yur quote of my poast how mini typos was in it. My sincear apologies too awl.

• Reply 12 of 22
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    It's now 600,000 . . . .

At least according to the counter. That thing is more like a timer. It's registering a new iPad like every second. They measure it by IP address.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It's now 600,000 . . . .

At least according to the counter. That thing is more like a timer. It's registering a new iPad like every second. They measure it by IP address.

Well then it's not accurate.

Apple states they sold 450,000 iPads,

so that leaves 150,000 SDK's or people testing iPad sites using the above Safari browser agent modification or just roaming around with iPads

So much for internet tracking, glad Apple is posting their numbers.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

Well then it's not accurate.

Apple states they sold 450,000 iPads,

so that leaves 150,000 SDK's or people testing iPad sites using the above Safari browser agent modification or just roaming around with iPads

So much for internet tracking, glad Apple is posting their numbers.

They said on their site that the way they are counting is by guessing the percentage of total advert share they have online and then using the number of iPad users clicking their ads and extrapolating the data to make an assumption about how many iPads are out there.

Their guess was sitting at 750k or something until Apple released the actual figures (which includes iPads not sold to customers) and then they corrected their algorithm. It's still highly inaccurate as it assumes that the percentage of people clicking their ads vs others stays fairly even.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

They said on their site that the way they are counting is by guessing the percentage of total advert share they have online and then using the number of iPad users clicking their ads and extrapolating the data to make an assumption about how many iPads are out there.

Their guess was sitting at 750k or something until Apple released the actual figures (which includes iPads not sold to customers) and then they corrected their algorithm. It's still highly inaccurate as it assumes that the percentage of people clicking their ads vs others stays fairly even.

Well I let them know about the changing the browser agent trick and SDK's, they can add that to their algorithms too.

I suspect Apple knows developers and the media might lean towards pumping the numbers and is heading them off before a disaster occurs.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

omg

YOUR L T D ???

wow your like a god over there

and you never even said hello over here after all our convo's over there

anyway a few of my mac freak buds in my work area in nyc went out and bought ipads for all ttheir kids and partners and co- workers

so every day they are setting up ipads for someone

and they won't let me even touch one

grrrr

its seems like the perfect one handed subway > ferry // gaming email movie tv show play back device

i hope the ITB comes out soon

peace dude

ltd lol !!!!
  • Reply 17 of 22
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

every version of techstub got banned so he is sulking until ...... well until something happens ......

peace

• Reply 18 of 22
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Uh oh,

Someone posted this neat trick on another AI thread today:

So a lot of those California iPad's showing up on chitika labs, may actually be SDK's or people using the trick above.

Very snappy on my MacBook Pro too, like on a iPad. Hmmm...

Works on iPad sites too...

Is there any benefit to digitally masquerading as an iPad unless it's another tablet? I don't think it makes sense to use the SDK simulator to go browsing about.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Mods...why ban the spammer (albeit quickly!) yet leave the links?
  • Reply 20 of 22
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Mods...why ban the spammer (albeit quickly!) yet leave the links?

It might have been a fluke, say maybe the spammer made that post in the middle of the banning process. The way it works is that the posts are deleted first, then the person is banned, there is a small window of time where a post might slip in.

It's gone now.